Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

22 hours ago, tunafish said:

greetings, ski thread.

I get out skiing once every few years.  My buddy is having his bachelor party at Sugarloaf in March.  From years past I seem to recall a website for discounted lift tickets to purchase in advance, but can't recall.

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Liftopia is still around they only have Saddleback on there last time I checked. (Nice side trip from the loaf by the way)  I'm not aware of any discounts to Sugarloaf these days.  They are owned by a fairly large resort company, Boyne. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got back on the skis today at the local hill (Wachusett).  They had maybe 6" seasonal prior today, so it had been pretty icy manmade stuff. This storm added 6" of powder that skied really nicely, alternating between chalky and light stuff).  It had been a while since I had skied while snow was falling.  No wind either for much of the day

• Like 2

We skied Cannon today. The layer of powder/mashed potatoes covered up some of the ice so it was workable. Back to BW on Monday. No one in NH can beat their conditions, IMO. I keep trying these other places and have a good time but our home mountain is BW for sure. They need to get some steeper terrain and glades open though. Getting a little bored just racing my kids on groomers. LOL

Wildcat still has very little open. I haven't gone there yet. Waiting until they get a real snowstorm. Their manmade ribbon of death is not compelling.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Skied Shawnee Peak tonight for a couple of hours. Very solid base with probably 4” of snow on top. Was fun… Lots of yahoos out there though. 

Yeah the yahoos have been out all week. Saw some dudes dressed in animal pajamas goofing off. Kind of a played out thing. LOL

College break I assume?

I saw like 10 dudes in a BW gondola car singing university fight songs this week. Whole thing was shaking.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

We skied Cannon today. The layer of powder/mashed potatoes covered up some of the ice so it was workable. Back to BW on Monday. No one in NH can beat their conditions, IMO. I keep trying these other places and have a good time but our home mountain is BW for sure. They need to get some steeper terrain and glades open though. Getting a little bored just racing my kids on groomers. LOL

Wildcat still has very little open. I haven't gone there yet. Waiting until they get a real snowstorm. Their manmade ribbon of death is not compelling.

BW has really invested in snowmaking, grooming, infrastructure etc.  a really prime resort that is sort of a sleeper.  Great location

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Not sure how far of a trip it is for you but when they get some natural Black Mountain of Maine has some pretty amazing glades. Black Mountain NH has some pretty under rated terrain as well. Obviously both are smaller and have older lifts but it keeps the crowds away. And tickets are really cheap. I think NoBoundaries is doing a "free day" at BMOM. 

Black Trail Map.jpg

TrailMap2020

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Not sure how far of a trip it is for you but when they get some natural Black Mountain of Maine has some pretty amazing glades. Black Mountain NH has some pretty under rated terrain as well. Obviously both are smaller and have older lifts but it keeps the crowds away. And tickets are really cheap. I think NoBoundaries is doing a "free day" at BMOM. 

Black Trail Map.jpg

TrailMap2020

Black Mountain NH isn't too far away. 40 mins or so.

I hadn't checked their website in a while, looks like they finally got some terrain open.

38 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The Vail resorts in NH are a mess.

Here is my prediction. PF’s big break will be that he gets sent in to straighten them out. It will be tough for him to leave his beloved Mansfield but the allure of advancing his career will be too much. Soon we we will be reading posts from him reminiscing about upslope and moose farts. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

https://t.co/1EgfoHKhJX

“Experience of a lifetime” at Wildcat.

Hard to see how the lift could have injured him if everyone else was fine.

Been a lot of college and HS-aged yahoos at the ski places the last several days. I assume the snow in Southie got them all fired up to hit the slopes.

I would rule out hormonal dumb young adult syndrome first before I blame the lift.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Been a lot of college and HS-aged yahoos at the ski places the last several days. I assume the snow in Southie got them all fired up to hit the slopes.

I would rule out hormonal dumb young adult syndrome first before I blame the lift.

Snow in the cities is nearly as valuable as snow on the slopes. It’s probably better nowadays with web cams and easier communication but it seems like a lot of people don’t think the can ski if they don’t see snow in their backyard. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Can't compete with this level of incompetence 

The craziest part is the the ski patrol guys nonchalantly standing around chatting while that poor dude is blasted with icy water and then appears to be a frozen corpse hanging half off the chair for several minutes. No one seems to too concerned.

11 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Black Trail Map.jpg

TrailMap2020

I went there with a UVM class visiting community ski areas in 2003….back then it was just the T-bar which was an awesome vibe and they were cutting trails above for a new lift.  The outlook was good then and it is now.  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:49 PM, PhineasC said:

I definitely think that the #1 in the East for snow badge is well deserved. The terrain is not the best, but I have yet to find more consistently good conditions anywhere else 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alex said:

I definitely think that the #1 in the East for snow badge is well deserved. The terrain is not the best, but I have yet to find more consistently good conditions anywhere else 

I know it was my home mountain but the grooming and snow making at SR was top notch as well. They were the best at letting a mountain dry out for a day after rain and getting it in great shape quickly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Actually the chair fell off the lift with a snowboarder on it

20220108_231125.jpg

• Sad 1