Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

4 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

That was some pretty wild stuff ... a bit reminiscent of some of Josh M.'s legendary footage from Dorian. Not as intense of course, but it's about as hairy as anything I've seen today. 

I have not seen that video.  I probably just missed the real wild videos.  I don't doubt you as the storms presentation is very good.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Well that’s umm… bad with MANY more hours of upstream flow/surge. Does anyone happen to know or have access to data about the levees on each side of the Mississippi? (Eg, how much higher is the levee on the NOLA side vs the eastern side that has been overtopped?)

13 minutes ago, eyewall said:

The eye looks almost better on recent radar frames. It is moving due north for sure with an occasional NNE wobble. Going to be VERY close for NOLA proper. Going to be a rough ride for sure in Kenner.

Yes…it’s perfectly round and symmetrical now, more so than it was at landfall.  Friction with the land tightening things up maybe?  

It continues to go downhill in New Orleans and the pressure gradient is now up to 6 mb over just a 15 mile distance!

5 PM CDT:

N.O. INTL ARPT HVY RAIN 76 75 97 E48G74 29.16F VSB 1/2

N.O. DWNTWN HE HVY RAIN 77 75 93 E23G46 29.27F VSB 3/4

N.O. LAKEFRONT HVY RAIN 77 76 96 E54G78 29.34F VSB 1/2

• Like 5

NOLA aside, there really isn’t a way to implement infrastructure for a track and storm like this in an area broadly at or below sea level. The combination of coastal flooding, river, lake and stream flooding over such a large region for 10+ hours and myriad points of potential failure is just too much to plan for. If there isn’t widespread flooding in Southeast LA all the way up to Lake Maurepas area I’ll be shocked. 

The rainfall amounts are going to be incredible from IDA as well. Widespread 15”+.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I was expecting to see many leveled buildings. Instead I saw 3 roofs blown off, leaning utility poles, and not much else. Maybe it's just solid American construction ha.

Concrete buildings simply won't be leveled in a hurricane. I'm sure there will be many many wood buildings that are being leveled that we'll see in the aftermath. 1) people's whose homes/businesses that are being leveled probably don't care to share videos of it on Twitter, and 2) the chasers are generally smart enough to be in areas of concrete buildings rather than wood buildings. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

NOLA aside, there really isn’t a way to implement infrastructure for a track and storm like this in an area broadly at or below sea level. The combination of coastal flooding, river, lake and stream flooding over such a large region for 10+ hours and myriad points of potential failure is just too much to plan for. If there isn’t widespread flooding in Southeast LA all the way up to Lake Maurepas area I’ll be shocked. 

The rainfall amounts are going to be incredible from IDA as well. Widespread 15”+.

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like this might be a situation where the east side is set up to fail so that the west side can survive. 

44 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

As of 545pm east time I still have not seen any storm chaser video that is showing true high end Cat 3 conditions.  I am just comparing some of the Youtube videos of past major storms.  Maybe no ones position if directly under the worst of the eyewall.  Reed Timmers video in Houma definitely has not shown true near white out conditions as we saw many times with Michael.  Ida's radar and satellite presentation is so impressive so chasers must be just missing the inner eyewall.

How drunk are you ? Because there’s countless videos and actual obs of 140-163 mph gusts 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Just my 2 cents.

This.  Ultimately a city built below sea level and South of a gigantic lake is going to near impossible to mitigate given the aforementioned infrastructure from any storm like this.  That is why a more coherent and effective evacuation plan is critical, and why this was not better executed Is beyond me.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lmao..ya I was shocked when he said that? He’s up there with Phin…thinking nothing bad happens outside of Kansas tornadoes.  

I have not been on the internet today.   I just happen to see 2 storm chasers streams and when I happen to look they were not nearly like the Michael videos.  Since I posted that on the thread I went back and looked at some of the twitter videos and yes I absolutely take back what I sad.  Chill out