Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

38 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Because calling it land in Louisiana can be very generous but the winds are starting to decrease as of the latest advisory.

Winds will decrease some over land just due to friction even if it’s not weakening. I’m sure it is also slowly starting to degrade some. But it takes a lot of energy to maintain a storm at this intensity. I wasn’t expecting rapid weakening for the reasons listed but I’m still surprised it’s been able to maintain this level of organization and intensity for this long. Even given the fact it’s just marsh. 

• Like 4

As of 545pm east time I still have not seen any storm chaser video that is showing true high end Cat 3 conditions.  I am just comparing some of the Youtube videos of past major storms.  Maybe no ones position if directly under the worst of the eyewall.  Reed Timmers video in Houma definitely has not shown true near white out conditions as we saw many times with Michael.  Ida's radar and satellite presentation is so impressive so chasers must be just missing the inner eyewall.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 8

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

As of 545pm east time I still have not seen any storm chaser video that is showing true high end Cat 3 conditions.  I am just comparing some of the Youtube videos of past major storms.  Maybe no ones position if directly under the worst of the eyewall.  Reed Timmers video in Houma definitely has not shown true near white out conditions as we saw many times with Michael.  Ida's radar and satellite presentation is so impressive so chasers must be just missing the inner eyewall.

Worst conditions down by Grand Isle and nearby towns but it’s too low and elevation  for chasers. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

The 2 tweets on the previous page were good enough for me. Truly major hurricane conditions.

Storm chasers for the most part are not going to put themselves in the extreme heart of the danger right on the coast (Grand Isle, Golden Meadows).

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Have you been watching the web cam and chaser vids? They are all showing cat 4 conditions easily. Not sure what you are looking at. Also I’m sure the worst of this wasn’t even caught on video. Storms this bad make it hard to capture. Video cuts out and communication is lost. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

This storm is a game of inches-Morgan City, only about 30 miles west of Houma, is going to come away unscathed. 

They haven’t even gusted to 50.

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned this. There’s a 1018 mb high over Georgia. Quite robust for this time of the year. The synoptic scale players favor a significant gradient wind. The west side is not seeing the synoptic ageostrophic flow associated with the synoptic scale gradient as Ida’s center is between their location and the surface high. The flip side is this is making for significantly more wind on the eastern side AND with a substantial fetch over water, all along the east coast of LA. Coastal flooding well away from the center? You betcha. Look at how much more tightly packed the isobars are on the eastern side vs western side, well away from the center.

A6F2C941-7DEB-47C3-8CBE-408D02B5F49A.gif

• Like 22

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Did you see the video I commented on…that looked absolutely insane. He was videoing from a window between an air conditioner…just amazing.  You’re missing something there in N.H. Pal. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

there aren't many good "options" in the ne part of this storm until it gets north towards NOLA and i suspect that's why.  simply too risky in such sparsely populated and mostly wooden structured areas and wetlands.

For folks wondering how a Hurricane can retain a lot of energy over the Mississippi Delta, here is a shot of what most of it looks like south of Morgan City, Houma and out towards Grand Isle and east. Its mostly water and it isnt any cooler than the GOM is. Will take a while until its over more "dry" land to spin down. A lot of energy to tap there. Not like the Ocean, but far better than dry land.

CoastalimageResized.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Did you see the video I commented on…that looked absolutely insane. He was videoing from a window between an air conditioner…just amazing.  You’re missing something there in N.H. Pal. 

That was some pretty wild stuff ... a bit reminiscent of some of Josh M.'s legendary footage from Dorian. Not as intense of course, but it's about as hairy as anything I've seen today. 

4 minutes ago, DeltaPilot said:

For folks wondering how a Hurricane can retain a lot of energy over the Mississippi Delta, here is a shot of what most of it looks like south of Morgan City, Houma and out towards Grand Isle and east. Its mostly water and it isnt any cooler than the GOM is. Will take a while until its over more "dry" land to spin down. A lot of energy to tap there. Not like the Ocean, but far better than dry land.

CoastalimageResized.png

John Hope would always talk about that on TWC back in the day.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

As of 545pm east time I still have not seen any storm chaser video that is showing true high end Cat 3 conditions....

I was expecting to see many leveled buildings. Instead I saw 3 roofs blown off, leaning utility poles, and not much else. Maybe it's just solid American construction ha.

• Confused 2
  • Weenie 12