• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Windspeed

1 minute ago, Tezeta said:

No plane is amazing for the board. Without in situ obs to ground our posts we can project our own fantasies more effectively. 

Gonna be last year's Eta hilarious fantasy chaos as the next plane approaches the center.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Gonna be last year's Eta hilarious fantasy chaos as the next plane approaches the center.  

Yeah. The greatest moments happen when everyone is making stuff up. Constant recon spoils the magic. 

10 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

No plane is amazing for the board. Without in situ obs to ground our posts we can project our own fantasies more effectively. 

Setting the O/U on the term “annular” being used at 3.5 hours.

7 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

One of the most hilarious moments I’ve seen on AmWx :lol: 

Just now, turtlehurricane said:

I'll be first to officially call that this is becoming a Cat 5 tonight, it's totally obvious with pinhole eye and solid ring of deep convection. 160-180 mph winds. Caveat is ERC is coming, so hopefully recon gets there before ERC in order to verify.

Apparently this post is too hot for main thread so I'm putting it here. 

It’s ok. prospero and I accept you on our island of misfit toys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Go to the real Ida forum and want to comment. But the banter is better for me.

Hanging out at the "Ida Bar and Grill" is lose and fun. Although I was wondering if we need an Ida Banter-Banter thread as well. LOL

Another mission turned back during a peak time. UGH! Again!

No matter what tomorrow morning is when it's time for the really serious stuff. Even on the real thread it is still an educated stream of consciousness of opinions and ideas. Ida is real, for sure. Still not a Yucatan looking storm.

image.png.7658dfdb96875cf2ad68bcedfa2cccf1.png

There is an off topic thread for IDA also so 3 threads. Talk of shrimp people, shrimp people land, 5 day bans that are then reversed, etc.  These threads are making we want shrimp and fries.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

Buoy just off SE Louisiana gusting to 105 mph. Possible temporal anomaly? Did Ida get so strong that it is shredding apart space-time?!?

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 10.39.37 PM.png

It is strange. Says "SE at 105 MPH", but the graph shows around 60-70.

I've looked all over SailFlow and don't see that buoy so can't look there.

image.thumb.png.6060eff56b6774c66c41e595d12ff6b8.png

4 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Ida looks strong, but still not perfect. I'd be concerned being in its way, but relieved the hype so far is fading.

Good thing it hasn't reached where we were thinking it would be, at least so far. Dry air trying to come in.

It’s going to be a beautiful tornado.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Ida looks strong, but still not perfect. I'd be concerned being in its way, but relieved the hype so far is fading.

Good thing it hasn't reached where we were thinking it would be, at least so far. Dry air trying to come in.

Now hang on...if this still ends up reaching a Cat 4...what hype would be faded? Has that not been the forecast? As @40/70 Benchmark alluded to...even intensification at the rate of the last several hours would still put us there!

• Like 2

So, going over Cuba may have caused it's weakened potential? All those strange little issues with the eye and the convection around it that never let a full-blown intensification happen. Sure, why not. Some kind of land-swirl from Cuba that followed Ida into the hot ass Gulf with very little shear. Seemed to be stacked and symmetric, but the lingering Cuba affect hung on.

I'm sure there is a better explanation, but I'm not a met, just an old watcher.

:)

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Now hang on...if this still ends up reaching a Cat 4...what hype would be faded? Has that not been the forecast? As @40/70 Benchmark alluded to...even intensification at the rate of the last several hours would still put us there!

Granted I accept it could even be a Cat 5 tomorrow morning. But I along with many expected 4 or 5 today. I did have my doubts being a "Gulf" storm, but probably deep down thought I was way wrong.

When I went to bed last night I thought I'd wake up to a solid 2 or 3.

I will be up early tomorrow and can't even take a wild guess right now. Might be the same as it is now, give or take a Cat.

Does look good now though...

4 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Granted I accept it could even be a Cat 5 tomorrow morning. But I along with many expected 4 or 5 today. I did have my doubts being a "Gulf" storm, but probably deep down thought I was way wrong.

I will be up early tomorrow and can't even take a wild guess right now. Might be the same as it is now, give or take a Cat.

We really won't know until we know. Everyone(media included)thought NO had escaped...and then the flooding started being known...not to mention that 300+people would have died in MS/etc even if nobody was killed in the NO metro area. Katrina did not look so good coming in. We all know what happened. This is still up in the air somewhat-looking closer and closer to NO proper also. 

We will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it somehow struggles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Did you just say "give or take a Cat?" Hahaha 

I'm just picturing a met giving a forecast..."Yeah so we got a hurricane about to hit us--gonna be 3...give or take a Cat" Lol

• Haha 3