Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

On 9/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, Intensewind002 said:

Grand isle only got brushed by the inner eyewall too which is kinda crazy

The most unfortunate part of Ida’s track is that it drove the highest storm surge into Grand Isle.  It’s also important to note that the aborted ERC that made Ida a double-eyewall hurricane likely contributed to the devastation left in its wake. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Not even close

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Sandy impacts were mainly from coastal flooding with moderate wind impacts throughout the rest of the region. Inland area impacts were limited to widespread power outages from falling tree limbs and transformer blowouts. The bulk of the costly impacts were from the surge flooding along the coasts, flooding all the tunnels, basements, utility rooms, etc. in the coastal areas.

In contrast, last night's flooding looked to include all the coastal areas that Sandy flooded, IN ADDITION to incredible widespread inland flooding throughout the rest of the highly densely populated metropolitan region. Flooding insurance claims are FAR more expensive than moderate wind damage and there are going to be a ton of inland houses and office buildings waking up to feet of water in their basements this morning. Once people start assessing the damage today, this is gonna turn ugly and astronomically expensive. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Sandy impacts were mainly from coastal flooding with moderate wind impacts throughout the rest of the region. Inland area impacts were limited to widespread power outages from falling tree limbs and transformer blowouts. The bulk of the costly impacts were from the surge flooding along the coasts, flooding all the tunnels, basements, utility rooms, etc. in the coastal areas.

In contrast, last night's flooding looked to include all the coastal areas that Sandy flooded, IN ADDITION to incredible widespread inland flooding throughout the rest of the highly densely populated metropolitan region. Flooding insurance claims are FAR more expensive than moderate wind damage and there are going to be a ton of inland houses and office buildings waking up to feet of water in their basements this morning. Once people start assessing the damage today, this is gonna turn ugly and astronomically expensive. 

I take back my post

This is worse than Sandy as a whole . 

11 hours ago, cptcatz said:

Seeing the catastrophic flooding happening in New Jersey, NYC, and now moving into Long Island, I wouldn't be surprised if the flooding costs in the northeast exceed the wind/surge costs in Louisiana. Reminds me a lot of Floyd.

Easy rusty. The wind/storm surge damage is incredible down there, which will require massive infrastructure costs to rebuild. Also oceanfront property is not the cheapest

• Confused 1

Total costs of this storm are going to be absurd. It’s kind of that hurricane that had it all: catastrophic wind and surge at landfall, damaging winds in a major metropolitan area, and now widespread historic flooding in the most densely populated part of the country. Also, a fairly significant tornado outbreak from Virginia to the northeast 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I take back my post

This is worse than Sandy as a whole . 

You were right the first time. I do not have the time currently to list the all the reasons why. A quick answer would be to compare the damage costs from Floyd to those from Sandy. Floyd caused similar fresh water flooding to Ida. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

You were right the first time. I do not have the time currently to list the all the reasons why. A quick answer would be to compare the damage costs from Floyd to those from Sandy. Floyd caused similar fresh water flooding to Ida. 

Floyd caused river/stream flooding but I don't believe it caused the kind of urban flash flooding in upland areas like that occurred last night. I lived in Essex County during Floyd in a relatively low lying house with a basement. We didn't get any water intrusion during Floyd. I still have a lot of friends in NJ and they all had flooding around their houses last night like never before. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but we'll see when the numbers start coming out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cptcatz said:

Seeing the catastrophic flooding happening in New Jersey, NYC, and now moving into Long Island, I wouldn't be surprised if the flooding costs in the northeast exceed the wind/surge costs in Louisiana. Reminds me a lot of Floyd.

Don’t forget about Pennsylvania

8 hours ago, bigtenfan said:

Vine Street  A major east west road through the center of phila 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTUsaQwL98Q/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=7419923e-5480-4246-b83e-6d4601465b35

The Vine Street Expressway photos and videos are the most amazing to me. That water has to be at least 12-14' deep in some areas.

The pictures and videos of the Schulykill River from NW of Philly through downtown are just insane. I lived there for a couple of years in the 90's and I could never even imagine that type of flooding that they saw. It is also much more built up along there than it was 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, drexelkathy said:

The tornado that spun out of the remnants of Ida decimated the neighborhoods around us.  One that was either an F3 or an F4 missed our house by less than 1/2 a mile and just shredded through Mullica Hill.  Including the largest dairy farm in NJ.

BB5731D8-63FF-4A52-A06C-B63775AF2F08.jpeg

B0480594-8671-448A-8E79-C751B546EDFD.jpeg

That is some crazy stuff...but I'm glad your house was spared though! Mercy...

So it looks like nearly 60 directly related storm fatalities. Who would have thought that about 75% of those would happen in the Northeast? I think this storm has already topped 50 billion in damage as well.

Maybe the extreme flooding caught so many people off guard because there had just been an extreme flooding event two weeks ago, with "records" being broken and all, and the flash flooding was bad but you did not have the fatalities? It would be understandable for people to think that it would not be as bad as what had just happened, and that even if it came close, again there would be damage but nothing like what actually happened? Nobody thought that the new 1 hour rainfall record in Central Park would be shattered by another storm just two weeks later-nobody was thinking that could happen.

Just really bad timing- a horrible flooding tropical system, and then just a couple weeks later, and even worse system. 

So it looks like nearly 60 directly related storm fatalities. Who would have thought that about 75% of those would happen in the Northeast? I think this storm has already topped 50 billion in damage as well.

Maybe the extreme flooding caught so many people off guard because there had just been an extreme flooding event two weeks ago, with "records" being broken and all, and the flash flooding was bad but you did not have the fatalities? It would be understandable for people to think that it would not be as bad as what had just happened, and that even if it came close, again there would be damage but nothing like what actually happened? Nobody thought that the new 1 hour rainfall record in Central Park would be shattered by another storm just two weeks later-nobody was thinking that could happen.

Just really bad timing- a horrible flooding tropical system, and then just a couple weeks later, and even worse system. 
Ida, though not as intense a hurricane, reminded me a lot of Camille in both track and extreme inland flooding far away from landfall. Sometimes these TC setups over the ECONUS can lead to much greater loss of life than the initial impact at landfall.
  • Like 3