Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

I knew it was too good to be true having that dry spot up into Calvert county.  Reality is starting to intercede.  Basically the negative of a winter storm.  

You know what....suddenly I feel much better about us buying the house with 400ft of elevation versus the one that had a nice big stream running through the backyard last month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MDphotog said:

You know what....suddenly I feel much better about us buying the house with 400ft of elevation versus the one that had a nice big stream running through the backyard last month.

Chesapeake bay is going to start resembling the everglades.  We're already part way there with AGW, apparently in st Mary's county there's been an alligator living in some pond for over a year now.  Survived last winter...not that that was much of a challenge.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

Chesapeake bay is going to start resembling the everglades.  We're already part way there with AGW, apparently in st Mary's county there's been an alligator living in some pond for over a year now.  Survived last winter...not that that was much of a challenge.  

A carefully aimed .22 would take care of that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Why on earth has no one trapped that thing, before it ends up killing a child?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronTy said:

I read in the local paper that the authorities aren't releasing exactly where it's been spotted because "they don't want a bunch of rednecks" (actual quote) converging on the area trying to shoot up the place.  SoMD....

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Why on earth has no one trapped that thing, before it ends up killing a child?

$5 says its for snakehead control.  One invasive species held in check by another.

1 minute ago, H2O said:

$5 says its for snakehead control.  One invasive species held in check by another.

Alligator may be in St. Mary's County, official says | Local | somdnews.com

Walker would not disclose the location of the lake, citing public safety. “It’s fairly close to a residential area,” he said.

“We don’t want 87 rednecks going in there and trying to shoot up the area,” Edwards said. “It’s going to a preserve in Florida.”

2 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Walker would not disclose the location of the lake, citing public safety. “It’s fairly close to a residential area,” he said.

“We don’t want 87 rednecks going in there and trying to shoot up the area,” Edwards said. “It’s going to a preserve in Florida.”

I know a guy

image.png.f9edcbf704a6d5e3dc812fd64a4cea5d.png

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Apparently it is very wily and whenever they see it the thing books outta there. 

Same story says they are trying to catch it and then release it down in Florida.  

Oh yeah...definitely worth the trouble and cost to take an alligator from Maryland down to Florida. Kind of like on HHI where they "relocate" alligators that get a little too used to people.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Oh yeah...definitely worth the trouble and cost to take an alligator from Maryland down to Florida. Kind of like on HHI where they "relocate" alligators that get a little too used to people.

That’s cause they taste like chicken

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

So it's close to a residential area, and the concern is that rednecks come and shoot up the area??  That is a whole new level of stupidity. 

Of course, why should I be surprised.  These are the same idiots who are being outsmarted by an alligator. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

So it's close to a residential area, and the concern is that rednecks come and shoot up the area??  That is a whole new level of stupidity. 

Of course, why should I be surprised.  These are the same idiots who are being outsmarted by an alligator. 

I think it was last summer, there was a gator loose in southern calvert county and some local came in with a crossbow and killed it.   Personally I say bring on the gators, maybe they would help with the deer overpopulation?

1 hour ago, mappy said:

he's my favorite on that show

Yeah we watched that show too. Then it just got too repetitive. I mean there's not much else to what they do. lol  I think the show needs more stories about their lives. I'd be interested in what they cook. lol  But it's just the same people riding around catching gators. 

4 minutes ago, IronTy said:

I think it was last summer, there was a gator loose in southern calvert county and some local came in with a crossbow and killed it.   Personally I say bring on the gators, maybe they would help with the deer overpopulation?

I can't think of a more terrifying scenario than of children swimming in, or playing near, local water spots with an unexpected and unseen threat such as this around.  Almost no one at this latitude would even suspect this.  It's a tragedy waiting to happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

Yeah we watched that show too. Then it just got too repetitive. I mean there's not much else to what they do. lol  I think the show needs more stories about their lives. I'd be interested in what they cook. lol  But it's just the same people riding around catching gators. 

truth.

7 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

truth.

Its 10 min of boats driving, 5 min of personal stuff, and 45 min of slow mo camera in the water with flailing gator while someone yells "shoot!!!" over and over.

8 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I can't think of a more terrifying scenario than of children swimming in, or playing near, local water spots with an unexpected and unseen threat such as this around.  Almost no one at this latitude would even suspect this.  It's a tragedy waiting to happen.

After watching Jaws as a kid I was convinced a great white would show up in the Chessie Bay at my beach and swallow our little boat while fishing.  And that movie with the gator in the sewers made me poo outside for a year.

Obs 80F, baro 29.84 to make this post non banter

• Haha 1

• mappy unpinned this topic