Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

4 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

They do I’ve been reading up on them, but no guarantee they work properly.

If whoever manages the pumps didn't say a couple days ago "of there's a hurricane coming, maybe we should test the generators to make sure properly", then they should be fired.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

We don't know exact status . All they stated was that they lost their power supply off the transmission system. I'm guessing that they have substations fed from the High Voltage 115 kv or higher Transmission system.  Distribution system at lower voltages probably lost also if the HV and EHV are tripped.  It did imply they have a backup source working.  How many generators and how much of their pump system that can be supplied...and for how long...no idea. 

Let’s hope the hospital has ample fuel and working generators.  Many folks there rely on oxygen generators working to live.  

5 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

If whoever manages the pumps didn't say a couple days ago "of there's a hurricane coming, maybe we should test the generators to make sure properly", then they should be fired.

They assuredly have a test program.  The interesting thing is what their fuel supply status is.  This is a real concern for nuclear plants...and facilities like this.  In these cases, you will be relying 100% on on-site storage as transport of fuel will likely be interuppted for an extended period. Unless they have gas turbine gens connected to the natural gas pipeline system (which is subject to its own failure modes in events like this). 

We are about to find out how prepared they really were.  Would hate to see the levees hold but have a different failure mode cause flooding problems.

• Like 1

From a HAM radio friend of mine just a few moments ago:

N5OEP just checked in, he is with NO Homeland Security Emergency Preparedness with no power in downtown in NO, pumps near capacity but working well. Very heavy winds and torrential rain, guessing wind at 100 mph, had 148 mph earlier before the gage was destroyed

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Let’s hope the hospital has ample fuel and working generators.  Many folks there rely on oxygen generators working to live.  

Mandated 96hr worth of run time fuel for any hospital. I suspect coastal operations would increase. Although I have seen bae minimums done in places where they shouldn’t have. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, exactly this.  It was basically fine until the levee failures.  If the levee didn’t fail in Katrina…Katrina wouldn’t be quite the legend that it is today.  

The levee failure was certainly part of it, but Katrina’s insane storm surge in Mississippi would have still made it a legend regardless. 

• Like 7

The tweet said they lost 12 MW of grid power but have 15 MW of on-site generation (turbine 6), should be nat gas turbine. Based on that wording they should have full capacity, but certainly on more of a knife edge. Could also be a lot more going on as that is Turbine 6?

I am sure they have very regular maintance and test runs, but if gas turbines they are dependant on gas distribution. Gas distribution is generally hardier but can fail with loss of power if compressor stations don't have backup, as we saw in Texas this winter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just now, ldub23 said:

Hard to boil water without  power.

The combination of extended power outages and potentially compromised water supplies could turn into a really big deal, even if New Orleans avoids catastrophic wind damage and flooding. Hopefully the various relief agencies involved are better prepared to deal with the aftermath if Ida than they were for Katrina. 

• Like 2

https://www.nola.com/news/article_b62d2c58-0928-11ec-a42e-9354b46469fc.html

The Kerner Swing Bridge in Lafitte was hit by a barge, Jefferson Parish officials said just before 7:30 p.m. Sunday.

"Any residents that may still be in Lafitte are advised to not attempt to drive on this bridge," the parish said in a news release. "We do not believe it is structurally safe."

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, drstuess said:

The tweet said they lost 12 MW of grid power but have 15 MW of on-site generation (turbine 6), should be nat gas turbine. Based on that wording they should have full capacity, but certainly on more of a knife edge. Could also be a lot more going on as that is Turbine 6?

I am sure they have very regular maintance and test runs, but if gas turbines they are dependant on gas distribution. Gas distribution is generally hardier but can fail with loss of power if compressor stations don't have backup, as we saw in Texas this winter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Exactly.  Good post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

New Orleans Getting hit with ?????  Cause all stations are down.  Power and internet out too.  Guess the Helicopters will see whats left of it tomorrow morning

It’s a “catastrophic” transmission issue so I’d say perhaps major damage to main substation and/or massive downing of high tension transmission lines.