Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

5 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z NAM.  Complete disaster if this had been a snow storm.  Lot of forecast busts on the way…

D0A5FF72-C54B-423E-82AE-CE8B3B3E55FE.png

Ehhh... the models are going to struggle with the placement of the heaviest rains as is typical in this situation.  Either way, a lot of times the east side of these storms is where the most action occurs.

14 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Amazingly,  finally scored a hit.  1 - 2 punch of decent storm.  Best stuff  slid just north, but scraped between .6 and .7 I'd bet.  Still lightning too close to go out and check.  Have to check in the morning.  This was the last of the storms for the evening based on radar, so that was a huge score.  PWS just north have between 1 and 1.5 inches.  I live 1/2 mile too far south.

*eta

Oh hell, I underestimated.   At least 1" in the gage!  Hard to see exactly in the dark with a flashlight,  but def an inch.  

Man, that just felt good. 

Must be nice. Walking on my lawn feels like walking on corn flakes. Storms have missed in every direction for weeks. Getting old. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris21 said:

Ehhh... the models are going to struggle with the placement of the heaviest rains as is typical in this situation.  Either way, a lot of times the east side of these storms is where the most action occurs.

We will see what the rest of the 12Z suite shows.  3K was further east.  Actually at this point, I am just going to look at the radar every hour…

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 8:18 PM, EastCoast NPZ said:

Add .16" from  midweek "storms" and the .6" yesterday.

Brings the total since May 3 to 6.27".

Euro and NAM say I get that much Thursday.  Lol.  I'll take the way, way under, but that'd be funny.

1.05" yesterday evening brings total since May 3 to 7.32".  Nearly 3" of that in the last 2 weeks, or since right before Henri.  It has turned decidedly "wetter" out here. 

19 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Central PA can have 7-8" of rain. I don't want it. Just have a spinny make its way through the county park down the street from me so there's no property damage. Thanks.

I have a neighbor that hasn't mowed in weeks.  If I could get a spinny thing scour that ground to dirt and only that yard it would be swell.

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

I have a neighbor that hasn't mowed in weeks.  If I could get a spinny thing scour that ground to dirt and only that yard it would be swell.

Extreme lawn-mowing!

But yeah...my one neighbor tends to mow once every 5-6 weeks. They're lovely people, but it's infuriating. The folks that used to live there kept their place immaculate, but these folks...don't.

26 minutes ago, H2O said:

11 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Extreme lawn-mowing!

But yeah...my one neighbor tends to mow once every 5-6 weeks. They're lovely people, but it's infuriating. The folks that used to live there kept their place immaculate, but these folks...don't.

My bad, guys. I’ll get on that.

It’s cloudy out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• mappy unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

August total 4.73"

Lowest temp 59, highest 93.

5.27” here for August, and your temperature extremes would make me think it wasn’t a bad month at all. But we all know the truth…

BALTIMORE MD...BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL THURGOOD MARSHALL AIRPORT...

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN AUGUST 2021 WAS WELL ABOVE NORMAL. IT WAS THE 5TH WARMEST AUGUST ON RECORD. IT WAS THE WARMEST AUGUST SINCE 1995, WHEN THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE WAS 80.1 DEGREES.

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

5.27” here for August, and your temperature extremes would make me think it wasn’t a bad month at all. But we all know the truth…

BALTIMORE MD...BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL THURGOOD MARSHALL AIRPORT...

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN AUGUST 2021 WAS WELL ABOVE NORMAL. IT WAS THE 5TH WARMEST AUGUST ON RECORD. IT WAS THE WARMEST AUGUST SINCE 1995, WHEN THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE WAS 80.1 DEGREES.

KNAK (Navy) is my close station, and the same numbers there are 7.34", Lowest 63, Highest 91. 

So, living in a woodland, I might miss some rainfall, but I run 2 gauges, and they have agreed within a tenth or so. On the day we hit 59f, I seem to recall that many of our AmWx pals were into the mid 50s. I had 6 90+ days, and KNAK reported 5. KNAK reports avg temp departure of +1.5. BWI claims +3.5. (I don't record this item)

What made it a "bad month" was the very high humidity here. Seemed like every day had a DP around 80 for a couple weeks. 

Link for the USNA station August data (hopefullly): https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=lwx

edit: Well, the link doesn't quite take you straight to the August page, (requires more clicks), so I'll try to paste in an image here:

image.png.df10a2e71a12387ea42023cb79427652.png

Little late, but here are my numbers for August 2021

Averaged high was 85.5 degrees vs a normal of 82.7 degrees, a +2.8 degrees above average. The warmest day was the 13th with a 93.2 degree reading. The averaged low was 63.4 degrees vs a normal of 60.4 degrees. a +3.0 degrees above the average. The coolest temp recorded was 57.1 degrees on both the 2nd and 5th. The overall average temp was 74.5 degrees vs a normal of 71.6 degrees, a +2.9 degrees above average. Total rainfall for the month was 6.29 inches vs a normal of 3.32 inches, a +2.97 inches above normal and it slides into 4th wettest August on record. The wettest day was the 18th with 1.41 inches falling. There were 13 days with measurable, 4 days with a 'T' and 14 dry days. The highest wind recorded was 25 mph on the 18th. Two new records for the month, both rainfalls happening on the 30th and the 15th. Overall a warm and wet month, although the first 12 days only recorded a 'T'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2