• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Windspeed

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Can we make it an automatic ban if someone posts about birds in the eye or starts whining about a “halfacane” looking at the radar?

Also can we ban the dude who comes on preemptively after every major storm and claims it was a cat 1 at best?

Suggestion noted  :lol:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Can we make it an automatic ban if someone posts about birds in the eye or starts whining about a “halfacane” looking at the radar?

Also can we ban the dude who comes on preemptively after every major storm and claims it was a cat 1 at best?

Bustocane!

32 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

"Nothingburger" should also be included in the automatic ban category.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Hurricane track accuracy has improved a ton since 2005. It might not seem like it but it's gotten much more accurate in the past 16 years. Especially for a storm 3 days out I think we have a good idea where it's heading.

6 hours ago, WhiteoutWX said:

I don’t remember how models did with Rita but they’ve been tightly clustered on a landfall location with this one the last day or so. I think track confidence is fairly high at this point. Margin for error is still probably big enough for New Orleans to miss out on the worst of it, but still seems prudent in this case to give people more time to evacuate than wait for a last second scramble when it’s too late, especially given the potential for a major upon landfall.

To be clear, I am not discounting the need for targeted evacuations, just the timing and location. Evacuations are costly both for the agencies supporting and the residents who relocate. Some businesses will not allow their employees to take unscheduled leave for something that, in their eyes may or may not happen. Thus, some of the most vulnerable people will roll the dice and not evacuate because they simply cannot afford to lose their jobs. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Witness Protection Program said:

Dumb question amnesty:  When they say "10-15' storm surge forecast" does that include the height of expected wave action?  I always assumed wave heights were in addition to the surge numbers.

No it does not.  Surge is water rise not including wave action 

• Like 1

So how prepared are the people down there in Louisiana to take this hit? My recollection is the levies were rebuilt/modified for a CAT 3 storm and of course this is supposed to be CAT 4.  How much wind, water and surge are they prepared for vs. what is coming?

I was thinking of Katrina and now an Afghanistan comparison comes mind and that isn't crazy either, God help us.  Are we going to see a Hurricane Ida version of Afghanistan's instant collapse down there?

I can't believe they are almost all going to be sitting ducks.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

So how prepared are the people down there in Louisiana to take this hit? My recollection is the levies were rebuilt/modified for a CAT 3 storm and of course this is supposed to be CAT 4.  How much wind, water and surge are they prepared for vs. what is coming?

I was thinking of Katrina and now an Afghanistan comparison comes mind and that isn't crazy either, God help us.  Are we going to see a Hurricane Ida version of Afghanistan's instant collapse down there?

I can't believe they are almost all going to be sitting ducks.

• Haha 2