Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

38 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Maybe.  I just look at the radar and the reduction in stronger returns coming in from south of NO.

One of the New Orleans local stations said earlier that hurricane/tropical storm radar returns aren't always accurate in terms of intensity, i.e. it can be heavier than it looks on radar.

• Sad 1

You have to just hope that the combination of surge and fresh water flooding doesn’t overwhelm the levees. I will never forget looking at CNN the day after Katrina in my college’s computer lab in the student union the morning after. I had thought that New Orleans had dodged a bullet, but when I pulled up CNN and saw an aerial shot that showed essentially the whole city flooded.

I don’t want to see that again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I’m not sure how reliable the don’t enter the attic source is. Sounds like some hyperbolic language considering what we’re heard from NO proper so far.

Not hyperbolic at all. A lot of people died in Katrina in attics when they couldn’t breakout to the roof. 

• Like 1

This might be a little disruptive to more important things happening... But what a damn child. He begs for help, as if he's in imminent danger... Now he's responding to backlash on twitter for putting himself in a piss poor position? Some emergency, huh? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, jacindc said:

given the limited info, I looked up transmission towers near the eastern Jefferson parish bank and downtown, and found this area. I’m guessing one of these big boys came down In this area. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cptcatz said:

If whoever manages the pumps didn't say a couple days ago "of there's a hurricane coming, maybe we should test the generators to make sure properly", then they should be fired.

Emergency generators for this kind of infrastructure are tested biweekly, and once monthly under load. 

• Like 1

This might be a little disruptive to more important things happening... But what a damn child. He begs for help, as if he's in imminent danger... Now he's responding to backlash on twitter for putting himself in a piss poor position? Some emergency, huh? 

There's many words for that idiot I can't use here, he does this all the time too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Doc Jon said:

question - are those levees earthen levees that erode when overtopped or full-on concrete flood walls anchored in Casons driven into the bedrock?

Anyone know?

Withing NOLA, its steel and concrete with buttressing. I do not know of any pure earthen levees in NOLA. Earthen levees in that part of the country typically have, at the least, a concrete or packed clay core with grouting to prevent piping and internal failure from water pressure.

• Thanks 1