Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

4 hours ago, NeonPeon said:

I think the richest country on earth can pay to have itself not look like it just wired itself up over the weekend while drunk. An unreal amount of money needs to go into the usa's energy infrastructure. Doing it properly and beautifying the entire country should be possible, if it's possible virtually everywhere else in the developed world.

We have approximately 5.7 million miles of electrical distribution line in the U.S. At a rough cost of 1 to 1.5 million per mile to bury them, it would cost roughly our entire accumulated national debt from our founding to 2001, or roughly two full years of all U.S. tax revenues just for that one project. You're dreaming.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hoth said:

We have approximately 5.7 million miles of electrical distribution line in the U.S. At a rough cost of 1 to 1.5 million per mile to bury them, it would cost roughly our entire accumulated national debt from our founding to 2001, or roughly two full years of all U.S. tax revenues just for that one project. You're dreaming.

You don't have to bury all of your distribution line. It should just not be above ground where significant densities of people live. The uk has above ground cable too, but it is in the country. I would expect a less dense country to have more of it. I would not expect towns to use it, nor the area around cities.

In addition, you obviously don't do it all at once. But every time you have an opportunity to do it due to other utility work, you do it. And every time you make new development that's dense you do it. 

But yes, of course I'm dreaming. I fully expect the us to keep underinvesting in its horrible electrical grid, and I fully expect everyone to keep ignoring the economic cost of that. I likewise expect it to continue to design around car dependency, and generally not give a shit if everything it allows to be built is ugly.

6 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

not Henri but did anyone else notice  the 0z gfs was close to missing its escape route north with that yellow shaded area in the Atlantic .. much further south this run.. GFS and CMC develop it and send it out but I think it might be something to watch

Which one ? I only see gulf storms.