• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Windspeed

2 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Absolutely.  I posted in response to another outlandish post.  Mistakenly, I believed I was in the "banter," section.  I took the time to explain perspective from a former COE employee.  I wholeheartedly believed that would benefit others.  Crazy I am I guess.  Learn something new even in old age. 

What did you do for the COE and how does that make you a climatologist, political scientist, or economist…all of which you touched on in that rant that went on forever…

you’re wielding your professionalism as some sort of badge of authority but you also sound nutter butter.

Just now, Tezeta said:

What did you do for the COE and how does that make you a climatologist, political scientist, or economist…all of which you touched on in that rant that went on forever…

you’re wielding your professionalism as some sort of badge of authority but you also sound nutter butter.

You seem like a bitter individual. I never claimed to be any of what you suggested. I offered my opinion.  Sorry to offend you or inconvenience your weather forum experience. I wont post anymore. 

1 minute ago, dseagull said:

Absolutely.  I posted in response to another outlandish post.  Mistakenly, I believed I was in the "banter," section.  I took the time to explain perspective from a former COE employee.  I wholeheartedly believed that would benefit others.  Crazy I am I guess.  Learn something new even in old age. 

So quit crying about censorship when you admit you posted it in the wrong thread and that is why it was deleted. I think only one person said you should be censored in this thread. Being a "human induced" climate change denier is just not going to go over well with most-it is what it is.

Why not go post your storm landfall prediction in that thread or post some not-so-politicized posts here? You are the one who just had to have that *politicized self-admitted "rant" so maybe don't get so bent out of shape about the(very predictable)responses. 

34 minutes ago, dseagull said:

the political left (climate alarmists,) to further push massive spending to "avert" our "climate crisis" and perpetuate our country's downward fiscal spiral.  

* on topic banter:  This thing will be a cat 3 by noon tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, dseagull said:

You seem like a bitter individual. I never claimed to be any of what you suggested. I offered my opinion.  Sorry to offend you or inconvenience your weather forum experience. I wont post anymore. 

Is that it? You could at least flounce of the board with a flourish and a F*** YOU ALL! post or maybe make a lengthy "Goodbye Cruel Board" post. We deserve better than this. 

*If the levees fail it is gonna be partly YOUR FAULT!!-you admitted it! You admitted you were part of the whole sh**ty job of it!   j/k of course...kinda.

19 minutes ago, dseagull said:

The responses to my opinion speak volumes.  It was an OPINION.  If you wish to censor opinions, feel free to do so, but at least acknowledge that debate leads to progress.  Would it be fair to assume that you are progressive?  If you censor and ignore opposing viewpoints, how will you ever attain progress?   It is quite disturbing that you feel I am to be labeled a climate change denier.  I never denied climate change.  I simply deny that humans have any "real" effects on such.  I'll leave you guys to it.  Sorry for offering a professional perspective. 

I’ll let this post remain but it is the last one. This is a storm banter thread. This post has nothing to do with the storm and everything to do with politics.  I would hate to have to suspend anyone during this event.  For the record, any suspensions I do have to issue will end when Ida is declared a remnant low.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Ground attacks don’t work on Flying. ;)

(I had to respond; I’ve had Raboot in my avatar for over a year) :lol:

And of course water beats Ground...so it didn't have a chance against the Flying/Water type that is Ida! Only the higher mountains, a Rock type, could've dented it! :lol: (this weather lecture brought to you by chief meteorologist Castform)

P.S. Being unfamiliar with the generations after Black/White...I didn't even know what your avatar was, lol So...Raboot? Haha

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

*If the levees fail it is gonna be partly YOUR FAULT!!-you admitted it! You admitted you were part of the whole sh**ty job of it!   j/k of course...kinda.

I thought it would be someone elses fault? isn't that how it ends? Asking for a friend.. ;)   Wishcasting a Cat 5 on Top on #NOLA,, complete Leeve Failures,,  I jest.. 

It was fuzzy before yesterday, but New Orleans as a danger zone was known by yesterday afternoon, how long does it take to contra-flow I-10 and I-55?  The reason they are not ordering mandatory evacuations of New Orleans.

Maybe they get lucky and it misses wide right or wide left, or splits the uprights and the levees hold, but even if they don't flood, but I'm seeing 70 knot plus 850 mb winds, which I assume is a safe guesstimate for wind gusts, or, even if the don't flood, anyone whose power isn't from underground cables will have no utilities for a week or more.

• Like 1

How many days of fuel do hospital emergency generators have is another question.  Pretty sure there are still COVID patients on ventilators.

I caught the Rona in December, and have apparently permanent hearing damage, constant tinnitus, and occasional bouts of vertigo.  I was sick at home during the cool season for almost 3 weeks, trying to imagine that in early September heat w/o AC.  That would have been ugly, and I was never on a vent.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder if Ida will be able to maintain a "perfect" eye while in the Gulf. It should, conditions seem right. Yet so many Gulf storms I remember in the past few years have had trouble.

If Ida's eye has problems, it would obviously affect peak winds. But what about the rest of the storm? Such as size, surge, and rain?

Just wondering...

Usually as a storm approaches landfall we start to see posts that link to chasers on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc. It would be GREAT to see a collection of chasers that we can follow. I know some people have their favorites that others are not aware of. But please share so we can all enjoy.

Or is there a site that has a list like that? I see this:

https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/

8 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

For the love of god is it east or west? Can we stop over analyzing every wobble.

Also the hurricane is an it….not a he or she.

The same could be said about boats, cars and other inanimate objects.  But in that case it's ALWAYS a SHE.  And too, SHE canes statistically produce the most damage! ;)

Also it seems that these (storms) (nearly) ALWAYS make landfall when it's dark!

50 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

For the love of god is it east or west? Can we stop over analyzing every wobble.

Also the hurricane is an it….not a he or she.

No sorry, the National Hurricane Center names hurricanes with definitive male or female name. Male named hurricanes are "he" and female named hurricanes are "she". Ida is a she.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

How many days of fuel do hospital emergency generators have is another question.  Pretty sure there are still COVID patients on ventilators.

I caught the Rona in December, and have apparently permanent hearing damage, constant tinnitus, and occasional bouts of vertigo.  I was sick at home during the cool season for almost 3 weeks, trying to imagine that in early September heat w/o AC.  That would have been ugly, and I was never on a vent.

Hospital refueling contracts are redundant. There shouldn't be a problem. The big issue is extended loss of clean, potable water. In a situation like that, you get water delivered in intervals of about 8,000 gallons and the delivery process is to last long enough for the hospital to depopulate.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

The same could be said about boats, cars and other inanimate objects.  But in that case it's ALWAYS a SHE.  And too, SHE canes statistically produce the most damage! ;)

Also it seems that these (storms) (nearly) ALWAYS make landfall when it's dark!

In your small world maybe, but I know just as many Hank's as Betty's. In the end, its a pile of parts so it is an it. 

2 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

No sorry, the National Hurricane Center names hurricanes with definitive male or female name. Male named hurricanes are "he" and female named hurricanes are "she". Ida is a she.

Wrong. Ida is an it. 

13 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Wrong. Ida is an it. 

This discussion comes up every year I think, at least since I have been around.

From what I can gather is that there is no "rule", even with the English language. Years ago the media started to move away from "he/she" based on some who, like buckeyefan1, say of a hurricane, "its a pile of parts..." Others will say a hurricane is remembered by it it's name and displays a personality to some. In fact, some will say the Earth itself is not alive, it is just parts. Whereas others say the Earth is a living entity and we are all just parts of it.

I miss speaking of storms by their name suggestions and I cringe even now when I force myself to call Ida an "it". I'm in the smaller school of thought that storms are alive themselves for their brief periods on our living breathing planet.

:)

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

If the NHC didn't want regular folks calling storms "he" or "she" then they probably shouldn't use a list of names that clearly alternates between male and female sounding names. I know its more properly an "It" but I understand why people would call it a "she" or a "he." 

Thank you captain obvious  :P  

• Like 1