Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

2 minutes ago, Normandy said:

Easily a top five hurricane landfall in the north gulf coast.  Thankfully a far west track and slow movement spared New Orleans the worst but others certainly took it on the chin

It tracked significantly further east than anticipated and New Orleans hasn't even seen the worst of it yet.

• Like 3

They are absolutely out of the woods with respect to severe winds.  Flooding and surge that’s another story but you all already know this so I’m not sure why quoting me and stating New Orleans is not out of the woods yet is necessary 

• Confused 3
  • Weenie 12

5 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Actually I expect, based on eye position and radar, downtown NO has indeed already seen the worst.

In terms of wind, probably.  I would hold my breath on flooding though.  IIRC, the levee failures took some time to unfold with Katrina.  Seemed like the city was going to be basically ok and then...all hell broke loose.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

Yeah, it’s probably seeing the worst right around now for next couple hours.

It goes on for a very long time east of the storm. Really a much longer duration event than you get near the center or west of the center.

New Orleans might not improve much until after midnight.

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

In terms of wind, probably.  I would hold my breath on flooding though.  IIRC, the levee failures took some time to unfold with Katrina.  Seemed like the city was going to be basically ok and then...all hell broke loose.

Yes, exactly this.  It was basically fine until the levee failures.  If the levee didn’t fail in Katrina…Katrina wouldn’t be quite the legend that it is today.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cary said:

New Orleans doesn't consist solely of downtown.

Yeah a majority of the people that are still in danger from wind and the eyewall are poor and impoverished people who were pushed out of the main areas of NO due to Hurricane Katrina. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

That is not good.  No idea what their backup power requirements are to keep the city drained but my understanding is they need some amount of continuous pumping capability even in normal comditions.  If the backup generation fails the pumps don't work.  Same thing that bit Fukushima when the tsunami breeched their floodwalls and took out their backup ac power. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

They do I’ve been reading up on them, but no guarantee they work properly.

We don't know exact status . All they stated was that they lost their power supply off the transmission system. I'm guessing that they have substations fed from the High Voltage 115 kv or higher Transmission system.  Distribution system at lower voltages probably lost also if the HV and EHV are tripped.  It did imply they have a backup source working.  How many generators and how much of their pump system that can be supplied...and for how long...no idea.