Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

20 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

One very notable thing is Ida is still at maximum intensity, with zero signs of weakening, it might even be strengthening still! Check out rapid scan IR https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=meso-meso1-14-96-1-10-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

Here's Google street view from about where the storm is now (between Montegut and Galliano). It's....pretty flat and watery.

screenshot1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

I would frankly be surprised if he's even hit 100. Lots of stuff starts flying once you hit triple digit winds. It's very much "obvious". One easy way to tell--the deciduous trees he's been filming are not toppling over, or even swaying wildly. Those tree types don't handle wind well--palm trees evolved the way they did specifically to handle wind. He's barely seen hurricane strength yet. He will, and he will quickly learn what real strong winds actually look like. 

Those are mostly mesquite and maybe some live oaks, about the toughest trees there are. Check out the ones around Rockport and Lamar, TX. Lots of them are bent and twisted, but healthy.

The good citizens of Rockport made a helluva racket when some developers wanted to cut down some groves of them that had been there forever. The developer mostly lost. Although the HEB grocery did get built, but the parking lot is full of trees. That HEB shows in a lot of Hurricane Harvey pictures. I actually took a nap there as Harvey approached after securing my boat. Then I got out just before it hit, under similar, but lesser, conditions as Jokko.

• Thanks 1

Current conditions at

Galliano, South Lafourche Airport (KGAO)

Lat: 29.44°NLon: 90.26°WElev: 0ft.
ra.png

Rain and Windy

78°F

26°C

Humidity 93%
Wind Speed E 63 G 92 mph
Barometer 28.49 in
Dewpoint 76°F (24°C)
Visibility 0.75 mi
Heat Index 81°F (27°C)
Last update 29 Aug 1:35 pm CDT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, STxVortex said:
Current conditions at

Galliano, South Lafourche Airport (KGAO)

Lat: 29.44°NLon: 90.26°WElev: 0ft.
ra.png

Rain and Windy

78°F

26°C

Humidity 93%
Wind Speed E 63 G 92 mph
Barometer 28.49 in
Dewpoint 76°F (24°C)
Visibility 0.75 mi
Heat Index 81°F (27°C)
Last update 29 Aug 1:35 pm CDT

Lake Charles device recorded 90 mph & gusts 130 before breaking. As another note, I didnt sign in last night b/c Ida couldnt get back to CAT 3. I woke up & shes at 150 mph! Of note, given the swampy nature of the land Ida wont weaken for a while.

• Like 1

2PM CDT N.O. stations: rapid pressure falls continue and winds increasing at Lakefront. Also, note how tight the pressure gradient is based on the 3 mb/.09” difference between the airport and lakefront:

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS   N.O. INTL ARPT RAIN 78 74 87 E36G59 29.43F FOG   N.O. DWNTWN HE RAIN 78 74 87 NE12G35 29.47F FOG   N.O. LAKEFRONT LGT RAIN 78 75 90 E53G66 29.52F FOG

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Been on shore for 2.5 hrs and no degradation at all …most impressive.  I know it’s a lot of marsh and swamp, but still Impressive. 

Center is technically still 1/2 over water with most of the "land" probably covered by surge. I would expect noticeable degradation in the next 1-2 hours as the center finally gets fully onto dry land.

• Like 1