Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

24 minutes ago, Grep1 said:

Water isn’t a concern, we’ve been installing high voltage in water with little to no issue. Problem is cost. And I’m not here saying every residential house should have underground utilities, but for main feeds? Heck we got a main feed sitting in the river right now.   

We take the cheap ugly and inefficient way out. When folks visit me from the EU they are always amazed at our lame duck solution, noting how ugly it is. It's not just NO and low lying areas, of course.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NaoPos said:

given the limited info, I looked up transmission towers near the eastern Jefferson parish bank and downtown, and found this area. I’m guessing one of these big boys came down In this area. 

WWL-TV(CBS) has confirmed it was a transmission tower that went down and damage to the remaining transmission lines that feed Orleans Parish.  WWL was also knocked off the air briefly. 

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We take the cheap ugly and inefficient way out. When folks visit me from the EU they are always amazed at our lame duck solution, noting how ugly it is. It's not just NO and low lying areas, of course.

Really? Underground is on average 10 times more expensive than overhead lines. Europe as a continent is barely larger than the entirety of the US. I'd like to see them run underground lines hundreds of miles for no reason whatsoever. We could increase the amount of underground lines but then we'd dramatically increase the cost of electricity and underground lines are much more difficult to fix if something goes wrong. Source: I work for a utility. 

As a side note, NO is in trouble for a few days, if not weeks, if all 8 transmission lines into town are out of service. That would explain why they had a "catastrophic" failure to cause 100% power loss. The tower that fell into the Mississippi can have the line be temporarily rerouted in a matter of days if the area isn't under water. 

Edit: edited two inaccurate statements 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I work in transmission.  There's no shortage of transmission towers in Europe.  ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How states, counties, townships etc along the coast,  allow surface transmission lines is beyond me. Makes absolutely no sense. Let’s put a tree in the ground and attach 480 to it. Hopefully since we call it a pole it will survive 150 mph winds… insanity
480? Distribution is usually 12.47, 25, etc kV, so MV; 480 is LV. Transmisison usually much higher, > 100 kV. Either way, reality, is underground and ring/euro RMU style distribution is much more reliable, but brownfield is 7 figures per mile. Either way, if your transmission towers fall into the Mississippi not much you can do. Microgrids could get power to back to some sooner, but tough and general favor the ones with the means.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kristospherein said:

Really? Underground is on average 10 times more expensive than overhead lines. Europe as a continent is barely larger than the entirety of the US. I'd like to see them run underground lines hundreds of miles for no reason whatsoever. We could increase the amount of underground lines but then we'd dramatically increase the cost of electricity and underground lines are much more difficult to fix if something goes wrong. Source: I work for a utility. 

As a side note, NO is in trouble for a few days, if not weeks, if all 8 transmission lines into town are out of service. That would explain why they had a "catastrophic" failure to cause 100% power loss. The tower that fell into the Mississippi can have the line be temporarily rerouted in a matter of days if the area isn't under water. 

Europe has overhead transmission lines in rural areas and over long distances. They don't have overhead local distribution in denser areas. 

America does, and america is less dense, but more of that has to do with the us allowing rampant, ugly sprawl to occur anywhere, and it's invention of the disaster that is the modern car dependent suburb.

If everywhere else that is developed can afford to bury power, so can the usa, but if it's a major transmission line here, that's not the issue. The larger issue is needing the line in the first place to service thousands living in an area that will constantly, and increasingly meet with disaster.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 2

Just now, mempho said:

This is inside the Storm Damage Reduction System for New Orleans. I mean, could easily be extreme flash flooding...
I hope so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I mean, extreme flash flooding pushing people all the way to the attic? 

Either way, regardless of how it is happening that is incredibly bad news.

I mean, extreme flash flooding pushing people all the way to the attic? 

Either way, regardless of how it is happening that is incredibly bad news.
I'm saying that because my understanding is that there is no risk of storm surge inside the system.... That's what they were telling everyone, at least.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk