Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

39 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Didnt he verbatim say this would be a 150mph ‘cane before landfall? I honestly thought the dude was nuts at the time — in spite of obviously being one of the more veteran/knowledgeable posters on the forum, from my experience. 

I don't know why anyone doubted him. NHC had this getting to 140mph but people just shrugged it off because it wasn't getting strong fast enough for them and came up with all these reasons why it wouldn't get much stronger lol

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I have not been on the internet today.   I just happen to see 2 storm chasers streams and when I happen to look they were not nearly like the Michael videos.  Since I posted that on the thread I went back and looked at some of the twitter videos and yes I absolutely take back what I sad.  Chill out

Ahh just busting ya…it’s all good. 

7 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

How the hell the camera survived to catch that footage is beyond me...

Outdoor IP security cameras are built to survive bad weather if installed and mounted properly. Most are also on battery backup so keep recording for several hours after the power goes out.

I'm sure we'll be seeing some really amazing security camera footage as people get back to their homes and businesses over the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Prospero said:

Outdoor IP security cameras are built to survive bad weather if installed and mounted properly. Most are also on battery backup so keep recording for several hours after the power goes out.

I'm sure we'll be seeing some really amazing security camera footage as people get back to their homes and businesses over the next few days.

The impressive part is that it kept streaming with all the power outages.  Obviously most home cameras are on home internet, not LTE like the surge cam

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The impressive part is that it kept streaming with all the power outages.  Obviously most home cameras are on home internet, not LTE like the surge cam

That is one of the reasons why I sell security systems as a side gig. You cannot count on an internet connection for security cameras, you need a DVR/NVR that records. Most DVRs and NVRs have internet access, but keep recording even without power or internet if on a battery back up system.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Prospero said:

That is one of the reasons why I sell security systems as a side gig. You cannot count on an internet connection for security cameras, you need a DVR/NVR that records. Most DVRs and NVRs have internet access, but keep recording even without power or internet if on a battery back up system.

Sure, but I'm assuming that this video was live streamed (even if also locally recorded) vs being uploaded after the fact.

All my cameras are streamed live but also recorded locally

• Like 1

Yeah....I thought it might get 5 mire knots...and since it's "not technically possible" to report 155, it really was a hairs breath from 160...
Sure it is. They report 135kt/155 MPH easily (was Michael's operational landfall intensity). 55, 95 and 135 MPH are the ones you won't see because there's no conversion from knots that rounds to 5.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Sure it is. They report 135kt/155 MPH easily (was Michael's operational landfall intensity). 55, 95 and 135 MPH are the ones you won't see because there's no conversion from knots that rounds to 5.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yep...you're right...155 is reportable...confused it with 135...God I'm getting old...:blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Normandy said:

Easily a top five hurricane landfall in the north gulf coast.  Thankfully a far west track and slow movement spared New Orleans the worst but others certainly took it on the chin

New Orleans is not out of the woods yet. 

• Like 6