Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We will certainly lose a few 

It's comical how each forecasting source/geography is taking ownership of the track guidance.  It's making me actually giggle.  It's as though advertising the exciting strike zone as better in our store, competing for ratings has turned weather events into that faux panache of marketing tricks.

All these offices ( media ) have software and skill to formulate their own graphics these days ... so, they plug the ensemble member into the graphics engine that is the most dystopian excitement for their own ratings?

That's what it comes off as.  I have not seen a concensus that supports that far West, and nothing about now cast evinces that as the most likely either.  Possible, sure ..  All there is, is a couple ensemble members from whichever lusty appeal doing that.

The problem is a sociological one.  Media has come to an understanding that there are no penalties for false impressions - the forgetfulness of feckless society becomes a marvelous buffer.  However, there is huge huge pay-back dividends for getting it right if they roll dice on a scenario and it happens to come true.  It's like all of corporate media engages in Bastardiism

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Quincy said:

No wind damage for Kev and no more damaging tor threat. What’s he got left to hope for, maybe damaging rain?

He may lose a few branches with southerly flow. Think about quickly and easily it rips through there in the winter to scour out the cold. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's comical how each forecasting source/geography is taking ownership of the track guidance.  It's making actually giggle.   All these offices ( media ) have software and skill to formulate their own graphics these days ... so, they plug the ensemble member into the graphics engine that is the most dystopian excitement for ratings?

That's what it comes off as.  I have not seen a concensus that supports that far West, and noting about now cast evinces that as the most likely either.  All there is, is a couple ensemble members from whichever lusty appeal doing that.

The problem is a sociological one.  Media has come to an understanding that there are no penalties for false impressions - the forgetfulness of feckless society becomes a marvelous buffer.  However, there is huge huge pay-back dividends for getting it right if they roll dice on a scenario and it happens to come true.  It's like all of corporate media engages in Bastardiism

That was the 5am NHC forecast.  Bob is straight up. You are off the mark here. Things change over time.

092545_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's comical how each forecasting source/geography is taking ownership of the track guidance.  It's making actually giggle.   All these offices ( media ) have software and skill to formulate their own graphics these days ... so, they plug the ensemble member into the graphics engine that is the most dystopian excitement for ratings?

That's what it comes off as.  I have not seen a concensus that supports that far West, and noting about now cast evinces that as the most likely either.  All there is, is a couple ensemble members from whichever lusty appeal doing that.

It's the nhc track. Come on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

NHC forecast is directly fed into their graphics. Isn’t it good to have some uniformity? You don’t want stations going rogue like some do in Oklahoma and start using their own made up warnings, for example. 

Let’s give ‘em a break. Don’t think that’s a fair criticism. 

Yeah... the last 12 pages and all that..

I just remember a TS landfalling and weakening smear through the area last year, and it was S winds gusting in squally rains for a couple of hours ..even up here along Rt 2 in N-NE Massachusetts...

It ended abruptly and the sun came out ..with the soothing tropical sort of ointment air you get when it gets sort of calmer with more gentler wind gusts after the primitive cool boundary of the underbelly brings in clearing rather abruptly.  How could I resist!  Perfect cycling... just some wet roads but whatever.  

Unfortunately, the bike path had a felled large limb if not tree every mile or so along the entire 12.   It was a pain in the ass.  Power was also out along some adjacent roads I could use as go-arounds, because traffic lights were off or blinking from battery.  It was weird, I thought, " ..The winds did not seem really quite that bad...  I remember thunderstorms with stronger outflows" etc..

That was winds gusting to may 42 mph in about 2" of rain and some loosely bound rad-based tor warnings.  Similar actually to the band that came through yesterday and brought the EOF to Clinton...etc...etc...

It occurred to me then that although the entire cinema of it was a disappointing as an "entirely responsible intellect in storm enthusiasm" ( haha ), we cannot really down play 'threat' or negate it too far, just because it's not got the badge of hour Category.   50mph wind gusts in heavy rain and seasonally wet root balls can be hugely problematic.  And, ironically ..this strength of TS probably brings a more prolific coverage/realization of tor warning rad trips and dangling ropes sawing off tree tops.  There's still plenty to be "responsible" over -

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The accordion player melted hard and fast last night over the west trends too.

WHY, Why does everyone think that was a Meltdown?  Goes to door how No One understands how I type to my personality.  

A. I DO NOT want a Tropical System.  They take down trees.  Good riddance to it.  Only good thing is I can go find out find & play for Jim Cantore & maybe get on air.  

B. It was an Affirmation of my Correct Prediction whichI told all my friends asking, that it would end up Well West of where all models had it Wednesday.  It was a VICTORY LAP, not a Meltdown.  Jeez.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's comical how each forecasting source/geography is taking ownership of the track guidance.  It's making me actually giggle.  It's as though advertising the exciting strike zone as better in our store, competing for ratings has turned weather events into that faux panache of marketing tricks.

All these offices ( media ) have software and skill to formulate their own graphics these days ... so, they plug the ensemble member into the graphics engine that is the most dystopian excitement for their own ratings?

That's what it comes off as.  I have not seen a concensus that supports that far West, and nothing about now cast evinces that as the most likely either.  Possible, sure ..  All there is, is a couple ensemble members from whichever lusty appeal doing that.

Literally just had this convo with my wife. There is such a psychology piece to this. I would like to think it is about getting people prepared "just in case" but I'm sure it is all about clicks, likes, and views. If you're a little off and it is not as bad, whatever, the weathermen are always wrong. But if you're right, people remember and then you have a viewer/subscriber for life. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PowderBeard said:

Literally just had this convo with my wife. There is such a psychology piece to this. I would like to think it is about getting people prepared "just in case" but I'm sure it is all about clicks, likes, and views. If you're a little off and it is not as bad, whatever, the weathermen are always wrong. But if you're right, people remember and then you have a viewer/subscriber for life. 

The stations are running their graphics from official sources. 

• Thanks 2

Henri is a hurricane as of 11am

..HENRI IS NOW A HURRICANE...
...A DANGEROUS STORM SURGE, HURRICANE CONDITIONS, AND FLOODING
RAINFALL EXPECTED IN PORTIONS OF THE NORTHEAST UNITED STATES
BEGINNING LATE TONIGHT OR EARLY SUNDAY...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.4N 72.5W
ABOUT 180 MI...290 KM ESE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 465 MI...745 KM S OF MONTAUK POINT NEW YORK
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...991 MB...29.27 INCHES
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Nick's right to point out that the track guidance is actually NHC's at this point - thanks Nick, I was not aware when I was a snarking LOL. 

However, the essence of what I was saying is true - media sources do 'hedge' for impressions and I hate it -

What is interesting is that they, NHC, appear to be aligning their "consensus" with EPS almost like cut-and-paste.  The GEFs don't look that way??

• Like 2

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic