Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Obs. : TROPICAL STORM Henri

TalcottWx

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Many are complaining about a bust. I am relieved, several friends and family have no power.  2 have damage to their homes and one has a massive tree blocking his driveway with a wire underneath it so no one will touch it, he can't get out. But all are prepped and OK. You all can have all the damage you want. Nice for me to watch some big gusts and not have any damage or power loss.

What did you get for gusts?

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Many are complaining about a bust. I am relieved, several friends and family have no power.  2 have damage to their homes and one has a massive tree blocking his driveway with a wire underneath it so no one will touch it, he can't get out. But all are prepped and OK. You all can have all the damage you want. Nice for me to watch some big gusts and not have any damage or power loss.

I’m glad it sucked harder than Misty Mist.  That’s unfortunate for your family/friends. Fron a forecast/media perspective it was just brutal. You can play safe with forecasts but when winds come in at 50% of what the forecasts were and how the media sold it, it was overplayed for ratings, and click bait.  This forum did really well spelling it all out and showed the issues with intensity well.  Hell, even I busted on wind intensity but I was not as hung ho as some.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I’m glad it sucked harder than Misty Mist.  That’s unfortunate for your family/friends. Fron a forecast/media perspective it was just brutal. You can play safe with forecasts but when winds come in at 50% of what the forecasts were and how the media sold it, it was overplayed for ratings, and click bait.  This forum did really well spelling it all out and showed the issues with intensity well.  Hell, even I busted on wind intensity but I was not as hung ho as some.

Brutal.   I turned on the TV this AM and it was painful to watch.  Reporters panning in on puddles on the pavement and treetops that were barely moving.   Just say that you're going to return to regular programming and then cut back in if events warrant.   Interestingly back in Hurricane Gloria there was no local coverage outside of regular news times...the soap operas and game shows ran despite a legit storm...what's changed since then?

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Brutal.   I turned on the TV this AM and it was painful to watch.  Reporters panning in on puddles on the pavement and treetops that were barely moving.   Just say that you're going to return to regular programming and then cut back in if events warrant.   Interestingly back in Hurricane Gloria there was no local coverage outside of regular news times...the soap operas and game shows ran despite a legit storm...what's changed since then?

That's actually not true. All the stations had continuous coverage that day. 

One of the reasons why stations will do this for tropical systems and snowstorms is that people will watch in large numbers (our ratings will be much higher for storm coverage than for what the typical programming is) and most people only watch for small chunks of time - so if you're on for 10 hours straight you provide a service for someone who may be interested in checking in every now and then. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Surveyed my yard and all I have is some sticks and leaves, not complaining, the next town over had trees down.

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

That's actually not true. All the stations had continuous coverage that day. 

One of the reasons why stations will do this for tropical systems and snowstorms is that people will watch in large numbers (our ratings will be much higher for storm coverage than for what the typical programming is) and most people only watch for small chunks of time - so if you're on for 10 hours straight you provide a service for someone who may be interested in checking in every now and then. 

Makes sense.  Bummer you had to cut your vacation short for this "storm"

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

From a local news perspective, this was a downright embarrassing forecast. There was a ton of backpedaling at go time, and even that wasn’t enough. The weather hype and click bait has reached a fever pitch. Every weather event is now catastrophic.

This storm was no worse than your average nor’easter for the majority of this forum.

It’s been clear for days that Henry wasn’t getting it’s act together.

And to top it all off, you have a guy like Noyes last night dropping a tweet that the current atmosphere would normally support a cat 4 storm. Like, what are we doing here?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Makes sense.  Bummer you had to cut your vacation short for this "storm"

It's all good. I'm pretty spoiled and travel a ton to cool places. I'll be back.

I've always said that a hurricane is the only weather that will cut a trip short for me. Blizzards are a dime a dozen around here and tornadoes who knows until it's happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

From a local news perspective, this was a downright embarrassing forecast. There was a ton of backpedaling at go time, and even that wasn’t enough. The weather hype and click bait has reached a fever pitch. Every weather event is now catastrophic.

This storm was no worse than your average nor’easter for the majority of this forum.

And to top it all off, you have a guy like Noyes last night dropping a tweet that the current atmosphere would normally support a cat 4 storm. Like, what are we doing here?

I had to turn off Ch 5 this AM.  Trying to play it in places like Falmouth, Westport, where it was not more than a stiff beeeze. Than they would cut to Cindy who was checking on velocities for spinners in that one band where we got 90% of our rain.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's all good. I'm pretty spoiled and travel a ton to cool places. I'll be back.

I've always said that a hurricane is the only weather that will cut a trip short for me. Blizzards are a dime a dozen around here and tornadoes who knows until it's happening.

Yeah, I could see myself coming back too-lol

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I mean they use the same models as everyone else does, we saw the large spread.  48 hours ago there was definitely a higher impact chance.

I still think “over-warn” in these cases is better than getting caught with pants down.  Especially in multi-faceted events where you can have flooding, surge, wind, tornados, etc.

And it was a Sunday so it’s not like all schools and businesses closed up for 1-2” of snow like when a nor’easter whiffs on a Tuesday in December.  There really was not much risk here that I see in over-warning.  Boy cried wolf syndrome doesn’t seem to be a thing because the next time people will take it seriously too it seems… at least history has shown over-warned events don’t lead to less preparation next time it seems in any type of weather.

10 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Update from Marshfield: 1 without power because they unplugged the lamp. Marshfield fair canceled tonight, no fried oreos. Winds decreased to 6 knots with near mist-out.

Heavy Rainbow warning still in effect.

a620d6e5f93d9bc1cc5526cf6fb80344.jpg

This was so never an issue too for them.