• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

5 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I was obsessed on another forum (being me), remember the "eye" discussion as it left the Florida coast when everyone thought it would develop much earlier. But reminded of the eye getting it together seeing the clip. Wow, so many storms since then.

But if I remember right, it never reached the hype level even though being devastating to New Orleans. I do remember a horrible storm surge I think around Gulfport, MS.  

Did you just say Katrina didn’t live up to the hype???

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This thing basically checked all the boxes on making it a difficult call for a mandatory evacuation.  It's a rapidly strengthening system headed in the general direction of a pretty good sized metro area with not a lot of time between Cuba and US approach.  I am no expert on contraflow though.

Absolutely. But... when your city sits 1-2 meters below sea level, the decision to at least evacuate the low lying areas yesterday should have been a no brainer.  16 years ago should still be fresh in the minds of the mayor and her administration.  There really is no excuse. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Absolutely. But... when your city sits 1-2 meters below sea level, the decision to at least evacuate the low lying areas yesterday should have been a no brainer.  16 years ago should still be fresh in the minds of the mayor and her administration.  There really is no excuse. 

Seems like more than just the mayor messed up here.  

9 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Historically yes it did.

It took a while for it to manifest. But hey, I was watching weather channel and landfall was not what we were expecting. The after effects were more than anyone imagined.

I remember seeing the decaying appearance on satellite and posting something along the lines of New Orleans dodging the bullet and getting lucky.  I was thinking about the winds and not the overall situation.  We still seem to obsess over top wind speeds and barely discuss surge.

• Like 2

Yea, I'm not pinning the responsibility on her solely.  Orchestrating an evacuation is tedious and there are many working parts.  Unfortunately,  she will take the brunt of blame either way. (Damned if you do, damned if you dont situation.)  She is the face of the city, and it's part of the job description. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I remember seeing the decaying appearance on satellite and posting something along the lines of New Orleans dodging the bullet and getting lucky.  I was thinking about the winds and not the overall situation.  We still seem to obsess over top wind speeds and barely discuss surge.

And rain. Oh the rain.

2 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Yea, I'm not pinning the responsibility on her solely.  Orchestrating an evacuation is tedious and there are many working parts.  Unfortunately,  she will take the brunt of blame either way. (Damned if you do, damned if you dont situation.)  She is the face of the city, and it's part of the job description. 

Remember Ray Nagin ?  Apparently he is now on house arrest in New Orleans.  Bet he is not looking forward to reliving that ordeal 

4 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

And the crazy are just arriving

If they are streaming PLEASE share!

It is Saturday night with Ida doing her/its best to get it together. We are watching drooling for excitement (of course hoping nobody gets hurt).

Daytime landfall on a Sunday? When does that happen?

Sitting in Tampa Bay safe and sound, only a couple hours of work in the morning, and all day to be here with two 4K monitors with sats, models, this forum (and others if this gets boring which it will not), and watch Weather Channel.

Need live streams galore!!

Remember how FEMA provided trailers after Katrina?  In 2019 FEMA sold another batch of trailers that were never used.  They cost taxpayers an average of $ 65k each and were auctioned off starting at just $100

https://www.wjhg.com/content/news/FEMA-trailers-stored-at-Texas-airport-being-auctioned-off-for-a-fraction-of-what-they-cost-505664771.html

6 minutes ago, laferri2 said:

I love hurricane discussions on here, there's always one group of people saying the hurricane is looking weak and one group saying it looks like it's getting stronger. Both groups are looking at the same radar. :lol:

Lots of wishcasting going on.

OK who agrees?

My wish:

Ida gets her eye and RIs into a Cat 5, reaches near the LA coast to justify evacuation but not that bad and shifts east staying offshore bringing fun and excitement to the Florida Gulf coast (not too bad, but thrilling even for Tampa Bay), then moving west to the Texas coast giving everybody a taste there maintaining a perfect eye, then going east through the channel between Cuba and Florida allowing the Keys and Miami to have some fun, up the eastern coast brushing Cape Hatteras intensely (they are used to it, can handle it, and love it) then drifting up the east coast past VA and sitting for a day or so off NJ becoming a Cat 5 sub-tropical Hurricane and slamming NJ so nobody will ever mention Sandy again. 

A perfect eye the entire week long adventure.

Right? :)

3 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Remember how FEMA provided trailers after Katrina?  In 2019 FEMA sold another batch of trailers that were never used.  They cost taxpayers an average of $ 65k each and were auctioned off starting at just $100

https://www.wjhg.com/content/news/FEMA-trailers-stored-at-Texas-airport-being-auctioned-off-for-a-fraction-of-what-they-cost-505664771.html

Wait until you discover the defense budget

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Prospero said:

OK who agrees?

My wish:

Ida gets her eye and RIs into a Cat 5, reaches near the LA coast to justify evacuation but not that bad and shifts east staying offshore bringing fun and excitement to the Florida Gulf coast (not too bad, but thrilling even for Tampa Bay), then moving west to the Texas coast giving everybody a taste there maintaining a perfect eye, then going east through the channel between Cuba and Florida allowing the Keys and Miami to have some fun, up the eastern coast brushing Cape Hatteras intensely (they are used to it, can handle it, and love it) then drifting up the east coast past VA and sitting for a day or so off NJ becoming a Cat 5 sub-tropical Hurricane and slamming NJ so nobody will ever mention Sandy again. 

A perfect eye the entire week long adventure.

Right? :)

As long as it permanently disables your internet, I'm in.. 

• Haha 3