• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

Over 1,000,000 power outages in Louisiana now, and outages starting to climb (40,000+) in MS as well. 

KMSY is reporting again after a 2+ hour hiatus. Wind gusts to "only" 55 mph (after several hours of hurricane-force gusts) on the 11:15 PM ob. Hopefully that trend continues, since the wind needs to abate help the ongoing rescue efforts.  

The original eye is nearly gone on radar. Looks like Ida's time as a hurricane is finally about done. 

12 minutes ago, Doc Jon said:

Oakville floodgate in Alliance has failed, floodwaters heading North on Hwy. 23.  Plaquemines Parish Government website.

Phillips refinery in Alliance.  That's a place I wouldn't want to be for a major hurricane.. there and SE into Plaquimines Parish...ugh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

Wonder how bad this is going to affect the oil refineries down there? ConocoPhillips has a big one in Alliance that is now underwater. I live in Upstate SC and most of our gas comes from the Colonial Pipeline. Yikes.

Not a good time to worry about your gas man, Theres people in life or death situations at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

Wonder how bad this is going to affect the oil refineries down there? I live in Upstate SC and most of our gas comes from the Colonial Pipeline. Yeesh. 

Fuel  up tomorrow.  After Katrina, prices rose from about $2.30-2.50 to about $3.25 locally. We are already there.  It wasn't until the financial crisis in 2008 that prices cratered.  That's almost 5 years.  I expect $4.00 gas on avg soon.  Especially with today's stimmy check fueled inflationary spiral. Petrol up to $4.25-4.50 wouldn't surprise me in a month.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 6

20 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

Wonder how bad this is going to affect the oil refineries down there? ConocoPhillips has a big one in Alliance that is now underwater. I live in Upstate SC and most of our gas comes from the Colonial Pipeline. Yikes.

yeesh, good point.  Gas already costs a fortune and it's not like refineries grow on trees.

I can’t Believe he Quit this thread is right now.  This is THE Most Covered thread on the Internet during these times.  It’s been incredible the past 24 hours, with Major Congratulations to everyone here, because the news that is spread here can Absolutely Save Lives.  

But it’s Quiet all of a sudden.  No Important posts in 33 minutes.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jojo762 said:

This has to be a record for strongest sustained, and gusting winds RECORDED in a hurricane... right?

Could well be, few anemometers last past 100-120mph.

However, keep in mind that the standard anemometer height is 10 meters off the ground surface and with no obstructions within a prescribed distance.

Depending on the size of that ship their anemometer may be located 40-50+ meters high, where the winds are generally stronger [just look at the hurricane hunter data, like a dropsonde, the measurements vary by height]. So these measurements may have some bias to compensate for.

If we had this ship's identification information we could look up it's specs.

The vessel that recorded those record high wind speeds is the Seacor Eagle, a small platform ship, 42x28m. So it's anemometer looks to be maybe 15-20m above sea level, good enough.

Edit: The "Young Wind Tracker" instrument pictured earlier is first class equipment.

Marine Traffic link/info:

SEACOR EAGLE

Latest Position

Position Received: 2021-08-29 04:50 UTC

Vessel is Out-of-Range

Area: USG - Gulf of Mexico

Current Port: FOURCHON

Latitude / Longitude: 29.13876° / -90.19744°

SEACOR EAGLE

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So no one cares about this storm anymore?

This thread went off the rails a while ago. 90% of the posts over the past 24 hours should be in the banter thread.

The storm still looks remarkably well for having been onshore for as long as it has. Looks like there will be extensive inland flooding threats though the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1