Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Thank you captain obvious  :P  

Hey, some people might even say that it's unnecessary to actually correct people that a hurricane doesn't have boy or girl parts.

But not me, I would never say that. I respect everyone's right to object to something.

4 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Hey, some people might even say that it's unnecessary to actually correct people that a hurricane doesn't have boy or girl parts.

But not me, I would never say that. I respect everyone's right to object to something.

Some people might say that it is unnecessary to point out sarcasm for an argument that has continued for years, but here we are   :P   

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

If the NHC didn't want regular folks calling storms "he" or "she" then they probably shouldn't use a list of names that clearly alternates between male and female sounding names. I know its more properly an "It" but I understand why people would call it a "she" or a "he." 

We should have stuck to the NATO alphabet

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Louisana has been getting destroyed by hurricanes the last 2 years. Just last year they had Laura (High end Cat 4), Delta (High End Cat 2), and Zeta (Upgraded to Cat 3)

Nine named storms have been in the Gulf of Mexico. Eight named storms have made landfall along the U.S. Gulf Coast

Maybe we shouldn’t be living there. I was thinking that all day yesterday when people were talking about evacuation difficulties. Perhaps Mother Nature is trying to tell us something. It’s only going to get worse as climate change accelerates, sea levels rise, and our political system stays dysfunctional. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Since it's 2021 maybe we should just ask Ida what it/she/he/zhe/they identify as instead of us just assuming?

Her preferred gender pronoun is her, but she told me that she's sick and tired of the male gaze. 

A chief complaint is the saffir-simpson scale. Looking her up and down all day, then rating her on a scale two white men came up with? Figures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I think Ida looked better an hour and half ago. Maybe just me.

Will Ida have a well-defined eye by noon EST? I have my doubts.

She’s looking better in the last two minutes than she did 7 minutes ago tho 

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

We are going to need a bigger infrastructure bill

Indeed. They weren’t lying when they said climate change is going to cost trillions. What’s nuts is that Louisiana is a relatively cheap example. The east coast of Florida will one day have its hurricane barrage and that will be so much worse. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Indeed. They weren’t lying when they said climate change is going to cost trillions. What’s nuts is that Louisiana is a relatively cheap example. The east coast of Florida will one day have its hurricane barrage and that will be so much worse. 

We've been very lucky around Tampa Bay. VERY lucky.

9 minutes ago, Prospero said:

We've been very lucky around Tampa Bay. VERY lucky.

I came across an abstract for an article published in the AMS Journal of Climate earlier this year that predicts that "Florida’s Gulf Coast is projected to see significant increases in TC activity relative to the long-term historical mean" through the 2030s. I searched the forum to see if there has been any discussion on this but didn't turn up anything but it will be interesting to see if this happens.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I think Ida looked better an hour and half ago. Maybe just me.

Will Ida have a well-defined eye by noon EST? I have my doubts.

On the one hand I get some optimism that maybe this thing won't strengthen as fast as feared, but on the other hand it could actually be worse if it only strengthens gradually then explodes just before landfall.  I'd like to see it peak early then hit an ERC and weaken just before landfall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

If the NHC didn't want regular folks calling storms "he" or "she" then they probably shouldn't use a list of names that clearly alternates between male and female sounding names. I know its more properly an "It" but I understand why people would call it a "she" or a "he." 

THIS. I never understood why the hoity toity crowd used to get their panties in a bunch over it. I grew up in the 1990s watching old documentaries like "A Lady Called Camille". 

11 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

On the one hand I get some optimism that maybe this thing won't strengthen as fast as feared, but on the other hand it could actually be worse if it only strengthens gradually then explodes just before landfall.  I'd like to see it peak early then hit an ERC and weaken just before landfall.

That's my worry. That it dicks around long enough to blow up right before landfall. If it were a Cat 4 now, it'd definitely have time to weaken before landfall. 

48 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Sure are plenty of expensive homes and businesses there.  In terms of loss of life and loss of homes for people who don't own 6 of them I worry about the gulf coast more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And wasn't strengthening right before landfall a theme last year too?

Yep. It's odd watching the "storm cancel" weenies on the weather forums. They expected recon to find a 920 mb storm or something. LOL

I went to bed at 1:30am with absolutely no expectation to wake up to anything more than a Cat 1. I'm surprised so many on these weather forums anticipated more. Ida really shouldn't take off until tonight and Sunday. Now if it's still a Cat 1 in 24 hours, then that might mean a weaker storm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

Yep. It's odd watching the "storm cancel" weenies on the weather forums. They expected recon to find a 920 mb storm or something. LOL

I went to bed at 1:30am with absolutely no expectation to wake up to anything more than a Cat 1. I'm surprised so many on these weather forums anticipated more. Ida really shouldn't take off until tonight and Sunday. Now if it's still a Cat 1 in 24 hours, then that might mean a weaker storm.

Wasent it last year everyone was calling for a Sub900 storm only have the first drop record 928? Eta, Iota one of those.