Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

5 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Jay is in really good shape right now..tnrw should be good too.  With the Bonnie open, if you hike that little bit on northway to jfk, you’ll find all those glades on tramside basically untouched; just make sure you have a way to get back from tramside.  Saturday sucks because they were really getting there.

Every time we start really getting natural stuff in play (we opened some natural snow trails today that’ll be closed by Sat AM), it rains again.  Like someone said up thread, sounds like eastern skiing :lol:.

Just watched a shot movie on VT PBS about Bolton Valley. Ralph DesLauriers was saying they were supposed to open December 15, 1966 but there was no snow at all. He was having dinner with a local priest who said grace and mentioned they could really use some snow. He said it started snowing half an hour later and continued for something like 54 hours and dumped like 48”. They were able to open for Christmas and had a decent snow year after that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Event totals: 3.3” Snow/0.14” L.E.

We’ve had some flurries out there, but I think that’s the tail end of this system.  The next chance for snow appears to be tonight with a weak warm front.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 18.5 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

@J.Spin I thought of you while watching that Bolton Valley show. They devoted a fair bit to the back country part. 

Yeah, it sounds like a great piece - I know lots about the resort from being around and skiing there so much, but had never heard that story.  Such a cool story for a resort opening.  I'll have to see if I can catch the show.

23 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Jay is in really good shape right now..tnrw should be good too.  With the Bonnie open, if you hike that little bit on northway to jfk, you’ll find all those glades on tramside basically untouched; just make sure you have a way to get back from tramside.  Saturday sucks because they were really getting there.

Jay Is straight up awesome! Woods are pretty game on.  Thinking about tomorrow makes me sad. 

C8976E0F-A87A-4493-A833-EC0080C65FF9.jpeg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Cutter = Crickets. Pretty quiet in this thread lol. Oh well, things should be looking up soon. My son skied Copper yesterday and had a blast. They finally got enough snow to open about 1/2 the front side. He got to experience the I70 so tragic for the first time. Woot!!

Lol look at the snow texture around the Mansfield stake.  That’s all you need to know.  Firm and weird.

At least there’s something white still on the ground I guess.

B7770B1A-EE0F-41BC-AA3D-C02B6BC23972.thumb.jpeg.e9aea2a7aad2de497867f33e25f0967d.jpeg

And the texture today on RT 108 (closed) near the Stowe gate into Smugglers Notch at 1500ft.

83A1EE58-6425-413E-9FA0-12E5728041E9.thumb.jpeg.e0986e405d6b1788d67fa2bbc22ce884.jpeg

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Lol look at the snow texture around the Mansfield stake.  That’s all you need to know.  Firm and weird.

At least there’s something white still on the ground I guess.

B7770B1A-EE0F-41BC-AA3D-C02B6BC23972.thumb.jpeg.e9aea2a7aad2de497867f33e25f0967d.jpeg

And the texture today on RT 108 (closed) near the Stowe gate into Smugglers Notch at 1500ft.

83A1EE58-6425-413E-9FA0-12E5728041E9.thumb.jpeg.e0986e405d6b1788d67fa2bbc22ce884.jpeg

Looks allot like spring. Luckily good times on the way. Spending the day after to Christmas through New Years up in Vt. Very exiting!

Checking who got what this morning and K is either having a rare year or are measuring in centimeters. I've noticed a few times early in the season when the cams and chairs would show an inch or two and they reported 5 or 6". Season totals thus far:

Jay: 63"

K: 61"

Smuggs: 60"

Stowe: 60"

Sugarbush: 39"

Cannon: 36"

MRG: 20-32"

Burke: 21"

Okemo: 21"

Stratton: 19"

Mount Snow: 16"

Magic: 11"

Wildcat: 11"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Checking who got what this morning and K is either having a rare year or are measuring in centimeters. I've noticed a few times early in the season when the cams and chairs would show an inch or two and they reported 5 or 6". Season totals thus far:

Jay: 63"

K: 61"

Smuggs: 60"

Stowe: 60"

Sugarbush: 39"

Cannon: 36"

MRG: 20-32"

Burke: 21"

Okemo: 21"

Stratton: 19"

Mount Snow: 16"

Magic: 11"

Wildcat: 11"

Absolutely no shot K has 61 and Okemo 21 when they are only about 30 miles apart and in a very similar geographical area with similar weather. The reality is probably something like 40 and 30. I’ve noticed at Stratton the last 2 winters snow measuring has been conservative to almost under measuring. 

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Absolutely no shot K has 61 and Okemo 21 when they are only about 30 miles apart and in a very similar geographical area with similar weather. The reality is probably something like 40 and 30. I’ve noticed at Stratton the last 2 winters snow measuring has been conservative to almost under measuring. 

Yeah, I feel like this gets discussed at the start of every season. Chalk it up to a marketing ploy with the goal of capitalizing on that early season demand? 

I know we've also debated their seasonal snowfall #s as not lining up with others in the area. 

6 hours ago, Angus said:

i noticed Killington reported 11" this AM versus 6" for Okemo and the storm a few weeks ago Killington reported 19" not sure about Okemo but I bet that represents a bulk of delta.

11” seems very high. I was at Stratton this weekend and we had about 5”. It just wasn’t enough to really rebound the mountain. There were some major ice challenges by the early afternoon

Stratton was decent today. They reported 6” which looked accurate but it was mixed with sleet and freezing rain. Gondola windows had a nice coating of ice. Surface was nice on the greens and blues. Blacks turned quickly to boiler plate ice. Used the singles lines and only had to wait 1-3 minutes in lift lines. Skied 10am-1pm and got 10K in. Glad I went but craving the soft fully open conditions that we love.

Following the Killington vs Okemo discussion here.   I was a weekly commuter to VT for 30 years driving through Ludlow to Killington.   I have skied at both of those mountains plus Pico probably 1000 days combined.  I would most certainly find no issue thinking Killington gets substantially more snow then Okemo.  There are huge topography differences.  Killington is farther north enough to be much more part of the snow cloud that hits the larger core green mountains after passing the Champlain basin.  It’s not shadowed by Mt. Holly.  It’s base is at high elevation of vs Okemo and it’s over 4000 feet.  Try driving there from Okemo and you will notice you are headed uphill the whole way. The area is full of microclimates.  Plymouth, where I live is a perfect example as it’s a huge snow belt.  It’s not uncommon at all, for example, to drive north on 100 leaving Ludlow and have it flurrying lightly, only to have it be dumping in Plymouth, and then flurrying lightly at the rt 4 intersection then Pounding snow again at the bottom of the K access road and over Sherburne pass at Pico where I used to live.  That’s a very very common occurrence midwinter where heavy dustings occur night after night without a storm.