Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

4 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Even down here not all electric lines aren’t buried but, Florida Power & Light has invested in their network, swapping out most poles to cement including the high tension poles. 

Florida also doesn't have the trees that New England does, and that's really the problem. We could have cement poles too but when a 60 foot tree lands on the wires cement pole or not the power is done for.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

It's a combination or weather, lack of maintenance and over population. 

The grids were built a long time ago. They are yet to be update in a true fashion. Meanwhile the NE and W coasts (TX also) continue to become increasingly populated. Strain increases, maintancece continues to decrease and the situation spirals. 

Yeah... I have a neighbor who is a retired "Journeymen" - that's grid's old-school title for line guys.  I can ask..

These may in fact be the factors as you outline.  It's interesting to parse that out - I mean... electricity doesn't care ( heh ) where it goes.  Population is big and too big, no doubt, but in a sense, if the grid matures along with it, ...doesn't matter. That logic tends to indict the maintenance.  Which "maintenance" is kind of a loaded term.   It's not just cleaning up after a storm.  Obviously where I am going with this, it's as much preventative. Maybe if the ethic was there, it's thus not being complacent, and continuing to develop new technologies ...etc...etc. and there becomes a lot of complexity to what maintenance really "should" mean.  But you look out there, you see the same cables strung between poles like I remember when I was kid back when the dinosaurs roamed...

Just now, Chrisrotary12 said:

Can’t wait for this to fall apart before making landfall. Take models out of it….what happens to a disorganized tropical storm drifting slowly over cold water?

Why would you say drifting? It's trucking along at 14 mph. Do you think this thing is just going to fall apart in the next 18 hours before making first landfall on Long Island?

2 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Can’t wait for this to fall apart before making landfall. Take models out of it….what happens to a disorganized tropical storm drifting slowly over cold water?

Yeah. That's what I'm wondering. If this thing never gets its act together, it becomes nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

heh ... no argument from me..

I've pounded this cold water/stability -related stuff for days, sensing the futility in doing so, finally gave up... mostly - ...

I think most that are versed know that and sort of table it and wait it out.  They don't want that to limit, but they don't argue it either. 

What this fugger really needed for the enthusiasts is factor or two more intensity moving much much faster.  We've hit on the notion that it is neither, too and also ...gave up.  Lol

3 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

There are still a few analyzing every latest sat image convincing themselves that it's about to "take off"...lol

Its always been going to be a bad nor Easter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

This is concerning, extreme lack of wind shear here. Very anomalous 

gefs_shear_anom_eastcoastus_18.png

Not really sure if characterize that as “extreme lack of shear.” If anything, shear is increasing along the mid-Atlantic coast and decreasing over New England. Modest shear downstream, but yes, somewhat less than you’d expect to see for a tropical system heading toward SNE. 

wg8sht.GIF

2 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Based on past mistakes I tend to avoid forecasting and poo pooing storms before the impact is known, but It truly looks like crap at the moment.  Gloria was 145mph and Bob was 115 before they started weakening and both moved faster than this is forecast to.  The slow speed logically would mean that there may be big rainfall totals, but that appears to be setting up west of our area if at all.  If the bar is for widespread power outages and small flooding in SNE this will probably clear it, but beyond that seems very doubtful. 

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic