Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

2 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR SOUTH SHORE AREA OF METRO NEW ORLEANS...

...FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CDT TONIGHT 
FOR NORTHWESTERN JEFFERSON, SOUTHWESTERN ORLEANS, NORTHWESTERN 
PLAQUEMINES, WEST CENTRAL ST. BERNARD, NORTHWESTERN ST. CHARLES AND 
WEST CENTRAL ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISHES...

At 808 PM CDT, the public reported flash flooding across the warned 
area. Between 4 and 7 inches of rain have fallen. Additional 
rainfall amounts of 3 to 6 inches are possible in the warned area. 
Flash flooding is already occurring.

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for South shore area of metro New 
Orleans. This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER 
GROUND NOW!

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding. Heavy rain producing
         flash flooding.

SOURCE...Public reported.

IMPACT...This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER

12 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

The heaviest rain is over as well.  Will they have several hours of additional heavy rainfall?  Sure.  But the NE quadrant of the eyewall has pushed north of the city. 

per the NWS they have had 4-7 inches and could get 3-6 more and there is a flash flood emergency.  Looks like maybe half over?

3 minutes ago, Doc Jon said:

sorry, just wondering if a levee broke.

No a levee did not fail... But there is insane rainfall rates across much of the FFE area, with plenty of rain already having fell... In addition Laplace has been getting hammered by surge (see earlier videos posted). Not sure if someone posted it or not, but also saw a video on twitter of flooding in the Lakeview community in NOLA.

6 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

It’s a “catastrophic” transmission issue so I’d say perhaps major damage to main substation and/or massive downing of high tension transmission lines.

In a case like this there are probably so many distribution lines down and short circuits that might as well turn the thing off.  If the Transmission system goes down that just makes restoration a whole lot longer. 

1 minute ago, Will - Rutgers said:

it's just crazy how many of the big storms over the last decade or so 1) have RI'd right up to landfall and 2) have basically stopped moving shortly after landfall

More resilient high pressure systems? It might be similar to why there’s been more numerous heat domes in the past decade as well. 

1 minute ago, hazwoper said:

Maybe.  I just look at the radar and the reduction in stronger returns coming in from south of NO.

There is multiple strong feeder bands training over the FFE area... and with the system moving *slowly* north, that is not going to be changing anytime soon.

• Like 1

Just now, WaPo said:

More resilient high pressure systems? It might be similar to why there’s been more numerous heat domes in the past decade as well. 

my meteorology degree came from a box of Lucky Charms i bought in 2013 but i'd like to venture a guess, weaker jet streams, and a more zonal flow regime.

to wit:

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/wind/jet-stream

and if you look at the national forecast map there's no features to help pick this up, like a passing trough, and i guess that big high over Georgia is also helping hold this back

https://www.weather.gov/forecastmaps

it's fun trying to figure these things out but i know like 1% of what the board mets do...

How states, counties, townships etc along the coast,  allow surface transmission lines is beyond me. Makes absolutely no sense. Let’s put a tree in the ground and attach 480 to it. Hopefully since we call it a pole it will survive 150 mph winds… insanity

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grep1 said:

How states, counties, townships etc along the coast,  allow surface transmission lines is beyond me. Makes absolutely no sense. Let’s put a tree in the ground and attach 480 to it. Hopefully since we call it a pole it will survive 150 mph winds… insanity

When a city is already below sea level, you can't exactly dig down a whole lot.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1