Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

9 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

@IronTy

8/14 repeat incoming. 1.06” so far, 9.61” for the month. It’s still pouring. About to get back-to-back double-digit monthly totals for August. This isn’t normal, I don’t care what anyone says.

We ended up with just under 3.25" here from the storms, again Huntingtown appears to have had a pocket of heavier rain than prince Frederick.

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

A house in the West End got zapped. Presumed struck a very tall tree right next to the house, and then it went along the roof to the chimney nearby. It blew ~50 rows of brick out of the chimney all over the yard. 

Happened to the Laundromat in Manchester too:  https://www.wbaltv.com/article/lightning-strikes-top-manchester-laundromat/37419556# 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Yeah. I saw the big storms blow up right over your house from colliding boundaries and even considered asking you for a report. (Curious George.)

Yeah I wasn’t home for it, but apparently it was a pretty good storm. Sad I missed it lol

8 minutes ago, MDphotog said:

Not a bad regular old summer thunderstorm went through Hagerstown, but looks like it got a cramp trying to hop over South Mountain and collapsed.

Just commented on that. Tho looks pretty dark from my view over gambrill state park. These systems lately have often times just rained themselves out. Lack of shear I guess, though not sure.

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Just commented on that. Tho looks pretty dark from my view over gambrill state park. These systems lately have often times just rained themselves out. Lack of shear I guess, though not sure.

Could also be from the downslope after South Mt or Braddock Heights.  I know it was so annoying up in Walkersville when they would die out right before reaching us.

1 minute ago, MDphotog said:

Could also be from the downslope after South Mt or Braddock Heights.  I know it was so annoying up in Walkersville when they would die out right before reaching us.

How did you like that area by the way compared to Hagerstown? (Figured I’d ask as I wait for the storm here lol). Some nice homes up there. I work remote and have been exploring the area.

24 minutes ago, 87storms said:

How did you like that area by the way compared to Hagerstown? (Figured I’d ask as I wait for the storm here lol). Some nice homes up there. I work remote and have been exploring the area.

Have only been here for about a month, so too early to tell yet weather wise. :)  The real test will be this winter. Haha I did like the Walkersville area, it was really nice, but unfortunately just not homes available when we needed to purchase.  So we headed further West.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MDphotog said:

Have only been here for about a month, so too early to tell yet weather wise. :)  The real test will be this winter. Haha I did like the Walkersville area, it was really nice, but unfortunately just not homes available when we needed to purchase.  So we headed further West.

I think that area will do better in fringe winter events. Growing up in southern Moco, sleet makes an early entrance at times while those areas towards Frederick/Washington counties (and even Germantown) might stay all snow. Prob would do better with clippers as well. Not sure how that area would do with lake effect stuff though…might need to be closer to Cumberland/frostburg.

Question for those who know a ton more than I do. I know what an outflow boundary is and how you can see it on the Radar pushing out ahead of the incoming storms.  Right now I see the same type boundary moving towards the cells on radar.  Is there a name for what this is, or is it just a radar anomaly? 

1 hour ago, toolsheds said:

Question for those who know a ton more than I do. I know what an outflow boundary is and how you can see it on the Radar pushing out ahead of the incoming storms.  Right now I see the same type boundary moving towards the cells on radar.  Is there a name for what this is, or is it just a radar anomaly? 

Don’t see it now, but I saw it earlier. Probably is the backdoor cold front.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I doubt even @EastCoast NPZ missed out on these storms.

Close.  Got .6" out of nearly 4 hours of thunderstorms.  Got about 15 minutes of light rain out of the storm that went overhead.  As it exploded after getting to my east I was able to get about 10 minutes of a decent downpour from the rear flank.  After that it was off and on drizzle as thunder rocked all around.  Storms kept sliding just to my north, then east of me.  PWS near the lake, just about a mile away, got 1.3".  Places at the tip of the county must have got a couple inches.

Basically,  the kids got to go trick- or-treating and I got a caramel apple.

How'd you do?

Feels comparatively amazing out there this morning. Dewpoint is 66 with a temp of 69 and a breeze. Just did some mowing and did not sweat at all. Incredible.

The backdoor front made it through, but it wont last long as the front will be heading back north in short order and the soup will be back on.

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic