Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

11 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

That is potentially extremely bad. 

I think that is where the memorable footage of a driver driving into the water and a reporter rushing in to help him was, near the I-10/610 split.  I've been to New Orleans and Venice enough to know that area.  That video was on TV before people outside NOLA knew about the flooding in the city.  I don't know if that is rainwater flooding alone, or there has been a flood control/levee breach.  But that area was where the first indication New Orleans wasn't fine, as reported by reporters staying in the French Quarter.

6 minutes ago, mempho said:

This is inside the Storm Damage Reduction System for New Orleans. I mean, could easily be extreme flash flooding...
I hope so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't believe it is. It is not according to the maps of that system I am pulling up. It iappears it is west of where that system ends.

• Like 1

It could be rain, but the second floor window flooding rescues in Houston/Harvey didn't start the first day with the first foot of rain.  Not claiming to be any kind of expert in rainfall runoff, but roof top rescues from a foot of rain, that doesn't seem likely in fairly flat terrain.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Doc Jon said:

2900 block of Donner drive in New Orleans flooded, water rising.

Looks like there is some sort of small stream that runs parallel to Donner Dr in NOLA. It looks tiny, so the fact that they're reporting flooding from it is pretty astonishing. 

2 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

It could be rain, but the second floor window flooding rescues in Houston/Harvey didn't start the first day with the first foot of rain.  Not claiming to be any kind of expert in rainfall runoff, but roof top rescues from a foot of rain, that doesn't seem likely in fairly flat terrain.

2 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Roof top rescues are happing in Laplace, not NOLA. Laplace is getting hammered by both surge and rain-induced flash flooding.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, drstuess said:

Blackstart is also a pain in the ass. Not sure what generation is local or on this side of the transmissions outages, but could be a while till back up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Entergy said they had a load imbalance after the transmission lines tripped/failed. Too much load, not enough supply.  Probably had to load shed and lost the local generators eventually.  Will be an interesting recap.

• Like 1