Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

8 days without power? Wtf, you live in Afghanistan?  I think I’ve lost power here a total of 2 days in 17 years.  

11 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Must be nice to live in the city, I lost power for 5 days for Irene and 5 for the October Snow storm, and I wasn’t necessarily in the sticks of NE CT

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Off the top of my head for me: 10 days Oct 11 snow, 9 days May 18 Tornado, and 7 days Aug 20 Isiass.

9 days for Irene, 3 for Octobomb, 8 for IsiASS.  Sucks being at the end of the lines on a rural road.

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I do live in a city of 60+k with a municipal power company, but I live in a rural part of it away from downtown.  I’m surrounded by the airport, cranberry bogs and farmland.

I've lived in Boston or it's suburbs my entire life. Can't remember the power ever being off more than half a day. Excluding the Blizzard of 78 which was about a week.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It can deepen but that doesn’t always equate to winds. Probably will help augment and expand winds. 

Yeah usually a lag and in this case that won’t ever translate.  This probably (unless you believe the Euro) comes in as a true tropical too and not an ETer which means those winds don’t mix down as well as a land falling strengthening storm.  I’m not sure what to expect even for far eastern LI and RI as far as winds 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I feel CT would be sent back to the dark ages if a real hurricane hit.  It’s bad enough when you’re getting a minor storm and it’s gonna knock a million people out for a week plus

A Cat 3 hurricane barreling into CT would be catastrophic for your power grid

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I feel CT would be sent back to the dark ages if a real hurricane hit.  It’s bad enough when you’re getting a minor storm and it’s gonna knock a million people out for a week plus

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Irene , shit many in October snow bomb lost it for two weeks. Glad you are privileged though. Of course interior Emass doesn't get crazy storms

I’m with TMLP like Bob…. I’ve had TMLP my whole life… I went years as a kid without ever losing power. Rates are low, and if we do lose it, it’s never for long. It’s a good gig.

CT power infrastructure is apparently a house of cards?

If we're competing for longest outage I'll put in my entry.  Was out over a month in FL for Charlie.  It absolutely sucked for the couple days we stayed there, so hot and humid and still and ultra buggy and fire ants outside.  We didn't stick around for it though.  Luckily was able to borrow a snowbird's condo on the other side of the state.

Of course loss of life and injury is the worst and destruction of property comes after that but extended outages are definitely not fun.  Also note that it's a freaking mess on the roads when there are no traffic lights.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m with TMLP like Bob…. I’ve had TMLP my whole life… I went years as a kid without ever losing power. Rates are low, and if we do lose it, it’s never for long. It’s a good gig.

CT power infrastructure is apparently a house of cards?

They can get away with it. Try telling a customer in Newton that their power may be back on in 8 to 21 days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbutts said:

If we're competing for longest outage I'll put in my entry.  Was out over a month in FL for Charlie.  It absolutely sucked for the couple days we stayed there, so hot and humid and still and ultra buggy and fire ants outside.  We didn't stick around for it though.  Luckily was able to borrow a snowbird's condo on the other side of the state.

Of course loss of life and injury is the worst and destruction of property comes after that but extended outages are definitely not fun.  Also note that it's a freaking mess on the roads when there are no traffic lights.

We were out almost 3 weeks after Irma. Funny, for us down here in Florida it was the not having A/C that was killing us. Our food in the fridge was gone in 2 or 3 days, we had battery fans and lights, and ate canned food or out anywhere that was open (A/C too).

I wonder up north what is the worst issue of no power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prospero said:

We were out almost 3 weeks after Irma. Funny, for us down here in Florida it was the not having A/C that was killing us. Our food in the fridge was gone in 2 or 3 days, we had battery fans and lights, and ate canned food or out anywhere that was open (A/C too).

If it happens during winter, the cold. Houses will quickly get cold without heat. 

• Like 1

Just now, Prospero said:

One of the major issues is cellular towers that crash, and along with it emergency communications (run off the same towers). 

Then we have issues with pumping gas as most do not have generators. 

Many times, you have wires down for days. 

Then you have traffic light issues and crashes due to this. 

Mass transit (trains) stop. 

Food in grocery stores spoil. 

Ports stop functioning properly. 

Water becomes contaminated. 

Hospitals have no power after a certain time frame as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic