Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

8 hours ago, snowgeek said:

19" at Killington!?!?  Weird upslope event.  Taconics got more than southern Vermont mountains.  Driving to Stratton you could see that accumulations were all over the place.  Looks like Killington even opened some natural trails. Powerline and Ridge Run.Nice start for them.

Ridge was in great shape..top of double dipper too.  They probably could have pushed a couple more natural trails if they wanted, but I think the issue is some of the connections.  Overall, it’s in really great shape right now.

13 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Ridge was in great shape..top of double dipper too.  They probably could have pushed a couple more natural trails if they wanted, but I think the issue is some of the connections.  Overall, it’s in really great shape right now.

All day Saturday all I could think about was skiing Royal Flush. One of my favorite trails at K and over-looked once Skye, Bear, and the Canyon open up. In my few experiences it is like a lot of the snow in the Canyon blows onto Royal Flush and The Throne. Flush probably has the most character of any trail at K since it is still narrow, has all the water bars, grundle floss, etc. Skye Peak Lift Line or the few bands on lower Conclusion are my others. Probably have not done enough exploring though as I know there are some fun times to be had in the woods/area around The Jug. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

All day Saturday all I could think about was skiing Royal Flush. One of my favorite trails at K and over-looked once Skye, Bear, and the Canyon open up. In my few experiences it is like a lot of the snow in the Canyon blows onto Royal Flush and The Throne. Flush probably has the most character of any trail at K since it is still narrow, has all the water bars, grundle floss, etc. Skye Peak Lift Line or the few bands on lower Conclusion are my others. Probably have not done enough exploring though as I know there are some fun times to be had in the woods/area around The Jug. 

Royal Flush is amazing in the spring too.  A true New England classic for the beach on snow days.  The canyon in general catches the early season pow that is pretty often blowing around.  If you enter Big Dipper and stay in the woods hard skiers left almost coming out onto East Fall that's not only some of the best terrain on the mountain but also the snowiest.  Just piles in through there.  I'm thinking if some of these systems pan out it could be game on sometime next week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Royal Flush is amazing in the spring too.  A true New England classic for the beach on snow days.  The canyon in general catches the early season pow that is pretty often blowing around.  If you enter Big Dipper and stay in the woods hard skiers left almost coming out onto East Fall that's not only some of the best terrain on the mountain but also the snowiest.  Just piles in through there.  I'm thinking if some of these systems pan out it could be game on sometime next week.

Good to know. Doesn't get as much snow as others but the upper part of The Stairs was some of my favorite stuff tree-skiing. At this point I wouldn't complain about a couple south-west flows putting down 3-6" of slop followed by a hard freeze to make a base. Or just an extended window for Berkie to start making snow so I can stop freezing my ass off fishing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brewbeer said:

Royal Flush is an awesome trail, but it doesn't last long in the spring, it's got a southeasterly exposure and gets blasted by the sun as it gets higher in the sky later in the season. 

Yep.  Get it while the getting is good.  First couple warmish sunny days when most of the mountain refuses to soften, Royal Flush and Devils Fiddle are the places to be.

32 minutes ago, radarman said:

Yep.  Get it while the getting is good.  First couple warmish sunny days when most of the mountain refuses to soften, Royal Flush and Devils Fiddle are the places to be.

Devils Fiddle was my single favorite run in all of New England growing up.  I could ski that all day long.  The rock band, the brush, wide open, bumps, powder, slush... when that thing was open it has much more character than Outer Limits.  I don't know what it's like now, but it used to have high brush/bramble on skiers right but with slots and "chutes" cut into it.  So you'd have these narrow ski width wide slots between larger revegetation areas.  It seemed like that trail would ski differently every time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Devils Fiddle was my single favorite run in all of New England growing up.  I could ski that all day long.  The rock band, the brush, wide open, bumps, powder, slush... when that thing was open it has much more character than Outer Limits.  I don't know what it's like now, but it used to have high brush/bramble on skiers right but with slots and "chutes" cut into it.  So you'd have these narrow ski width wide slots between larger revegetation areas.  It seemed like that trail would ski differently every time.

Still totally awesome as of last March

20210310_144717_compress16_resize_37.thumb.jpg.6f5ce8c2bd1774e757777480ae5bd724.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Stratton employees were talking about staffing shortages too. It’s becoming a real problem. Resort town housing prices and rental prices don’t help.

Some of the resorts used to have a lot of foreign staff on work visas. I believe those programs have been suspended the past two years.

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah!  Look at that.  Where else in the East will you find that big, wide open expanse with a wide variety of cliff/rock drops, some technical turns, also easily skirted around... what a fun trail.

I'm guessing you have one of these on your car lol 

No one cares you ski mad river — No One Cares You Ski Mad River

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, eduggs said:

Some of the resorts used to have a lot of foreign staff on work visas. I believe those programs have been suspended the past two years.

Stratton relied heavily on these programs. So much so that they bought up hotels in the area, such as the two across from the Upper Pass Lodge on the Magic access road, as employee housing.

LOL - wildcat will open with Tomcat lift only - so nothing from top. route down will be cat tracks to middle wildcat to bobcat. This is NOT their normal opening which is essentially Lynx with some polecat at the top - although in 2006, I do remember skiing december 30 in this configuration but can't remember the circumstances - weather (it was snowing), mechanical problems, et cetera. Bobcat is wide.

5 minutes ago, Angus said:

LOL - wildcat will open with Tomcat lift only - so nothing from top. route down will be cat tracks to middle wildcat to bobcat. This is NOT their normal opening which is essentially Lynx with some polecat at the top - although in 2006, I do remember skiing december 30 in this configuration but can't remember the circumstances - weather (it was snowing), mechanical problems, et cetera. Bobcat is wide.

WOW, that is rough. Basically the same vert as skiing Sunday River. 

Just noticed Sugarbush got Ripcord and Spillsville open. I'm feeling a quick trip up.