• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

16 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Is 'GPM' on the Tropical Tidbits recon page just a reference to meters.  Is this plane 3 km up?

Altitude: 2989 gpm

Google usually helps.  GPM sounds like a unit of speed or fluid flow, not altitude.  Oh, 954 mb, the ADT was w/i 1 mb of interpolated plane pressure.

3 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Google usually helps.  GPM sounds like a unit of speed or fluid flow, not altitude.  Oh, 954 mb, the ADT was w/i 1 mb of interpolated plane pressure.

Oh! I believe that GPM stands for geopotential meters, which is a measurement of altitude. 

"Geopotential height approximates the actual height of a pressure surface above mean sea-level. Therefore, a geopotential height observation represents the height of the pressure surface on which the observation was taken."

interesting note: Hurricane Katrina made landfall on Aug 29, 2005 at 11:10z at the Mississippi River delta.(Monday morning). Hurricane Ida will be making landfall on Aug 29 2021, most likely a little west of the Mississippi River delta, on a Sunday.

Edit: Katrina also continued made a landfall near Gulfport, MS and Bay St. Louis MS a couple of hours later.

I saved this image on GRLevel3 (which was a relatively new program at the time) Time Zone is Eastern

RtibBZs.png

• Like 1

I like to watch TWC during hurricanes for the trainwreck quality but they’ve just outdone themselves. They said goodnight, I figured it was a new rotation of staff coming in, local on the 8’s started... and local on the 8’s stayed. I think they all went to bed. :lol: There’s no coverage, just a loop of graphics and REALLY repetitive music. 10/10

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

There were some pretty bad takes, especially from a pro forecaster like Eskimo joe, on this.

Lake effect king made one post and was spot on. 

hopefully though this doesn’t turn out as bad as it looks.

most were off on either strength or landfall position. My take is still in play!

I can't believe I am up all night following this thing.  RI took off.

• Like 1