• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

To be clear, I am not discounting the need for targeted evacuations, just the timing and location. Evacuations are costly both for the agencies supporting and the residents who relocate. Some businesses will not allow their employees to take unscheduled leave for something that, in their eyes may or may not happen. Thus, some of the most vulnerable people will roll the dice and not evacuate because they simply cannot afford to lose their jobs. 

You criticize evacuations for every storm. Yeah, most of the time they may not be needed, but it isn’t worth the risk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Ah yes, Professor Burns has entered the chat.  Thanks for imparting that wisdom Burnsie!

Regardless of flooding, part of the reason you evacuate (beyond death and destruction) is the lack of ability to provide basic services, food, water, gas, electricity for extended periods of time for large populations.  Nobody needs to drown to have storm related misery, riots, death and destruction.  As someone supplying emergency services equipment and support during my day job, I can tell you the disaster services industry is in a huge pickle right now and is lacking equipment because the gov't just sucked it all up for Afghan camps in the last 96 hours.  I have personally supplied Quantico, Goodfellow AFB, Fort Bliss and Fort Dix this week.  

These folks wont be getting much FEMA help I can assure you of that.

FEMA USAR Task Forces are already being staged and their utility operations support headed down yesterday. FEMA didn't break on their hurricane response coordination during the 2017 and 2018 years...this storm won't break it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

I was just asking questions because I am very worried and concerned.  To ask how prepared you are is not being snippy. To say that people who cannot evacuate are sitting ducks is simply being truthful, it is not saying anything bad.  

There are many millions of people around America tonight wondering about the same things I am and it is because they are your fellow Americans who love you.  If you find that laughable, stupid or annoying, I don't know what to tell you.

22 minutes ago, catdaddyfalcon15 said:

Having lived through it, I 100% agree. its insane how much it is brought up.

Having lived through it as well, it was the worst natural disaster in NYC history. Why would you expect it to not be talked about on a tropical weather forum?

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Having lived through it as well, it was the worst natural disaster in NYC history. Why would you expect it to not be talked about on a tropical weather forum?

It is brought up every tine there is a hurricane, anywhere. For nine years. At this point it has become the weather forum version of waterboarding.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I guess my post was deleted in the IDA thread, and my apologies for responding to a post that was made in that thread, that was banter itself... let me try posting it here... in hope that it wasnt being deleted because I dknt believe in negligible anthropogenic climate change. 

They have a $50B flood wall. New Orleans will not flood. A few roofs may get ripped off. But no surge. And we all know that is what causes loss of life. I apologize if this should be in banter thread. 

You're kidding me right?  I worked for the Army Corps of Engineers for MANY YEARS; If there is one thing I learned during that red-taped beurocractic phase of my life, it's that nothing of use was completed.  

While I may be a disgruntled ex-employee (RETIRED AND HAPPY), I certainly grasped what federal employment has become since WW2, with regards to the corps.  Patching one issue and mitigating one disaster, only to create several more... that was the MO... create job security by F'n up one project after the next.  (From beach replenishment to shoddy dam repairs)   

Just like most federal projects, the NOLA repairs were a cluster F, from start to finish.  I couldn't even document over the required 65% of weekly construction inspections because supervisors for projects were always, "on leave."  This is a joke...

Nobody thought another, "Katrina" would happen during their career,  so they didnt worry about accountability.  This is a disaster in the making, and instead of the Fed owning up to it, they will fall back on their "fail-safe," CLIMATE CHANGE.

Intense storms have always existed, and periodic climate changes have always lead to more active tropical seasons during such.  The only absolute, is that more humans inhabit the earth, particularly along coastal regions,  near coastal cities, near major ports (shipping ports.)  This particular city happens to be below sea level. (Not great odds for disaster mitigation) 

Ignoring obvious political chaos from this "imminent," disaster, is shear ignorance.  This will lead the political left (climate alarmists,) to further push massive spending to "avert" our "climate crisis" and perpetuate our country's downward fiscal spiral.  

CONCLUSION

Storms happen, they always have, they always will.  There are more people, especially on coastlines.  More people will be affected and more people will die.  Regulating carbon output from the US will not make a difference.  (Regulating worldwide carbon output would have a negligible effect on climate change. )   Our existence on this planet is a mere blip in "time."  We will die long before the planet "dies."  The only thing that will kill the human race is F'ed up legislation that makes us suffer, so that those in power can prosper and be "In control. "  

Got it?  Most weather enthusiasts can understand this...  its gonna be a bad storm, dont let the politicians steal the limelight, like they always do... have fun chasing.  RANT OVER. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

24 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Ok, so my post responding to the crazy person ranting about climate change and the left was deleted, but that stays up. Nice storm mode. 

Define "crazy."  I thought I expressed my opinion in a rather eloquent fashion.  So sorry to offend you. 

4 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Define "crazy."  I thought I expressed my opinion in a rather eloquent fashion.  So sorry to offend you. 

Crazy people can be eloquent as hell-what can then matter is what they are saying-not necessarily how they are saying it. Crazy can be in how the person is expressing themselves, in what they are saying, or both. In your case with your "eloquent" climate change denial it seems to be he is probably referencing the second option.

* on banter topic:  this storm is gonna be bad.

• Like 1

The responses to my opinion speak volumes.  It was an OPINION.  If you wish to censor opinions, feel free to do so, but at least acknowledge that debate leads to progress.  Would it be fair to assume that you are progressive?  If you censor and ignore opposing viewpoints, how will you ever attain progress?   It is quite disturbing that you feel I am to be labeled a climate change denier.  I never denied climate change.  I simply deny that humans have any "real" effects on such.  I'll leave you guys to it.  Sorry for offering a professional perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, dseagull said:

The responses to my opinion speak volumes.  It was an OPINION.  If you wish to censor opinions, feel free to do so, but at least acknowledge that debate leads to progress.  Would it be fair to assume that you are progressive?  If you censor and ignore opposing viewpoints, how will you ever attain progress?   It is quite disturbing that you feel I am to be labeled a climate change denier.  I never denied climate change.  I simply deny that humans have any "real" effects on such.  I'll leave you guys to it.  Sorry for offering a professional perspective. 

It had no business in the main thread.

'Opinion' away in this thread.

• Like 2

Absolutely.  I posted in response to another outlandish post.  Mistakenly, I believed I was in the "banter," section.  I took the time to explain perspective from a former COE employee.  I wholeheartedly believed that would benefit others.  Crazy I am I guess.  Learn something new even in old age.