• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Henri: Moderate-Major impacts NYC subforum this weekend, possibly into Monday August 21-23, 2021

wdrag

4 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Not looking well defined at this point. It has about 12-24 hours over warm water. If it doesn't intensify then, it won't get any stronger. Looks like there could be decent rains west of the storm center as there is good lift to the west of the storm.

To me it's looking better on visible satellite. You can see the circulation and higher cloud tops forming around the center and will be over warm water next 12-18 hours. Definitely a small core but still can do some damage especially with the heavy rains as you said. 

24 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I have respect for all the mets that put so much time and effort into keeping the public safe but I was just listening to Craig Allen talk live on the radio claiming the most likely landfall location according to the models is central Suffolk.  Idk, maybe he was looking at the Cras.  

I've always wanted to ask here what folks consider to be central Suffolk.  I think people generally consider Central Suffolk to be roughly Smithtown to Manorville.  If you take a ruler out though and measure from the Nassau/Suffolk border to Montauk,  isn't Central Suffolk really more like Riverhead?  I feel like the common Central Suffolk definition would be correct if there was actually a Peconic County like they wanted to create years ago..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

I work in Huntington so I have often followed your posts. I know the winds, even after Isaias was “done,” were still ferocious even when the sun broke out about 4pm that day. So over that crap. I live on the SS, not near the water and I have noticed the NS has gotten the thunderstorms a little worse this Summer, so far. We’ve been relatively dry since mid-July (we were away week of aug 7, so I can’t attest to that). 

I moved from my long term stronghold in Miller Place to Smithtown and while adoring storms and would embrace whatever happens, I prefer this “hurricane” just keep away if it’s not gonna be big impact. Isaias seemed so puny last year and the storm was inland NJ or something but damage and power outrages on Long Island we’re too much. 
As said, I’ll be first to try and embrace a 1938 coming our way - but - don’t want this pesky fly to ruin things with our third world power grid. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I've always wanted to ask here what folks consider to be central Suffolk.  I think people generally consider Central Suffolk to be roughly Smithtown to Manorville.  If you take a ruler out though and measure from the Nassau/Suffolk border to Montauk,  isn't Central Suffolk really more like Riverhead?  I feel like the common Central Suffolk definition would be correct if there was actually a Peconic County like they wanted to create years ago..

Give or take

Screenshot_20210821-135048_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allgame830 said:

Well multiple Mets have said it actually looks like an eye is starting to clear. 

Looking at the IR, it looks like a classic sheared system, not one where you expect a classic eye, in fact 12Z SHIPS guidance indicates shear to increase over the system in a few hours.

• Weenie 1

58 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

I work in Huntington so I have often followed your posts. I know the winds, even after Isaias was “done,” were still ferocious even when the sun broke out about 4pm that day. So over that crap. I live on the SS, not near the water and I have noticed the NS has gotten the thunderstorms a little worse this Summer, so far. We’ve been relatively dry since mid-July (we were away week of aug 7, so I can’t attest to that). 

Been relatively dry here in middle island. Storms seem to die out right after they come through stony brook

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Typical windshield wiper affect. Models over corrected East last night and the shift back to the West has begun with the Euro. I am still thinking that the most likely landfall location is SW Suffolk.

Hamptons to block island imo

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

I have respect for all the mets that put so much time and effort into keeping the public safe but I was just listening to Craig Allen talk live on the radio claiming the most likely landfall location according to the models is central Suffolk.  Idk, maybe he was looking at the Cras.  

wow and he's an all timer too

• Rjay unpinned this topic