• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Henri: Moderate-Major impacts NYC subforum this weekend, possibly into Monday August 21-23, 2021

wdrag

5 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

Central Park above 7 inches officially(7.04 inches storm total) as of 8pm. That would be a 24 hour total too since it started at 8 last night.

I wonder how that ranks in 24 hour rainfall totals for NYC?

These precipitation extremes were measured at Central Park and go back to 1869. During that time, the heaviest downpour recorded for a single day there was 8.28 inches (210.3 millimetres) on September 23, 1882.

• Like 1

Just now, nycwinter said:

These precipitation extremes were measured at Central Park and go back to 1869. During that time, the heaviest downpour recorded for a single day there was 8.28 inches (210.3 millimetres) on September 23, 1882.

Actually I looked it up and it(greatest 24 hour total-not single calendar day) was 11.17 inches on October 8-9th, 1903. So this is not really close for that at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

Then why does their Twitter that I linked above say that Central Park ASOS had 1.94" 10-11 and 1.84" 11-midnight? Are we talking about the same station?

"In addition to being the wettest day since 2014... the 1.94" of rain that fell from 10pm to 11pm at Central Park last night was the wettest hour on record for New York City."

"The Central Park ASOS broke the daily maximum rainfall record for 8/21 with 4.45 inches of rain! Most of this rain fell over a 2 hour period, with 1.84 inches falling from 11pm to midnight."

The generated chart is what is in the database. I am not sure where the differences arise. 

• Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic