Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

On 10/12/2021 at 5:50 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was just thinking the exact same thing. There’s only so much water they can pump at any given time. 
I’m starting to get a little nervous about the early season. Hopefully we see a snap to much colder in November that we have seen in recent years 

November cold is strongly predictive of good snowfall here - AN Novies like last year's are followed by BN/ratters more often than not.  October temps are just the opposite though the correlation is much weaker.

14 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm thinking about trying adaptive skiing this Winter.  Really miss being able to ski. My problem is getting off the chairlift. Suddenly I have no leg support and fall down.  Skiing the trail itself isn't a problem. 

Please check out Vermont Adaptive! They are doing great work and building a new facility at Sugarbush's Mt. Ellen. 

https://www.vermontadaptive.org/

• Like 2

Looks like an extended window for snowmaking for Killington starting Friday night. They are going to need a couple hundred gun salute on Superstar every chance they can for the World Cup event next month. Hopefully they are able to find the personnel to make it all happen.

I just got caught-up on the "Fast Tracks/Pass" option Powdr is offering. Brilliant move! Less litter under the chairlifts. On a powder day, skiers and riders in NY Giants and Rangers jerseys can easily dispose of their empty Bud Lite cans or cigarette butts by tossing them at "Fast Tracks" holders skipping the lines. There is going to be some serious heckling going on there by the Killington faithful. Mike S.'s comments on it appear as though it will have minimal/no real impact on lines. Probably be cancelled 2/3 months into the season like the last time this was tried. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

Hard pass. Good for him I guess?

I think he’s UVM… we did that back in college too.  Back when your body felt like it could take it better if things went south :lol:.  Also the risk reward balance seemed shifted.  I could deal with a broken leg better in college, just limp to classes on crutches… now it means missing work, money and a pain in the ass on multiple levels.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I think he’s UVM… we did that back in college too.  Back when your body felt like it could take it better if things went south :lol:.  Also the risk reward balance seemed shifted.  I could deal with a broken leg better in college, just limp to classes on crutches… now it means missing work, money and a pain in the ass on multiple levels.

Good points, though even when I was more reckless about stuff like this I would want at least 5" over mowed MRG slopes before getting out there. Also icelantics have bulletproof bases so on that front he's probably incurring less risk as well, lol. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Good points, though even when I was more reckless about stuff like this I would want at least 5" over mowed MRG slopes before getting out there. Also icelantics have bulletproof bases so on that front he's probably incurring less risk as well, lol. 

Yeah I’ve got a hard 6-8”+ limit now and that needs to be at least 6” near the base area.  I’ll skin but my days of carrying skis to the snow line are done.  I’ll just hike with the dog to see snow at that point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’ve got a hard 6-8”+ limit now and that needs to be at least 6” near the base area.  I’ll skin but my days of carrying skis to the snow line are done.  I’ll just hike with the dog to see snow at that point.

I’ll still put my skis on my pack and hike to the snow line… if I have the beta and know there’s a couple feet of bomber snow up high.  Having to hike a bit in the lower elevations is worth it if you know you’re heading for nearly midwinter conditions where you don’t even have to worry about the subsurface.  In addition, hiking in Tele boots is quite pleasant, since they're just like a very supportive hiking boot.  So when the difference between just going up for a hike vs. having the option for turns is just a couple of relatively light skis on my pack, it tips the balance a bit more.

In general, I’m in the same camp as you.  If you can’t skin right from the base, that immediately puts into question the potential quality of the skiing up high (or how high I’m going to have to go to get to good snow).  You have to have quite an accumulation gradient up there somewhere to go from nothing to excellent in the early season when there’s no existing base in place.  In the spring when there’s plenty of existing base, and the weather is beautiful, the calculation can be a bit different.

• Like 2

This is no slight on either Killington or Sugarbush - I like each area - but $170-169 is simply unimaginable. This IMO is just another way of saying 'we only want season passholders skiing here.' Or maybe they have deeply discounted advanced ticket pricing.

46 minutes ago, Angus said:

This is no slight on either Killington or Sugarbush - I like each area - but $170-169 is simply unimaginable. This IMO is just another way of saying 'we only want season passholders skiing here.' Or maybe they have deeply discounted advanced ticket pricing.

It’s advanced ticket sales.  Like Stowe is on there at what, $164?  Right now you can buy day tickets for $69 online good for any day of the season… or buy the Epic pass daily of passes.  But day tickets right now are $100 less bought in advance.

It’s literally how everything in life is set up right now…buy ahead of time, things are regarded as “reasonable”… but if you want to walk up to an airline counter, rental car counter, ticket office for a concert, sporting event, etc minutes before said activity you will pay out the arse.  If you buy anything online ahead of time, it’s significantly cheaper.

Even down in South Carolina playing golf this week… buy online ahead of time, play for like $75 per round midweek.  Or, just walk up to the course and pay $140 with no prior research.

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s advanced ticket sales.  Like Stowe is on there at what, $164?  Right now you can buy day tickets for $69 online good for any day of the season… or buy the Epic pass daily of passes.  But day tickets right now are $100 less bought in advance.

It’s literally how everything in life is set up right now…buy ahead of time, things are regarded as “reasonable”… but if you want to walk up to an airline counter, rental car counter, ticket office for a concert, sporting event, etc minutes before said activity you will pay out the arse.  If you buy anything online ahead of time, it’s significantly cheaper.

Even down in South Carolina playing golf this week… buy online ahead of time, play for like $75 per round midweek.  Or, just walk up to the course and pay $140 with no prior research.

I actually disagree with that-for many sporting events, if you're buying tickets on the secondary market, the best (well, cheapest) time to buy is very close to the game time.

You're right on travel products though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I actually disagree with that-for many sporting events, if you're buying tickets on the secondary market, the best (well, cheapest) time to buy is very close to the game time.

You're right on travel products though.

Ah right the secondary markets.  I was thinking from the actual event ticketing dept itself.  You can definitely find transferable products that people who bought cheap in advance and use for resale.

• Like 1

$69 advance purchase out west where the snow conditions are much less variable is probably a chance I would take. I'm hard pressed to purchase a ticket now for mid-march in NE and I will ski  in just about anything!

as I stated, I moved from the epic pass to the indy  pass this year. I already have a six days of skiing planned out west at indy areas. given some of the distances from metrowest boston, I am interested to see the # of days I get in - BEast, Magic, WV, Pat's Peak (night?), Cannon, Black are all day trips. Bolton (day trip viable!) and Jay will probably paired up as back-to-back days. Saddleback, I will combine with SLoaf 5 pack I purchased for something like $60/day.

Taking my skis to get tuned tomorrow!