Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

On 12/31/2021 at 9:09 AM, MRVexpat said:

Up in the NEK. Skinned up Burke yesterday and things looked and skied decently well! Natural trails looked like they could even be carefully navigated up high. First time making turns on this hill and shocked at the minimal crowds this time of year. 

Otherwise it's definitely a wintry look around here. 6-8" pack when we got here a few days ago has condensed a little bit. 

Awesome. I need to get up there this year. NoBoundaries has super cheap tickets and it's not a bad drive up 91. 

Anyone heading to Berkie tomorrow if they open?

I’d think Berkshire East is closed the next couple days as well.  They need to maximize this cold window to blow like mad.  Not only do they need to resurface but they really should open some more terrain if they can.

Time to sacrifice a weenie to get this storm Friday to work out. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:28 AM, Angus said:

Vista Way is one of my absolute favorite trails in all of NE. Maybe a combination of the views and the terrain but it never gets old.

I saw it was open on the trail report and thought 'ouch' - there are a lot of rocks and given its exposure, lot of snow gets blown off especially on the right side. I've definitely hit a few things on it over the years!

100% agree. It's probably my favorite trail at Cannon. Definitely got to hug the skiers left when snow is scarce but trail is open.

Great thing about BW is one good snowstorm and they will be 90-95% open given there isn't a lot of rock and the slopes are relatively gentle. How much snow and ice is left in the woods and unopened trails. It must be pretty much boilerplate which is great if the next storm can adhere.  Skiing Cranmore with family on Saturday and hoping for a storm - I'm averting my eyes until we're closer to Friday. Also, planning to xc at jackson on Friday.

52 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I'd be too scared to stand where that guy is.

The irony is that’s probably the safest place on the slope now that the hill’s energy has been released.  There’s nothing trying to pull that top part down anymore, like the slope’s rubber band snapped and there’s zero tension.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The irony is that’s probably the safest place on the slope now that the hill’s energy has been released.  There’s nothing trying to pull that top part down anymore, like the slope’s rubber band snapped and there’s zero tension.

Yeah, well, more power to him, but I ain’t going anywhere near that wall of death.  Yikes.

• Haha 1

@powderfreak hope you can help me out for planning.  I’m very familiar with the local climo and what to expect from a typical upslope event at Stowe but less so Sugarbush. I know they do better than Killington south which miss out mostly on upslope but not as good as Stowe, Smuggs, and Jay. But how does it compare?  What is a reasonable expectation at Sugarbush when Stowe gets their typical 12” upslope events?   

Either way it will be at least a couple weeks before I head up. Going to snowshoe this weekend since they’re looking at 8”+ from tomorrow and most of New England hasn’t recovered from the last thaw/freeze yet.  I traded in my K2s and only have a pair of atomic access now. They handle everything pretty well except ice and I just don’t bother with it anymore. Rather save my $ and time for better conditions. 

Thanks for any inside info…

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@powderfreak hope you can help me out for planning.  I’m very familiar with the local climo and what to expect from a typical upslope event at Stowe but less so Sugarbush. I know they do better than Killington south which miss out mostly on upslope but not as good as Stowe, Smuggs, and Jay. But how does it compete?  What is a reasonable expectation at Sugarbush when Stowe gets their typical 12” upslope events?   

Either way it will be at least a couple weeks before I head up. Going to snowshoe this weekend since they’re looking at 8”+ from tomorrow and most of New England hasn’t recovered from the last thaw/freeze yet.  I traded in my K2s and ugly have a pair of atomic access now. They handle everything pretty well except ice and I just don’t bother with it anymore. Rather save my $ and time for better conditions. 

Don't come here now. More snowfall in MD. LOL

15 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@powderfreak hope you can help me out for planning.  I’m very familiar with the local climo and what to expect from a typical upslope event at Stowe but less so Sugarbush. I know they do better than Killington south which miss out mostly on upslope but not as good as Stowe, Smuggs, and Jay. But how does it compare?  What is a reasonable expectation at Sugarbush when Stowe gets their typical 12” upslope events?   

Either way it will be at least a couple weeks before I head up. Going to snowshoe this weekend since they’re looking at 8”+ from tomorrow and most of New England hasn’t recovered from the last thaw/freeze yet.  I traded in my K2s and only have a pair of atomic access now. They handle everything pretty well except ice and I just don’t bother with it anymore. Rather save my $ and time for better conditions. 

In my experience at sugarbush, while not entirely random, it's difficult to predict the outcome of a particular upslope event or period at any of the mountains you mentioned.  Surely Sugarbush averages less than the other mountains over the course of a season, but that doesnt mean that if Stowe gets 12", SB would get 6".  I've seen SB get a foot when Stowe got 2".   Beyond my understanding how or why this occurs. In my totally unscientific observation, SB does better when the wind is westerly as opposed to northwest, but I may be totally wrong about that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hitman said:

In my experience at sugarbush, while not entirely random, it's difficult to predict the outcome of a particular upslope event or period at any of the mountains you mentioned.  Surely Sugarbush averages less than the other mountains over the course of a season, but that doesnt mean that if Stowe gets 12", SB would get 6".  I've seen SB get a foot when Stowe got 2".   Beyond my understanding how or why this occurs. In my totally unscientific observation, SB does better when the wind is westerly as opposed to northwest, but I may be totally wrong about that. 

No that makes sense for 2 reasons.  The ridge sugarbush is on runs more N-S opposed to SW-NE and a NW wind is down sloping off the high peaks region of the Adirondacks. So a W wind would be more favorable.  

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

No that makes sense for 2 reasons.  The ridge sugarbush is on runs more N-S opposed to SW-NE and a NW wind is down sloping off the high peaks region of the Adirondacks. So a W wind would be more favorable.  

Looks like the high peaks are actually more due west of the Monroe skyline, so I would think a NW wind would actually avoid downsloping? In my experience a WNW wind is actually best on account of that N-S orientation you mentioned, depending on Froude #s. 

But yes, lots of moving parts to figure out something like that. In a classic NW flow setup with a froude around 1, it seems like Stowe generally does 50-100% better than SB. Definitely event dependent though.  

Weird area. 19" overnight and 27" in 24 hours in early December 2018(?), Stowe got about 5-6" and a total of about 10". I remember being torn between the two on my drive up and couldn't believe the SB report. A memorable one. Hiked over to Castlerock and ran into John Atkinson et al. doing photo shoots before it officially opened, there were 5-6' drifts on the waterbars of the Lift Line.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

• Like 5

greetings, ski thread.

I get out skiing once every few years.  My buddy is having his bachelor party at Sugarloaf in March.  From years past I seem to recall a website for discounted lift tickets to purchase in advance, but can't recall.

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.