• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 General Discussion

Spartman

The nearly stationary pop up storms are mainly migrating NW which is an exceptionally rare vector around here. Constant thunder at 5pm. Early in the afternoon I was getting 33ºC for a hour or so. For 10 mins I got to 34.3ºC which may have been the hottest temp of 2021 so far :). Its rare to get my yearly high this late in the summer.

This is a low-key brutal heatwave (not technically a heatwave though) that is ongoing if the forecast holds 8-9 days with humidex readings 35-40C all those days :sun:. This is the hottest stretch for this specific range that I've experienced with near 30C all these days that I recall but 2016 was also similar.

A nice line of storms sank southeast through eastern Iowa this morning.  The rain rate wasn't super heavy, perhaps because it wasn't particularly warm and humid, but ninety minutes of steady to occasionally heavy rain dumped 1.13" on my yard.  The driest part of the area got the most rain, so it worked out perfectly.  Now we just need a few more of these south-sinking lines this week.  It's possible the building heat could keep everything north.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

@hawkeye_wx @cyclone77 I was in eastern Iowa yesterday (I-80 corridor vicinity just west of the QC, took US 61 through Maquoketa/Dubuque to/from) and it struck me how much drier everything looked compared to south-central WI.

Yeah just a bit over a half inch for Aug here.

Finished with 0.17" of anvil rain this morning.

Tomorrow has the potential to be the hottest day of the year, just after Saturday's highest. TWN giving me a 33ºC feeling like 43C (highest humidex forecast in 2021). This is just a wicked heatwave for SON. My 7-day was dramatically increased for temps and humidex removing the temp cooldown on Thurs/Fri. I'll have to comb through my data but this streak of above 27-28C with the sultry is becoming insane. 2nd half of Aug 2016 didn't have sweat equity like this that I know of.

The Greenwood wildfire north of me expanded from 10,000 to 19,500 acres overnight. North Shore got smoked out really bad last night too. Woke up at 0 dark 30 to close window. Just nasty. We had some rain this morning (around 0.1") in town, but very little made its way up north. Chance for more this aftrn/eve, but any lightning strikes could start more fires. There is currently a 1500 acre fire going in the BWCA, with a couple other small ones.

Aug 23 Greenwood fire.jpg

Aug 24 Greenwood fire.jpeg

20 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Seems like a mistake for LOT to not have a heat advisory (at minimum) over their entire CWA. Currently 95/74/106 here with no heat headlines. Just miserable outside. 

Some areas farther north (like you) are flirting with criteria, but it doesn't seem as widespread as farther south.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Some areas farther north (like you) are flirting with criteria, but it doesn't seem as widespread as farther south.

Yeah…I guess my beef is that the criteria are too strict. HI of 100+ should be an advisory, with a warning for 105+.

HIs of 100+ feel very uncomfortable and oppressive even during the peak of summer…and especially in late August when it’s a bit rarer. 

I just use the “reasonability” test. If any day deserved heat headlines here, it’s today. Whether 103 or 106 or 107, it’s still oppressive. It’s a confusing message when part of the CWA is under an advisory and part isn’t…as it’s not a snow/no snow situation like winter, and there’s no lake breeze to make it much cooler in the northern counties. 

Not a big deal, and of course I am not intending to criticize the NWS. Sometimes I just think simpler is better - heat headlines everywhere. Maybe I’m just getting older and can’t stand the humidity anymore. :(

I was in the screw zone for weeks, but I've been hit good three times in the last four days.  I picked up another 1.07" this evening.  The first line crapped out and dropped very little, but the second line really came through.

Previous 7 weeks: 0.98"

Last four days: 2.75"

I could not have asked for more out of this pattern.  My luck has flipped hard.  Let's keep this going.

• Like 2