Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Fred

WxWatcher007

Just now, Wannabehippie said:

How well has the HWRF handled Fred so far?

Well, the HWRF has managed to illustrate every possible scenario. It's been all over the place. Just saying, what's going on now with center re-formation near the Keys is one of the scenarios from previous runs. 

Fred looks better this morning. Yesterday was a relatively cool quiet cloudy day around weather wise. This morning we can feel a decent breeze from Fred and there is that "feel" of a Tropical system. If I were a little kid I would say we feel the "big air" moving. I don't have any plans to secure anything except move a few potted plants to the ground and put away anything that can fly around with bigger breezes. It does look like we could be scraped by the edge of some bands later with rain and some wind, although probably not TS strength. That is still fun enough for me.

Looks like the cone inched back east a little bit overnight.

image.thumb.png.1d9136e849ef9d654eb82af1062a212b.png

56 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Fred looks better this morning. Yesterday was a relatively cool quiet cloudy day around weather wise. This morning we can feel a decent breeze from Fred and there is that "feel" of a Tropical system. If I were a little kid I would say we feel the "big air" moving. I don't have any plans to secure anything except move a few potted plants to the ground and put away anything that can fly around with bigger breezes. It does look like we could be scraped by the edge of some bands later with rain and some wind, although probably not TS strength. That is still fun enough for me.

Looks like the cone inched back east a little bit overnight.

image.thumb.png.1d9136e849ef9d654eb82af1062a212b.png

The convection is trying to wrap around what appears to be the LLC, but that ULL is still causing the convection to be displaced. It is like every time some wraps around, it gets blown to the east.
image.thumb.png.7a1f8d7313c2c56d3c04ae7259bfa2f9.png

• Like 2

Tropical Storm Fred Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL062021
840 AM EDT Sun Aug 15 2021

...REMNANTS OF FRED RE-DEVELOP INTO A TROPICAL STORM...

Reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft 
indicate that Fred has regained tropical storm status over the 
southeastern Gulf of Mexico.  Tropical Storm Warnings will be 
issued for portions of the northern Gulf coast on the 11 AM EDT/  
10 AM CDT/1500 UTC advisory.

SUMMARY OF 840 AM EDT...1240 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.9N 84.7W
ABOUT 350 MI...565 KM SSE OF PENSACOLA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1008 MB...29.77 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Beven

• Like 1

Tropical Storm Fred Tropical Cyclone UpdateNWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL062021840 AM EDT Sun Aug 15 2021...REMNANTS OF FRED RE-DEVELOP INTO A TROPICAL STORM...Reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that Fred has regained tropical storm status over the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.  Tropical Storm Warnings will be issued for portions of the northern Gulf coast on the 11 AM EDT/  10 AM CDT/1500 UTC advisory.SUMMARY OF 840 AM EDT...1240 UTC...INFORMATION----------------------------------------------LOCATION...25.9N 84.7WABOUT 350 MI...565 KM SSE OF PENSACOLA FLORIDAMAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/HPRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/HMINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1008 MB...29.77 INCHES$$Forecaster Beven

No doubt Fred has a well-defined LLC per early visual this morning.
9f5a4d92efd2c1c68052a7764658120c.gif
  • Like 3

We just ran out to St Pete Beach to get an omelette at the best breakfast place in Pinellas County, "The Frog Pond," just in case Fred does some kind of wild RI and makes a hard unexpected right turn towards the coast like Charlie did at the last moment and destroys all our favorite beach places as a Cat 3. You know, "just in case." ;) 

The weather is very nice right now, cool and cloudy with a nice steady off-shore breeze. The sky is very dark over the Gulf.

Image below from Clearwater Beach.

image2.thumb.jpg.73d4f8726c95dae6ceb696271b3821e2.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

What is the source of that data?  That peak looks suspicious.

SailFlow is where I look. There was a 50 mph gust at Alligator Reef Lighthouse a few miles from there around 15 minutes later that I posted earlier. I'm sure it was a line of thunderstorms that passed over the eastern keys in an outer band. I would suspect a waterspout made this spike, but it appears the 60 mph winds lasted about 15 minutes or so which is more in line with a severe thunderstorm.

11:00 am discussion:

The center re-formed northward during the redevelopment process, and the initial position is re-located to the north of the previous advisory position.  While the forecast guidance is basically unchanged in calling for a north-northwest motion followed by a turn toward the north near landfall on the northern Gulf coast, the new initial position requires the forecast track to be shifted about 40 n mi to the east of the previous track through the landfall time. Fred is now expected to make landfall in the western Florida Panhandle sometime Monday afternoon or evening.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:32 AM, SandySurvivor said:

I am flying into Miami today in preparation of chasing Fred after looking at the latest HWRF.  Little nervous about chasing this in the Keys with potential surge issues.

@SandySurvivor

Did you get chasing in? How did it go? Any pix or video clips? I guess Key West would have been the best location.

This is setting up to bring unneeded heavy rain for the Atlanta area. Most of that area has had above normal rainfall this summer and thus this could be setting them up for flooding concerns. The NHC projected track 100 or so miles to their west and northwest into NE AL is the type of track that often brings them multiple inches of rain within a short period. Fortunately, it looks to not be a slow mover, however (more like average speed for a TC in that area in August).

• Like 1