• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

Here is 1938 track for comparison. Of course the timing, intensity and forward speed are completely different. I suspect this July was the wettest for you guys since that year, so it's interesting seeing the tracks so similar, at least as projected now. The 1937-38 July-June year was my top local match for precipitation to 2020-21 out of all years in the past 100, so I'm not real surprised that we've had a Summer with similar enough jet-stream / high / low positioning for this type of track to happen. A lot of your hurricane hits do seem to pass that magical ~32N/72W spot. In the old days, a hurricane was supposed to have a surface pressure under 980 mb on the saffir-simpson scale. At 994 mb...it's kind of meh in terms of strength by that measure.

Screenshot-2021-08-20-10-25-54-PM1024px-1938_New_England_hurricane_track.png

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

This may be pulling a TS Chris right now. Looks completely sheared with full decoupling. 

I expect hurricane warnings to be dropped. Won't be more than a weak TS at landfall.

Intensity forecasts are a pain but I was surprised a bit NHC moved the track west at 11pm.  I was not at all understanding of why they did that based off the 18Z guidance, obviously they had no reliable 00z models yet at that point

Seeing guidance windshield wipe isn't terribly surprising. That's pretty common from what I've seen with tropical. Heck, it happens for winter systems too. 

As for recon, I'm not sure what they saw on radar but when examining the area I didn't see anything that stood out. 

7 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

HMON into the CT/RI border as well.

Seems to be the consensus of 00z so far.   If the Euro supports it NHC probably needs to shift the warnings east  into RI/MA at 5am.   Could probably downgrade to a TS warning west of Old Saybrook

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Euro likes my Montauk point idea.

My thought is over the Twin Forks but close enough. Henri's struggling so it might be fairly irrelevant in the end other than where the heavy rain sets up. There won't be that bad a surge and wind impact if it doesn't start ramping up soon, and also since it'll have to rely on being purely tropical north of the Gulf Stream. It'll have a nasty (damaging but not widely destructive) impact in terms of surge in the funneling bays and winds on the east side but if it kinda stays as is I think it might tick east some more and be generally known as a rain event with power outages where the border hurricane gusts happen. Maybe tomorrow we'll all be humbled with an eye as it pounds into a Cat 2 but I'm not seeing the wow here. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

My thought is over the Twin Forks but close enough. Henri's struggling so it might be fairly irrelevant in the end other than where the heavy rain sets up. There won't be that bad a surge and wind impact if it doesn't start ramping up soon, and also since it'll have to rely on being purely tropical north of the Gulf Stream. It'll have a nasty (damaging but not widely destructive) impact in terms of surge in the funneling bays and winds on the east side but if it kinda stays as is I think it might tick east some more and be generally known as a rain event with power outages where the border hurricane gusts happen. Maybe tomorrow we'll all be humbled with an eye as it pounds into a Cat 2 but I'm not seeing the wow here. 

There have only been 8 hurricanes to strike new england since 1900...a category 1 is a very rare event even if it doesn't seem so because we're used to tracking powerful canes in the south. two cat 3's, three cat 2's and three cat 1's in over 120 years

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I've always just expected hydro issues...its not going to intensify much.

2 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

There have only been 8 hurricanes to strike new england since 1900...a category 1 is a very rare event even if it doesn't seem so because we're used to tracking powerful canes in the south. two cat 3's, three cat 2's and three cat 1's in over 120 years

I would give a greater than 50/50 shot it landfalls as a TS, but won't make a difference. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Unless it seriously gets going soon I'm not sold on it coming ashore as more than a 50-60mph tropical storm. A compact system like this will fade pretty quick north of the Gulf Stream unless it hauls which models aren't doing. Sure there will be wind and surge impacts east of the track but the small size and diminishing intensity would mean a small area of impacts from those. I'm starting to lean to this more as a rain event. Again watch this explode tomorrow but still. 

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic