Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

26 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

It seems like more than ever some places get huge rains while others get very little.  It is really weird.  I was hoping this one would be more spread out but nope, all the heavy stuff is just to my east and southeast and can't get here.

I'd love to see a region-wide accumulated precip map for the last 3 months.   The disparity must be astounding. 

46 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

It seems like more than ever some places get huge rains while others get very little.  It is really weird.  I was hoping this one would be more spread out but nope, all the heavy stuff is just to my east and southeast and can't get here.

It’s actually not that weird. Summer rains tend to be a lot more localized, so some folks get hammered while others stay drier.

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s anything to be made from the disparity other than the fact that in summer you have tremendous available moisture much of the time. So when it does rain, it can rain a lot, quickly. If you happen to get it, you get a lot. When you don’t, you don’t. It’s pretty much luck of the draw. 

Being on the lee side of the mountains out here probably hurts some, but by and large I think it’s just luck or lack thereof.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t think there’s anything to be made from the disparity other than the fact that in summer you have tremendous available moisture much of the time. So when it does rain, it can rain a lot, quickly. If you happen to get it, you get a lot. When you don’t, you don’t. It’s pretty much luck of the draw. 

Being on the lee side of the mountains out here probably hurts some, but by and large I think it’s just luck or lack thereof.

@EastCoast NPZknew where he was moving.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

@EastCoast NPZknew where he was moving.

I thought by getting out of stephens city and the shadow of North Mountain I'd left this nonsense behind.  But this place is even worse.  Been here 2 summers and yet to see even 1 good thunder storm and real downpour (2"+ / hr).  If we get a storm, we're always on the edge or it's dying on approach and strengthening on exit.

12 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I thought by getting out of stephens city and the shadow of North Mountain I'd left this nonsense behind.  But this place is even worse.  Been here 2 summers and yet to see even 1 good thunder storm and real downpour (2"+ / hr).  If we get a storm, we're always on the edge or it's dying on approach and strengthening on exit.

Yeah but at least you get winter out there. I just keep the same mud fest year round here. It's a mud fest out there now and it will be a mud fest in January. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I think you are experiencing an anomaly. My experience is the the nw part of the county is the typical hotspot for thunderstorms.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic