• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Really great day today at Killington. I was impressed. They reported 3” but I pulled into the Ramshead Lot and there was at least 3-4” there at the base. Lot of varying conditions like Powderfreak mentioned at Stowe. Some mid winter-esque packed powder higher up and some spring corn bumps down lower by lunchtime. Awesome bluebird day and full sun. Chilly in the morning but very comfortable later on. The coverage they still have at killington is very very impressive and about “half” the mountain still felt open. I think they will make it till early June on Superstar as there is 20ft on snow blown on it right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angus said:

@powderfreakfrom the look of Tim Kelley's twitter account, he appears to be skiing at Stowe this morning - things look pretty good! 

Driving home from BTV yesterday afternoon, it looked like Mansfield was shrouded in snow showers. We even got an inch here 30 miles southeast at 1250" overnight. 

Stratton was super fun today.  Fresh couple inches at the top early made for some midwinter like conditions for a couple hours. By afternoon things were full out spring mashed potatoes. Frank’s Fall line was the run of the day, the snow they blew last week has really made a difference.  
Stratton has been a lot of fun this year for me.  They surprisingly have a decent amount of fun lower angle trees.  I only got a chance to get into them once or twice all season. But I will say I enjoyed many nice days just cruising around.

• Like 1

Jay was interesting in a fun way today.  Snow up high and rain down low.  Given how nasty it was the other day I’d call the skiing pretty good.  Coverage was still pretty nice. The woods skied really well, especially where other skiers had broken down a bit of the grabby crust.  
Looking forward to some fresh snow tomorrow morning.  
Not many pictures due to the weather.

1E31D6DC-C710-4A9C-BE5A-9FE5466C74B4.jpeg

• Like 2

I keep skiing so I’ll keep posting in here!   As mentioned in the NNE thread, Jay Peak was awesome Sunday. Patrol dropped some ropes and the lucky few who were there feasted.  Green Beret and Valhalla off the tram we’re fantastic.  Plenty of fun turns we’re had off of the jet as well. Very happy to have made the trip up there. 

• Like 2

just arrived back, skied SLoaf Sunday and yesterday.

Sunday was far better than expected - partly cloudy skies loosened the snow pack. They received 4-5" on the upper third of mountain Saturday afternoon/evening which is the part of the mountain that you really ski - King Pine and Skyline lifts. I was stunned to be able to ski and enjoy a couple steeper, natural snow only trails off the top - Bubblecuffer and Winter's Way.

Yesterday was fantastic - blue sky from get-go and slopes gradually softened and everything was good to go by around 11ish. Mountain was fairly deserted - did I say the skiing was just fantastic. You could see Baxter Peak covered in white in the distance along with all the western Maine mountains clearly. The mountain has received little snow since my visit two weeks ago but frankly not really sure if they have lost much either. The trails are deep all the way to the bottom and they have a ton of snow to push around if they need to keep the base lift - superquad - connected and running until May 1 when I think everyone believes they will call it a season. Yesterday was just one of those days that you dream about all winter long.

On Sunday after skiing @tamarack, I drove up to Coburn Gore/Chain of Ponds to the border crossing - I'd never been further than Stratton/Eustis. Beautiful area - the ponds are still covered in ice but the ice is very rotten. The views of the Bigelows and Flagstaff lake from north of Eustis give you a very different perspective as well. Drove home via Waterville and didn't realize the mill in Madison had closed - not sure how long that's been but it's too bad for the local economy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Angus said:

just arrived back, skied SLoaf Sunday and yesterday.

Sunday was far better than expected - partly cloudy skies loosened the snow pack. They received 4-5" on the upper third of mountain Saturday afternoon/evening which is the part of the mountain that you really ski - King Pine and Skyline lifts. I was stunned to be able to ski and enjoy a couple steeper, natural snow only trails off the top - Bubblecuffer and Winter's Way.

Yesterday was fantastic - blue sky from get-go and slopes gradually softened and everything was good to go by around 11ish. Mountain was fairly deserted - did I say the skiing was just fantastic. You could see Baxter Peak covered in white in the distance along with all the western Maine mountains clearly. The mountain has received little snow since my visit two weeks ago but frankly not really sure if they have lost much either. The trails are deep all the way to the bottom and they have a ton of snow to push around if they need to keep the base lift - superquad - connected and running until May 1 when I think everyone believes they will call it a season. Yesterday was just one of those days that you dream about all winter long.

On Sunday after skiing @tamarack, I drove up to Coburn Gore/Chain of Ponds to the border crossing - I'd never been further than Stratton/Eustis. Beautiful area - the ponds are still covered in ice but the ice is very rotten. The views of the Bigelows and Flagstaff lake from north of Eustis give you a very different perspective as well. Drove home via Waterville and didn't realize the mill in Madison had closed - not sure how long that's been but it's too bad for the local economy.

Chain of Ponds is a lovely drive but not one for gazing away from the road for long - lots of curves, lots of trucks.  Great campground, too, though it's not open yet.  IMO, best view of the Bigelow Range is up the Eustis Ridge Road, which leaves Rt 27 near the north edge of old growth red pine (Cathedral Pines, some of which may have been saplings when Benedict Arnold's army passed by on the way to Quebec in 1775.)  There's a scenic overlook at ~1.7 miles that used to have picnic tables - was deep in snow last time I went by, but I've heard there's even a better view ~3/4 mile further.

12 hours ago, tamarack said:

Chain of Ponds is a lovely drive but not one for gazing away from the road for long - lots of curves, lots of trucks.  Great campground, too, though it's not open yet.  IMO, best view of the Bigelow Range is up the Eustis Ridge Road, which leaves Rt 27 near the north edge of old growth red pine (Cathedral Pines, some of which may have been saplings when Benedict Arnold's army passed by on the way to Quebec in 1775.)  There's a scenic overlook at ~1/7 miles that used to have picnic tables - was deep in snow last time I went by, but I've heard there's even a better view ~3/4 mile further.

On Eustis Ridge, the “scenic overlook” at the top of the hill is gradually being hemmed in by trees, but still a nice spot. If you continue on the road, dowhill and curving to the left, it doesn’t look very promising but eventually you get to open lots with a few houses and the view is wide open  - the whole panorama from Saddleback to Bigelow.

7 hours ago, uncletim said:

On Eustis Ridge, the “scenic overlook” at the top of the hill is gradually being hemmed in by trees, but still a nice spot. If you continue on the road, dowhill and curving to the left, it doesn’t look very promising but eventually you get to open lots with a few houses and the view is wide open  - the whole panorama from Saddleback to Bigelow.

Trees grow.  When my wife and I were there 2 years ago in early March, we had to walk down the road a ways to get much of a view, and were unaware of the better views from farther west. 

28 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

Please tell me more about the cathedral pines campground. Definitely interested!

Tempted to call to see if they've got any waterfront sites still available for any point this summer. Doubt it though... looks like a great place to kayak.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

This site should get you to their website. 

www.gopinescamping.com

I know no details about the campground itself, but it's in a lovely spot on one of Maine's truly unique lakes.  Flagstaff is the state's 4th largest lake and was created by Long Falls Dam at its east end.  The impoundment erased over 20 miles of the North Branch of the Dead River and began filling in 1950.  Because of several reasons, this huge lake is nearly ideal for people-powered watercraft, though its size and the (gorgeous) Bigelow Range to its south means water can get rough quickly, though There's very little of the lake that's more than a mile from shore.  If the wind is up. one can kayak north from the campground for several miles of flat water that's not much wider than the old river channel.

Because most of the lake is rather shallow, it doesn't have a good cold-water fishery; it doesn't stratify in summer so forms no layer beneath which the temperature is trout friendly.   It's more of a pickerel pond.  Also, the clearing for the impoundment was less than thorough and did not include stump removal.  It's a wonderful place to collect driftwood but that and those stumps create hazards for motorboats, especially larger ones - good place to remove the lower housing of one's outboard.  Those two facets send most trout/salmon anglers and water skiers elsewhere, leaving the water to canoers and kayakers. 

• Like 1

This site should get you to their website. 
www.gopinescamping.com
I know no details about the campground itself, but it's in a lovely spot on one of Maine's truly unique lakes.  Flagstaff is the state's 4th largest lake and was created by Long Falls Dam at its east end.  The impoundment erased over 20 miles of the North Branch of the Dead River and began filling in 1950.  Because of several reasons, this huge lake is nearly ideal for people-powered watercraft, though its size and the (gorgeous) Bigelow Range to its south means water can get rough quickly, though There's very little of the lake that's more than a mile from shore.  If the wind is up. one can kayak north from the campground for several miles of flat water that's not much wider than the old river channel.
Because most of the lake is rather shallow, it doesn't have a good cold-water fishery; it doesn't stratify in summer so forms no layer beneath which the temperature is trout friendly.   It's more of a pickerel pond.  Also, the clearing for the impoundment was less than thorough and did not include stump removal.  It's a wonderful place to collect driftwood but that and those stumps create hazards for motorboats, especially larger ones - good place to remove the lower housing of one's outboard.  Those two facets send most trout/salmon anglers and water skiers elsewhere, leaving the water to canoers and kayakers. 
Don't want to derail the thread, but thanks! I visited their website but couldn't find an online reservation system so didn't know their availability.

... my parents had a beautiful house on the Canadian side of east grand lake. Could see the bottom on 25-30 feet of water like a pool. I miss it, and long for good northern lakes.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Angus said:

try this too...

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parksearch/PropertyGuides/PDF_GUIDE/bigelow-preserve-flagstaff-lake.pdf

I also have friends who shore camp on Lower and Upper Richardson lakes and believe that offers similar experience.

I assume they go thru South Arm Camps.  Disclosure:  I worked as a forester for Public Lands for 33 years 1985-2021, with a 3-year gap in the 90s when I was with Maine Forest Service and have spent lots of time on BPL's Richardson Unit, which includes the east shore of Upper Richardson and much of Lower.  (And staying in the Rangeley area, I'm very happy that Saddleback has come back to life though arthritic knees preclude my skiing.  Its NW aspect should give it Maine's best upslope and retention.)

Perhaps if we wish to continue this discussion, it should move to the banter thread?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

(And staying in the Rangeley area, I'm very happy that Saddleback has come back to life though arthritic knees preclude my skiing.  Its NW aspect should give it Maine's best upslope and retention.)

I don't think even the most diehard Sugarloafer would argue that Saddleback gets the best snow and has better retention than Sugarloaf. They are reporting something like 30-40" more snow for the season than Sugarloaf. Of course, any reported snow falls on a ski mountain is subject to review! I think the base lodge at Saddleback is advertised to be around 2,400' - Sugarloaf's base area is probably 1,600'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Angus said:

I don't think even the most diehard Sugarloafer would argue that Saddleback gets the best snow and has better retention than Sugarloaf. They are reporting something like 30-40" more snow for the season than Sugarloaf. Of course, any reported snow falls on a ski mountain is subject to review! I think the base lodge at Saddleback is advertised to be around 2,400' - Sugarloaf's base area is probably 1,600'.

Google Earth has the base lodge at ~2,450', and 300' higher than where the lowest lift starts.  Summit lift unloads right around 4000, at least in GE's 2018 imagery.  I doubt the new owners' improvements have changed that.

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

What do we think about Jay on Wednesday? I still have my Indy passes for there. 

I’ll be back up Tmrw night and I’ll let you know how Tuesday goes.  There’s still snow in the upper glades so I bet 4-6 of wet snow followed by the back end upslope will be enough…wind might be issue though.  Mets would know better on specific numbers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I’ll be back up Tmrw night and I’ll let you know how Tuesday goes.  There’s still snow in the upper glades so I bet 4-6 of wet snow followed by the back end upslope will be enough…wind might be issue though.  Mets would know better on specific numbers.

I like 3-6” for N.Greens early Tuesday morning with the warm conveyor belt lifting through… then dry slot, rain/mixed and some mid/30s dripping.  Ending with 1-2”… 4-8” above 1500ft with mix/mild in the middle.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

You going to hike it or coming up here?

Going to Long Island Wednesday morning ugh, ha.

Man what a day today… they let employees ski while Patrol does hill clean up.  Did a full overnight groom and it’s like Yellowstone Club out here.  Employees only and Quad spinning with perfect corn.

1893C513-580C-41D5-8B52-3BDEE5D459CE.thumb.jpeg.2ff0009a53d32d1d3524fed0f2a35eae.jpeg

13C8D3CF-4498-413A-92E9-9960F112AF2E.thumb.jpeg.e3e65b73410f4c25cb4ab87eb2b05026.jpeg

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

Sugarbush was interesting today.  Snow was actually a lot better down low. Jay tomorrow. 

2F29DF51-CF33-4FD3-B477-91EC1F10E4B8.jpeg

C03FC2B4-8695-4966-90CB-EFAD12094FA4.jpeg

Wind may be an issue tmrw…..snow will not.  It’s dumping again and the upslope is just getting started.  Timbuktu, Haynes, and the stuff you hiked to on tramside off the Bonnie had the best snow.

Just now, bwt3650 said:

Wind may be an issue tmrw…..snow will not.  It’s dumping again and the upslope is just getting started.  Timbuktu, Haynes, and the stuff you hiked to on tramside off the Bonnie had the best snow.

Gahhh, I'd definitely take a personal day and head up there (either today or tomorrow, or both) except for taking the next 3 days off to head to Long Island.  Radar looks healthy.  Any time 30dbz pixels are flaring up over Mansfield (and west side) and points north, it means the upslope is steady precip over the mountains.  Jay Peak is always too far away, beam too high, in these situations to "see" exactly what's happening up there but if radar has this signature along the northern western slopes, Jay Peak is getting crushed.

Good moisture feed getting wrung out.  These echoes are landing downstream in the flow.

958689357_April19915pm.gif.d222f6510b1f61f5ad7baa9b65e05d4e.gif