• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Catamount closed for season. Berkshire East is ok.  Many dirt spots and rocks. Still a solid base that they may be able to move around.  Comp, cloud, Umass, grizzly are still decent. And more importantly the base of the mountain seems fine for now.  They are going to try hard to open next weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a great day yesterday at Stratton. What you expect for a warm April day. Wait it’s March. 
I can’t see the southern resorts having much more then a few trails open next weekend. Today’s things were getting dicey with water bars everywhere, mud and dirt sections and little natural left except deep shade areas.  The pic is at the summit of ursa, not what you want to see 

589ED87C-9556-45D7-82FF-60262D87CF90.jpeg

7 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Catamount closed for season. Berkshire East is ok.  Many dirt spots and rocks. Still a solid base that they may be able to move around.  Comp, cloud, Umass, grizzly are still decent. And more importantly the base of the mountain seems fine for now.  They are going to try hard to open next weekend. 

Sunday is the big cardboard sled race!  I took this year off from skiing to rehab my leg but we need to gtg next year!   (or before that!)

• Like 1

Jay today…

the bad…most natural trails are done; some are very done and have streams where the snow was a week ago.  It was misty and wet until the changeover around 3 and there is standing water near the lift loads

the good…snowmaking trails are soft and there is full coverage.  Baring another absolute torch stretch like the last four days, they will make it into April and jet and Haynes should go til may.  There are some very skiable glades with good coverage, especially up top.  It’s snowing now and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 4 spot by tomorrow and what’s out there should hold through this week.  And the mountain is empty, so zero lines anywhere…

best part…with soft snow and an empty mountain, my son was able to conquer his first black glades today.  He couldn’t have been more excited today, even in absolute shit conditions.  One advantage of the soft slow snow is it makes some harder pitches and woods within reach for them and builds some confidence.  Overall, great day.

4A357DA6-D34F-4D62-AA89-4A979652A39B.jpeg

• Like 4

Windham was great yesterday, but looked more like early April. Hero snow! Heck, even the ice was grippy!! No lines. Just wish there were more bumps. I actually love dodging the bare patches. Makes for a fun obstacle course kind of feel. I think next weekend will be it for them. Wonder how late Killington will make it this year?

8 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Windham was great yesterday, but looked more like early April. Hero snow! Heck, even the ice was grippy!! No lines. Just wish there were more bumps. I actually love dodging the bare patches. Makes for a fun obstacle course kind of feel. I think next weekend will be it for them. Wonder how late Killington will make it this year?

It was surprisingly good yesterday here too.  That couple inches led to some nice packed powder spots believe it or not and there was some good corn out there…even in the glades the slush harden up just the right amount to fill in the gaps without being a skating rink…

k-mart still blowing Superstar like they are heading for June, but I hear those piles aren’t what they usually are.  I guess we hope for mid may and anything beyond is gravy.

skied at Sugarloaf on Saturday. I plan to go up to reggaefest in two weeks given I bought a 5 ticket pass and yesterday was only day one.

I left feeling better about the skiing in two weeks. Talking to folks, Sugarloaf really made a lot of snow this season and the snowmaking trails are in good shape. Unless they get an epic early april, the majority of natural trails are done - upper bubblecuffer and winters way were closed but looked like they could be skied gingerly if soft but who knows what lurked underneath the 1-2" of sleet that fell Friday.

The NorAm/US nationals are being held right now on the mountain and I rode up with a # of coaches and skiers and the crappy winter was a big topic of conversation. It was interesting that one skier who told me he grew up skiing at Sugarbush said SLoaf had way more snow on their trails than any place in VT which surprised me.

With that said, Sugarloaf didn't get a hard freeze Friday night and the day broke with partly cloudy skies. The skiing was way better than I expected. By mid-day though, it had clouded back up and although the temps didn't really drop, we got periods of snow as well as a few raindrops in the afternoon. There is a lot of boilerplate ice lurking under the snow and by day end with snow being pushed aside made for some interesting skiing on dull edges and tired legs on the steeper terrain.

Have not been to SLoaf since 2018 and again was reminded of how big the area is compared to other resorts here in the east.

Today had a great vibe. It was a good one out in the Northern Greens.  These mountains do surprise powder days better than anyone else in the northeast. No week long Winter Storm Watch/Warning hype, just a chance of snow showers that led to one of the best mornings in weeks.  I hate boasting about it, but it's hard to not mention... the local ski areas around here experience the most frequent fresh snow days of the region.  Today was another one of those.

277169110_10104759887209740_205589899800

277245349_10104759887159840_883672175159

276256392_10104759887124910_802931459653

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My brother is at Killington today and he said they are blowing snow on Superstar. 
Lol

Yeah I heard there was some blowback as the Spring Pass went up $100 and the snow wasn’t anywhere as deep as it usually is… so to correctly combat that they went on a weeklong assault of Superstar.  Love to see it.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Went up to $100 or went up $100 from the prior price?

Went up $100 from previous price.  It’s still a great deal but got some folks going.  Skiers complain that it’s too crowded but then complain when it gets more expensive too.  Supply and demand is interesting.

41 minutes ago, radarman said:

Not just Superstar either... the guns were going on Snowden yesterday too.   Superstar was unskiable yesterday, even Skyelark was very low vis from the wind.  Nice job by them. 

I saw Hunter and Okemo were making snow in the VR family too.  Maybe they thought they couldn’t make their scheduled closings?

We’ve always been a firm third Sunday in April closure. If Mtn Ops had it their way we’d close on April 17 and the snow would be completely gone a week later so they can start off-season work lol.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I saw Hunter and Okemo were making snow in the VR family too.  Maybe they thought they couldn’t make their scheduled closings?

We’ve always been a firm third Sunday in April closure. If Mtn Ops had it their way we’d close on April 17 and the snow would be completely gone a week later so they can start off-season work lol.

Killington is knocking down their main lodge and parking apparently is extremely limited over there.  I'm sure the construction contractors would rather have the ski crowd be gone asap.  Not really sure what they're going to do once Bear Mt lodge closes for the season.   I've always been partial to the Bear Mt lodge anyway.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Went up $100 from previous price.  It’s still a great deal but got some folks going.  Skiers complain that it’s too crowded but then complain when it gets more expensive too.  Supply and demand is interesting.

What do you get with the spring pass? Skiing is getting rather expensive. I’ve learned that very few people up here north of the Whites actually ski, to my surprise. They all ride used snow machines instead. Price must have something to do with it. It’s become a very expensive sport. 

delayed our start from metrowest this am, chose to pass WV on 93 due to windholds and was on the peabody lift at cannon by 10:15. Mostly cloudy with intermittent sun until around noon and then full on sunshine until we stopped about 2:15ish. Pretty tough conditions but it was still skiing. The top of the mountain was very icy and cold - although we had the opportunity to ski upper cannon right after it opened and there was fresh snow on the trail from the night before - no evidence anywhere else. We ended the day with a few runs on the zoomer lift - by then the snow had softened up and was a lot of fun. As I said to my son, it reminded me of why spring skiing is so fun. I usually ski cannon after they have closed in late April, early may and able to go top to bottom with very minimal walking - that won't be the case this year - they have little base and suspect it will go fast.

3 minutes ago, Angus said:

delayed our start from metrowest this am, chose to pass WV on 93 due to windholds and was on the peabody lift at cannon by 10:15. Mostly cloudy with intermittent sun until around noon and then full on sunshine until we stopped about 2:15ish. Pretty tough conditions but it was still skiing. The top of the mountain was very icy and cold - although we had the opportunity to ski upper cannon right after it opened and there was fresh snow on the trail from the night before - no evidence anywhere else. We ended the day with a few runs on the zoomer lift - by then the snow had softened up and was a lot of fun. As I said to my son, it reminded me of why spring skiing is so fun. I usually ski cannon after they have closed in late April, early may and able to go top to bottom with very minimal walking - that won't be the case this year - they have little base and suspect it will go fast.

I haven't been to Cannon lately. I figured it was a horror show over there since mid-Feb given the weather. I get enough of that kind of "excitement" these days at Wildcat. Glad you had a decent outing.

Today featured everything... powder, packed powder, sun-baked powder, wind-scoured hardpack ice, spring corn snow, even some borderline slush at the base.

Mansfield's sporting a snow depth a few inches below 5 feet at the Stake.  There's been spring melt, but the snowfall has kept pace.  The 16" cycle, then a rainer, followed by another 6" last night, plus the random inch.  The mountains quietly adding two feet to the cumulative total the past couple of weeks.

1 PM today, at 2,500ft (mid-slopes) in search of and finding dry powder while southerly facing slopes get smoked by the April sun.

277529960_10104763036643250_106196414864

277559499_10104763070859680_633033956403

Last weekend for the Gondola as usual in early April.  Will still be able to access the lower 1,000 vertical feet from Rim Rock off the Quad.  Been a fun spring so far to be honest.  Snowfall has surprised.  Events finally producing some fun snows for those still skiing.

277731615_10104763036273990_767225716109

• Like 1