• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Henri: Moderate-Major impacts NYC subforum this weekend, possibly into Monday August 21-23, 2021

wdrag

41 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I've always wanted to ask here what folks consider to be central Suffolk.  I think people generally consider Central Suffolk to be roughly Smithtown to Manorville.  If you take a ruler out though and measure from the Nassau/Suffolk border to Montauk,  isn't Central Suffolk really more like Riverhead?  I feel like the common Central Suffolk definition would be correct if there was actually a Peconic County like they wanted to create years ago..

no way is Riverhead central Suffolk.  Twin Forks needs to be separated and considered extreme eastern Suffolk.  So eastern Suffolk is just west of the Twin Forks back to about Brookhaven

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

no way is Riverhead central Suffolk.  Twin Forks needs to be separated and considered extreme eastern Suffolk.  So eastern Suffolk is just west of the Twin Forks back to about Brookhaven

Wading river/Manorville/Moriches on east is eastern Suffolk imo.  Brookhaven is central.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

Wading river/Manorville/Moriches on east is eastern Suffolk imo.  Brookhaven is central.

I can go with drawing a line at Wading River and moving it south to the south shore and that would be a nice boundary between central and eastern.  Areas east of that line often mix even on the north shore while just west of Wading River does not.  Mt Sinai might even be Long Island's snow capital.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Western Long Island is nassau/Suffolk border west. Central LI is from nassau border to William Floyd parkway. East of there is eastern LI

That's LI.  This was a Suffolk convo.  Anyway, let's take this to banter and not bore the people with this crap lol. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bkviking said:

I moved from my long term stronghold in Miller Place to Smithtown and while adoring storms and would embrace whatever happens, I prefer this “hurricane” just keep away if it’s not gonna be big impact. Isaias seemed so puny last year and the storm was inland NJ or something but damage and power outrages on Long Island we’re too much. 
As said, I’ll be first to try and embrace a 1938 coming our way - but - don’t want this pesky fly to ruin things with our third world power grid. 

Which gets more snow Miller Place or Smithtown? I would expect it to be Miller Place.

• Like 1

Just now, Cerinthe Major said:

What time do you all think we should expect significant power outages to begin? I had thought it was tomorrow mid-morning but now thinking it could happen before dawn.

I don't expect significant power outages at this time in Port Washington.

• Like 2

What time do you all think we should expect significant power outages to begin? I had thought it was tomorrow mid-morning but now thinking it could happen before dawn.
Definitely looks to be coming quicker

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Which gets more snow Miller Place or Smithtown? I would expect it to be Miller Place.

I believe Miller Place was core of snow capital. @NorthShoreWx produced great maps showing that but I lived it. Still thing Huntington and eastwards was snow capital. 

Now euro shifts west again. Windshield wiper. I get it too - this is so unusual: we have a NAO block and and an approaching upper level low - but not the usual slingshot up to our area. Even Sandy moved once it hit the much stronger block. This thing with landfall and lingering NW turn followed by eventual turn NE is interesting. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bkviking said:

I believe Miller Place was core of snow capital. @NorthShoreWx produced great maps showing that but I lived it. Still thing Huntington and eastwards was snow capital. 

Now euro shifts west again. Windshield wiper. I get it too - this is so unusual: we have a NAO block and and an approaching upper level low - but not the usual slingshot up to our area. Even Sandy moved once it hit the much stronger block. This thing with landfall and lingering NW turn followed by eventual turn NE is interesting. 

Yeah I loved Ed's maps I figured it would be somewhere between Mt Sinai and Shoreham with Miller Place right in between.  The closest co-op is in Mt Sinai so that's the one I'm going by.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Would you consider Miller Place and Mt Sinai central or eastern?

theres a phycological barrier there that skews peoples thinking.

30 years ago, those areas were rural. The rural line was 112.

That isnt the case anymore. The rural line is really the William Floyd now…and it will stay there thanks to Pataki and his protected lands programs.

That said twin forks is its own area.

Eastern Suffolk begins east of Nicols Road imo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I don't expect significant power outages at this time in Port Washington.

Even on the Euro which for some reason wants to go crazy now with an ET transition you only have 925s mid 30s to low 40s in that area which who knows how well it mixes down on west side of storm 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bkviking said:

I'm looking for parallels in history and one that occurred to me was Hurricane Agnes, except that stalled in interior PA instead of upstate NY after making landfall here.  That was  a minimal hurricane too but is much more remembered for its stall and historic flooding.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Even on the Euro which for some reason wants to go crazy now with an ET transition you only have 925s mid 30s to low 40s in that area which who knows how well it mixes down on west side of storm 

ET transition is actually what makes these storms more dynamic and exciting to more people.

One thing to remember too is wind direction is big with these storms.  Winds of 30-40 in nassau or west Suffolk from 280-350 are way less likely to cause damage than winds of 220-110 of the same speed because tree roots here are more accustomed to big winds from the W-NW than SSW-SE.  that is one good point JB often makes and is very true 

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic