Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

Just now, jojo762 said:

This has to be a record for strongest sustained, and gusting winds RECORDED in a hurricane... right?

There was an Aussie cyclone where the WMO verified like 250mph gusts…total freak show. Gustav had a big one too. 

I wonder what the elevation of these winds were…that could make apples to apples comparisons hard. On a ship it could be dozens of meters ASL. 

4 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Another perspective is that they are amateur disaster vigilantes who are putting themselves in harms way by LARPing as first responders. Even if some of them are organized the popularization of them is going to encourage their version of Midwestern storm chaser to go try rescuing someone…

Whatever.   As  far as I can see, they're trying to do good for their community. Virtue signaling achieves nothing, in the real world. 

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Another perspective is that they are amateur disaster vigilantes who are putting themselves in harms way by LARPing as first responders. Even if some of them are organized the popularization of them is going to encourage their version of Midwestern storm chaser to go try rescuing someone…

Horribly cynical perspective.  Volunteers who put themselves at risk to save others is common outside of big cities. Depending on only Govt in a disaster......

Laplace wind shift will force Lake P back out but may be bad news for N Shore communities. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, GrindOutWins said:

I was asking about a top 5 US earlier. Is this #2/3 in modern US history? Behind Andrew/Katrina? 

Katrina, Harvey, Maria, that storm that shall not be named in the Mid-Atlantic/NE area, and Irma if you are talking about $$$ damages are the top five I think.  This would need to be over 50 billion.

2 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Slidell PD spokesman on WWL saying that this is far worse than anyone anticipated. And the live shot is showing some pretty bad conditions.

Intense feeder bands have been training over that general area for hours, and will probably continue doing so for a while. Sames goes for areas getting the eastern eyewall (like Hammond), the flash flooding will ultimately turn into significant river flooding for some areas.

Screenshot_20210829-233727.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

Katrina, Harvey, Maria, that storm that shall not be named in the Mid-Atlantic/NE area, and Irma if you are talking about $$$ damages are the top five I think.  This would need to be over 50 billion.

He's probably going by by normalized damage, which puts Katrina, Andrew, and Maria at 1, 2 , 3

• Thanks 1