Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

2 minutes ago, STxVortex said:
Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm       

----- Current Analysis ----- 
     Date :  29 AUG 2021    Time :   092020 UTC
      Lat :   28:11:24 N     Lon :   89:11:59 W

This was 35 minutes ago. At previous avg rate of drop Ida could be ~928mb, 133kt/153mph.

Unless Ida has bottomed out [based on the NOAA3 mission's few minutes in the eye], which I can't believe, unlike some recent commenters. Ida will be a Cat 5 shortly.

I was speculating...it wasn't a proclamation. I wouldn't have guessed that, but it seemed the pressure had leveled off.

P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 11°C (52°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,061m (10,043ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 23°C (73°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,069m (10,069ft)

We'll see if it is done intensifying. That is a strong temperature differential - often a sign of ongoing intensification. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think there's something messed up with the extrapolated pressure.  Not just being a weenie. The dropsonde from the last pass measured 936 mb with 13 kt wind (extrap was around 945).

There is no way the pressure has risen given the increased wind measured on this pass and satellite appearance to my eyes showing continued improvements. 

recon_NOAA3-WB09A-IDA_dropsonde7_20210829-0917.thumb.png.0f8f86a922aa101a31046b6cb681e94e.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jaguars said:

It’s hard to look at this motion and see how New Orleans doesn’t take a near direct hit with at least the NE quadrant of the eye wall.  Looks like Ida is going to thread the needle between Houma and NOLA.

Not to mention that they will be in the most dangerous spot for tornadoes as well being in the NE quad. 

• Like 1