• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Henri: Moderate-Major impacts NYC subforum this weekend, possibly into Monday August 21-23, 2021

wdrag

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

More rain today 

I can't even remember the last time I had a snowfall storm total at 8 inches! Maybe back in 2008? At least it looks like nobody died in this in NYC, and the damage seems less than I thought it would be with these amounts. 

Henri may have basically crapped out, but these rainfall totals are historic-broke a record or two.  Always interesting when a record or two falls in an event. A one hour rainfall record being broken is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

I can't even remember the last time I had a snowfall storm total at 8 inches! Maybe back in 2008? At least it looks like nobody died in this in NYC, and the damage seems less than I thought it would be with these amounts. 

Henri may have basically crapped out, but these rainfall totals are historic-broke a record or two.  Always interesting when a record or two falls in an event. A one hour rainfall record being broken is nothing to sneeze at.

Where do you live ? In the desert ?

4 minutes ago, nyrangers1022 said:

Guess I lied.  According to official measurement here in village is at 2.92.  I don't know how, never seemed to rain that hard lol

Good morning nycr ( great ID ). You didn’t lie, it was the truth as you perceived it. That’s how it ends up with many of us. At least until we get hammered by cold hard statistics. As always ….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSn0wman said:

Haven’t been following this one too closely and being at my parents house in Monmouth County we didn’t really get much.

That said I need to take the parkway or turnpike north to Westchester County NY today. Think I should be ok to depart here around 10am?

For now portions of the Hutch, and most of the Saw Mill pkwy is closed. Bronx River pkwy is closed past 233rd st to White Plains 

8 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Where do you live ? In the desert ?

It is right there lol. West Jefferson is a hellhole about 20 miles west of Columbus and a screw zone for any kind of interesting weather.  We did have a small tornado touch down and cause damage a few miles south of me a year or two ago-but nothing interesting weather-wise happens here. This has been the one of the most boring summers weather wise here so I have to get my fix in other areas following tropical storms, heat waves, etc. hence my being in this thread

*plus I love NYC- of all of the major cities I have visited people were the friendliest there to me-quite the opposite of the stereotype.  Also I am a skyscraper nerd so...

*8.05 storm total at Central Park as of 8am.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

It is right there lol. West Jefferson is a hellhole about 20 miles west of Columbus and a screw zone for any kind of interesting weather.  We did have a small tornado touch down and cause damage a few miles south of me a year or two ago-but nothing interesting weather-wise happens here. This has been the one of the most boring summers weather wise here so I have to get my fix in other areas following tropical storms, heat waves, etc. hence my being in this thread

*plus I love NYC- of all of the major cities I have visited people were the friendliest there to me-quite the opposite of the stereotype.  Also I am a skyscraper nerd so...

*8.05 storm total at Central Park as of 8am.

Hope you get a snowy winter this year

28 minutes ago, wdrag said:

A quick post: CoCoRAHS 1 day rainfall and 2 day.  Click each map to view in greater clarity-detail. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 7.43.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 7.45.49 AM.png

Makes sense to me. I’m sandwiched between that 7.73” in Bridgewater and the multiple 6” in mt. Olive.

My basement took on a few inches of water overnight, which is par for the course in very long, heavy rains. Thankful it’s unfinished and made of fieldstone from 1850. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

More rain today 

Yeah I think it’s mostly going to be sprinkles and those puffy high clouds today. The main low is pulling outta here. Also someone mentioned if we get the sun to destabilize the atmosphere we’ll get thunderstorms, I think that’s false, the atmosphere is drying out so chances of thunderstorm for today at least are dropping by the minute. Maybe a shower

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyrangers1022 said:

Guess I lied.  According to official measurement here in village is at 2.92.  I don't know how, never seemed to rain that hard lol

3.04 here. If you look at the maps Wdrag posted, there were 2 reports, one  in upper amounts of 3 and the other report of over 4” right across the River from us. I’m thinking that orgographic lifting had an affect to the fluctuation.

• Rjay unpinned this topic