29 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

ABasinc536840f37da75dcbee99e7810602c75.jpg
82e793c174e54a74f1c83161667e7a22.jpg
05b5eee05c2fe41147044d109d8c758a.jpg
69d077522946dc1219206b33cd4b3699.jpg
2b6f3dc680f3c9c57114e07080e2d966.jpg
506aca9301bebc2c312caadc2697f4fe.jpg
117b48b234a01f113451c6c537400604.jpg

The vibe at Abasin is something else. That place is special and the terrain is awesome. I can’t imagine Hitting it on a powder day. My friend moved out to CO recently and has been liking winter park more and more as well. He rates it highly. 

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

Loved Big Sky.  Went in 2018.  I heard they are charging extra for the tram now?  Hate that idea!  Is it true?

It is true. $80 I believe it was. Biggest reason, trying to keep the jokers off of it. Not meant for most.

Skied Hunter today for the first time this season (I’m an Indy pass holder) for “social reasons.” I know the mountain well-as I’ve been a pass holder there for two seasons previously-yet still came away not wanting to ski there again.

The quality of skier seemed even worse than usual (to the point of being nervous I was going to get hit on the slopes-can’t imagine what a non-expert would think), the grooming/surface management terrible (have they ever heard of tilling a slope?), and finally, key snowmaking terrain was closed. It’s the first weekend of March and K-27, Clair’s, and Racer’s Edge all closed… If Hunter doesn’t have its best expert terrain open, I’m not sure I understand the value proposition over Windham, Belleayre, and Plattekill. 

Further evidence that Vail=Fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bch2014 said:

Skied Hunter today for the first time this season (I’m an Indy pass holder) for “social reasons.” I know the mountain well-as I’ve been a pass holder there for two seasons previously-yet still came away not wanting to ski there again.

The quality of skier seemed even worse than usual (to the point of being nervous I was going to get hit on the slopes-can’t imagine what a non-expert would think), the grooming/surface management terrible (have they ever heard of tilling a slope?), and finally, key snowmaking terrain was closed. It’s the first weekend of March and K-27, Clair’s, and Racer’s Edge all closed… If Hunter doesn’t have its best expert terrain open, I’m not sure I understand the value proposition over Windham, Belleayre, and Plattekill. 

Further evidence that Vail=Fail.

The more I visit other mountains the more I keep coming back to BW. I never have a bad day there but at other places it can be bad or good. All depends on what you like. I know the feeling that you could get hit. I skied Cranmore today and it was full of the usual lower intermediate skill teenagers who go way too fast and are clearly unable to control  their direction or speed. Basically human cannonballs. That’s never fun to deal with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Hunter, Wildcat and Attitash have not been well served by Vail ownership.  At all. 

The Peak Resort's integration went differently than Stowe/Okemo/Sunapee.  The Stowe/Okemo ones retained the vast majority of operations staff and people who make things "go"... institutional knowledge matters. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The Peak Resort's integration went differently than Stowe/Okemo/Sunapee.  The Stowe/Okemo ones retained the vast majority of operations staff and people who make things "go"... institutional knowledge matters. 

OK. I figured it must’ve been something like that because I hear very few complaints about Stowe and Okemo.

6 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

OK. I figured it must’ve been something like that because I hear very few complaints about Stowe and Okemo.

Just in general, if you have new leaders and a loss of institutional knowledge at a business, you can run into some challenges and not know how to immediately solve them with the resources you have at hand.  Throw in two poor winters, a pandemic, large-scale staffing issues in the service industry (plus a vaccine mandate to work)... it's a tough time to be thrown into that.  In order to survive the past couple years required a knowledgeable team in the macro and micro senses.  I think things would have been done a bit differently in hindsight for some acquisitions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

The loaf saturday was fantastic.  Conditions got variable in the afternoon but the morning was spectacular.  

Laps of Gondi line. (My favorite trail in New England)

SL is often king of spring in the northeast. 
in the spring I’m a big fan of narrow gauge and haulback. 

3 hours ago, amarshall said:

Laps of Gondi line. (My favorite trail in New England)

That's funny because I have the opposite reaction, it's too steep and wide - too much speed and the crowd it attracts. Much prefer Bubblecuffer, Winter's Way or even White Nitro (and the terrain in between them)to Gondi Line. I think I still have nightmares of hitting the now dismantled mid-station. I still have my 5 ticket pack to Boyne's three NE ski areas that I'm planning to use at SLoaf over the next 5-6 weeks.

10 hours ago, Angus said:

That's funny because I have the opposite reaction, it's too steep and wide - too much speed and the crowd it attracts. Much prefer Bubblecuffer, Winter's Way or even White Nitro (and the terrain in between them)to Gondi Line. I think I still have nightmares of hitting the now dismantled mid-station. I still have my 5 ticket pack to Boyne's three NE ski areas that I'm planning to use at SLoaf over the next 5-6 weeks.

Ha I was arguing with my watch . No way that was only 48 mph.  Had to be 50 plus. 

12 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

SL is often king of spring in the northeast. 
in the spring I’m a big fan of narrow gauge and haulback. 

Last first week of April I did a Maine trip and the difference between Sunday River and sugar loaf was insane. SR was so melted out they really should have been closed. While SL still had plenty of base. A little extra latitude and elevation made the difference. 

CCB5B782-DD7A-4A4D-B77A-5647E24AACBE.jpeg

Drove up to Waterville Valley yesterday, they reported 2-4" new, not sure about that but it really improved the conditions according to folks who had skied Wednesday. First time since the new tbar at top of mountain - big win as well as the new ski pod - ho hum. WV is first big mountain I skied as a kid in mid-70s, I rarely go back. When I do, I am always so disappointed that True Grit is not top to bottom VW bug sized bumps like I remember!

Good day, lots of vertical.

1 minute ago, PowderBeard said:

@radarman or anyone else heading to Berkshire East tomorrow? I should be there around mid-day.

I just have a weekday pass, so normally I skin on weekends, but might make an exception tomorrow.   Debating between that and using an unrestricted KTicket voucher at Killington.  I'll PM you if I'll do wind up in Charlemont.

• Like 1

Before the snow, some gratitude for the local snow surfaces team and all groomers in the east.  What a difficult 7-10 day stretch in a difficult winter.  They have done what the institutional knowledge and machine can do to bring a skiable surface amid very unfavorable snowpack quality and depth.

275301712_10104750729721420_431959740706

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What a great day at Saddleback. Rain the entire way from Portland to the parking lot this morning. My friend who'd agreed to com along last night was very skeptical of my 'snow all day' guarantee - and so was I! Booted up in a lodge for the first time since covid and walking outside, rain turned to snow! It pounded snow all day and after lunch ski patrol started dropping ropes to closed runs and glades. Estimating 10" had fallen in the parking lot when we left just past 4. Just a ton of fun all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1