Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

One of the major issues is cellular towers that crash, and along with it emergency communications (run off the same towers). 

Then we have issues with pumping gas as most do not have generators. 

Many times, you have wires down for days. 

Then you have traffic light issues and crashes due to this. 

Mass transit (trains) stop. 

Food in grocery stores spoil. 

Ports stop functioning properly. 

Water becomes contaminated. 

Hospitals have no power after a certain time frame as well. 

Episode of the Walking Dead?

• Haha 1

we lose power over a little gust here.. I think it was 3 days one of the times  and 2 the other ones were a half day or less.. the october storm we lost it for 10.. the streets on each side of us lost it for 8 and it sucked looking out and being in the dark while they were all cozy lol. 

14 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

One of the major issues is cellular towers that crash, and along with it emergency communications (run off the same towers). 

Then we have issues with pumping gas as most do not have generators. 

Many times, you have wires down for days. 

Then you have traffic light issues and crashes due to this. 

Mass transit (trains) stop. 

Food in grocery stores spoil. 

Ports stop functioning properly. 

Water becomes contaminated. 

Hospitals have no power after a certain time frame as well. 

But its only an inconvenience,  lose some meat and milk.....

• Like 1

Given the mission data and a few hours left over some warm water I bet it is a borderline cat 2 come early morning. 

Rookie question, anyone know if models run off current or historical SST data? Wonder if it being a few degrees warmer than usual slows the weakening process. 

41 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I feel CT would be sent back to the dark ages if a real hurricane hit.  It’s bad enough when you’re getting a minor storm and it’s gonna knock a million people out for a week plus

Need to come to SENC after a cane...  Ya'll are WEAK.. 2 weeks the NORM.. Country folks can survive & all that.. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Prospero said:

We were out almost 3 weeks after Irma. Funny, for us down here in Florida it was the not having A/C that was killing us. Our food in the fridge was gone in 2 or 3 days, we had battery fans and lights, and ate canned food or out anywhere that was open (A/C too).

I wonder up north what is the worst issue of no power.

No heat is probably the biggest problem of a prolonged power outage.  It was after an outage of a couple of days without power in the winter that I broke down and had a transfer switch installed so I can cycle through running the refrigerator, furnace, sump pump, and some lights/outlets.  I also always keep a kerosene heater in operating condition to run in the basement.  Next step is a bigger generator so I can run them all simultaneously, along with at least one window AC unit. With more and more days/nights with dew points in the 70s here, however, AC is moving from nice to have to a week without AC in July and August would be miserable.

Haven't had to use the transfer switch yet.  I'm thinking tomorrow may be the first time if landfall is along the RI coast.

• Like 1

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic