• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Windham was great today. Most crowded I’ve ever seen it. Waited about 10 min on average. East chair was being loaded every other chair due to mechanical issues. 9” of snowman snow that made a great base. Moguls everywhere, even in places on the beginner trails! Was fun watching beginners try to ski the bumps lol. Snowmaking bases were deep! Almost fully open. Great day. Festive feel.

• Like 1

Was thinking about driving up to Mount Snow today but never did. Will be there next weekend can’t wait. Gore seemed to make out really well. They’re reporting “11+“ but there are three reports on the PNS of 13, 13.7 and 16 all right near gore at lower elevations. I have a very difficult time believing up near the summit at 3600 only had 11. I think they only measure at the base throw out a ballpark number and really aren’t precise with measuring like a lot of these other resorts such as Stowe. Anyways awesome base building storm that spread the love well for ski country. 

Berkshire East was fantastic early this morning.  Skinned up at 7:15, got first tracks down Umass.  Managed a bunch runs before taking a long break around 11.  I even taught a couple lessons in the afternoon.  Several of my favored tree shots were very skiable on the fat skis.  This snow is the base we really need! 

B38E3C69-B6B5-4891-98AF-EFA0CBDA6E5E.jpeg

9D295E54-EDF9-409B-BD25-A047CD86251D.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Heading up to Stowe tomorrow to harvest some of the scraps from Monday, hoping the 12z RGEM scores a coup with this incoming clipper!

There are pockets out there for sure.  Almost everything is open now.  That storm was just what we needed.

Funny thing I notice too… parking lot was packed but the Quad was ski on even with Gondola on wind hold today.  Everyone goes into the woods and skis tougher terrain which makes for longer laps.  Spreads bodies out on the hill while they slowly wander in the woods and bumps, natural snow stuff.  Much different than when everyone is just fast cruising firm groomers and recycling back to the lift line after a 4 minute run down.  Now runs take 20 minutes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

There are pockets out there for sure.  Almost everything is open now.  That storm was just what we needed.

Funny thing I notice too… parking lot was packed but the Quad was ski on even with Gondola on wind hold today.  Everyone goes into the woods and skis tougher terrain which makes for longer laps.  Spreads bodies out on the hill while they slowly wander in the woods and bumps, natural snow stuff.  Much different than when everyone is just fast cruising firm groomers and recycling back to the lift line after a 4 minute run down.  Now runs take 20 minutes.

Great to hear! I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that the website indicated that ropes had been dropped on Goat this morning. Between the majority of the Front 4 being opened, and MRG dropping 99% of their ropes, it seems like it's officially game on in the Northern Greens! (Though I suspect my bases may disagree with me by this time tomorrow)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Best day of the season today hands down at Stratton. 10” of low ratio stuff yesterday and 4” of Champaign powder overnight. That top powder layer was incredible, not the kind of setup southern Vermont sees often. Glades are good too go!   

What did they have open for trees?  Stratton has very underrated glades that aren't skied very much. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Heading to Berkie now. Excited to see how its looking. 

Heard the cord was amazing this morning.  Yesterday heard the woods were a bit crusty, but maybe some of it has been skied in by now.  East Glade got a lot of traffic.  Not sure I'd try Tomahawk or Beast yet.

4 minutes ago, radarman said:

Heard the cord was amazing this morning.  Yesterday heard the woods were a bit crusty, but maybe some of it has been skied in by now.  East Glade got a lot of traffic.  Not sure I'd try Tomahawk or Beast yet.

The lower angle stuff is better for sure.  My son did ski Beast and said it was fun.  He is 13 so there's that. 

8 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

The lower angle stuff is better for sure.  My son did ski Beast and said it was fun.  He is 13 so there's that. 

My young kids have fun on snow conditions that I find pretty appalling myself. LOL

Kids are just great like that. I was that way too back in the day. Just went out and skied and didn't even think about the conditions. Ski in the rain, ice, whatever.

Adults are so picky.

My take on kids versus adults - setting aside weather, is adults are more particular about snow conditions b/c a) it hurts a lot more when they fall and bad outcomes like injury are more likely and b) many kids bear no cost relative to their equipment so they don't seem to mind skiing across rocks and stumps and ruining their bases. I hate skiing steep, tight NE glades without adequate snow because besides the normal obstacles, you are also trying to navigate around season ending stumps and lots of exposed rocks and ledge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Angus said:

My take on kids versus adults - setting aside weather, is adults are more particular about snow conditions b/c a) it hurts a lot more when they fall and bad outcomes like injury are more likely and b) many kids bear no cost relative to their equipment so they don't seem to mind skiing across rocks and stumps and ruining their bases. I hate skiing steep, tight NE glades without adequate snow because besides the normal obstacles, you are also trying to navigate around season ending stumps and lots of exposed rocks and ledge.

I'm willing to ski the woods til the bitter end in the spring when it's pretty much what you see is what you get in there.  Early season I've definitely mellowed but still admire all the intrepid youngsters.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, radarman said:

I'm willing to ski the woods til the bitter end in the spring when it's pretty much what you see is what you get in there.  Early season I've definitely mellowed but still admire all the intrepid youngsters.  

Yeah that’s been my progression. I’m tentative in the woods right now.  Slow, pick your spots.  The spring snowpack is so much better for low depth woods as you are often on top of the snow not in it.  Also at this stage of life the financial implications of shutting on a couch for weeks all maimed aren’t as appealing as when I was in college or in my 20s.

A great local skier saw her season end in the woods during this storm, with 3 fractures and 2 surgeries needed from a hidden snow snake.  It’s sobering.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

My young kids have fun on snow conditions that I find pretty appalling myself. LOL

Kids are just great like that. I was that way too back in the day. Just went out and skied and didn't even think about the conditions. Ski in the rain, ice, whatever.

Adults are so picky.

Kids bounce too when they fall, ha.  I mean you hear stories of kids falling off chairlifts at ski areas at heights that you assume might be critical or even fatal but then you hear they skied away from it.  Adults fall 30 feet to flat and they are getting air lifted out.

Kids bounce too when they fall, ha.  I mean you hear stories of kids falling off chairlifts at ski areas at heights that you assume might be critical or even fatal but then you hear they skied away from it.  Adults fall 30 feet to flat and they are getting air lifted out.

30ft.? I’d need airlifted after falling 10’ lol.

Berkie was fun this afternoon. Temps got into the low 40s so everything softened up around 2pm. East Glades, Horace's Grove, bike paths off Outback, and the unmarked stuff off Roy/Roger's were pretty fun. Tomahawk was a bit boney, only did it once. Could barely get an edge into the bumps on Liftline but it softened up after some sun and traffic. The Jug was fantastic around 3pm, the sun turned it into mashed potatoes. Route of the day was definitely Jug - Chief bumps - over to ungroomed side of Lower Cloud which I did 2-3 times.  Could really zip then launch off some spots. I forgot how rough the landing was off the concrete piling at the top of Cloud if you hit it straight on, need to go off the corners. Just a small 4-6" event and all the ledges in the woods will be game on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I fell 30 feet into a Ravine hit rocks dumped under a stream and then skied out after climbing out. I was 53. Lol granted I collapsed in the condo after.

Just a phenomenal day at Stowe. Nosedive was smooth and buttery, fantastic conditions to open up the throttle and dig into high speed GS turns at the top of the main pitch as the trail widens. Goat was excellent between the Liftline entry and Midway, as was the entirety of Starr. Woods were also good, I encountered some thin spots that necessitated creative route finding in the tight softwood lines at the top of Tres Amigos as one normally does in that area, but overall coverage was solid. Southwest winds were howling and Forerunner went on hold around 1pm, but still managed to grab 12 hot laps there before heading to Gondi. Chin Clip was very interesting, with aspects that were more exposed to the wind being stripped down to blue ice, but right around the corner would be powdery bumps. Kept me on my toes.

The Lookout Double opened in relief of the Forerunner. I had never seen that chair running before, let alone ride it, so it was a nice to experience the leisurely 15 minute jaunt up the mountain. Love those old school lifts, hope they don't touch it anytime soon.

In all, Stowe definitely delivered. I always walk away impressed with the vertical feet one can accumulate there over the course of a day. 2k per run off both Forerunner and the Gondola is nothing to sneeze at. As discussed earlier in this thread, its pretty difficult to find lappable lifts with vertical as significant as that. Once word gets out that conditions are as good as they are right now, I expect this weekend to be a zoo pretty much everywhere.

I fell 30 feet into a Ravine hit rocks dumped under a stream and then skied out after climbing out. I was 53. Lol granted I collapsed in the condo after.
Yeah, that seemed scary when I read about it and saw the pics.

I remember tequila Barry wiping out into a hydrant. He had an ugly bump.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

A great local skier saw her season end in the woods during this storm, with 3 fractures and 2 surgeries needed from a hidden snow snake.  It’s sobering.

Hate to hear that.

Stowe Mtn Rescue had a busy few days. Perhaps a different incident but I saw the predictable collection of emergency vehicles at the end of 108 on Tuesday.  I'm definitely treading lightly and keeping it low angle at the moment.

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s been my progression. I’m tentative in the woods right now.  Slow, pick your spots.  The spring snowpack is so much better for low depth woods as you are often on top of the snow not in it.  Also at this stage of life the financial implications of shutting on a couch for weeks all maimed aren’t as appealing as when I was in college or in my 20s.

Sad to hear. Things happen and change too quickly. The incident at MRG a couple seasons ago when the young man was paralyzed really made me slow down in the woods in the early season. Freaked me right out. I look back and have definitely been beyond lucky. 

I saw on TGR there have multiple rescues that past few days.

Maybe it is because I don't ski the larger areas on weekends but I don't think people on their phones has ever been a real problem when waiting for a lift. The tin-foil hat side of me thinks it's because there are more pictures of lines than awesome conditions this season. 

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-plan-to-reduce-lift-lines-includes-phone-free-zones/