Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Bummed to be missing a fun weather week - pretty nice down here in Nags Head, but got kicked off the beach by distant thunder, as has been the theme all summer.

Good to hear about Nags Head!  My sister and family are there and she was very worried about a dreary week.  Latest forecast looks a lot better than it did a couple days ago.

We got kicked off north OC on Friday for a thunderstorm sliding east a few miles to the north.  Any idea what the rule is -- just audible thunder?  People were mad because everyone seems to have radar on their phones and were complaining that it's not coming this way :P

On a dumb note, after an early morning TS that missed very close but with visible CTG bolts right over the water just 1-2 miles out, there was a guy with two little kids running around on the sand :blink: 

Good to hear about Nags Head!  My sister and family are there and she was very worried about a dreary week.  Latest forecast looks a lot better than it did a couple days ago.
We got kicked off north OC for a on Friday for a thunderstorm sliding east a few miles to the north.  Any idea what the rule is -- just audible thunder?  People were mad because everyone seems to have radar on their phones and were complaining that it's not coming this way 
On a dumb note, after an early morning TS that missed very close but with visible CTG bolts right over the water just 1-2 miles out, there was a guy with two little kids running around on the sand :blink: 

I say kicked off loosely - thunder was fairly audible and I checked radar and pulled the plug for our family - seemed like the anvil was expanding overhead so seemed safest. Maybe the guards would have kicked us off shortly, though.

Last night’s radar was amazing to watch. It propagated northward and eastward up across the Bay, literally to the Chester River, where it turned more easterly such that the heavy cells streamed just south of my location. It rained hard for a couple brief moments then gently. There was 2 inches within a few miles to the south. It’s still been pretty dry, haven’t  been covered by heavy rain at all. The last few nights have been optimal for viewing spectacular lightning in the distance though….

0.20 inches last night….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, high risk said:

Very concerned about the areas that got crushed last night for the week ahead.    Multiple chances for more large rain totals this week, perhaps as soon as very late tonight.

I hope it's more widespread this time.

2 hours ago, high risk said:

Very concerned about the areas that got crushed last night for the week ahead.    Multiple chances for more large rain totals this week, perhaps as soon as very late tonight.

High PWATs all week will just dump rain

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

High PWATs all week will just dump rain

While I appreciate the rain, I bike the Northwest Branch bike trail to Anacostia Park in Bladensburg. Last week, the path at some points was covered with deep sand from the Northwest Branch overflowing. It will be interesting if I can continue to ride it this week. After the big storms there were a few large branches that fell on the trail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, high risk said:

Yeah it looks like 3 periods where heavy rain is possible through next Saturday, the first being later tonight into tomorrow. The first threat looks like it is focused on DC and just west/sw.

Got clobbered yet again here in south central Texas, 2 more inches, sitting at 39 inches for the year, 6.5 inches for August. We are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY above normal now lol.

Gardens are goin wild lol. Got lots and lots of fresh rainwater in huge buckets all ready to go.

Just when we thought it was dryin' up..........NOPE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Yeah it looks like 3 periods where heavy rain is possible through next Saturday, the first being later tonight into tomorrow. The first threat looks like it is focused on DC and just west/sw. 

Rainfall totals for the Eastern areas really doesn't look like anything too special.  Very speculative looking out determining where greater than half an inch of rain may fall.  Could very well be a dry week for certain areas despite the clouds . 

21 hours ago, fourseasons said:

The lightning was so intense and of such a long duration that it recharged the battery on my deck's solar lights so they ran until dawn.  Normally, this time of year they conk out by 2 a.m.

I also noticed that for quite a while the lightning was a combination of your standard white along with flashes with a red tinge.

We didn't get the flooding rain that some folks mentioned above, but the lightning late Saturday/early Sunday AM in that storm complex that blew up out of nowhere was easily the most intense I've seen in the 30+ years I've lived in NoVA.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, H2O said:

showers here.  hoping it stays light.  no Sat night repeats

I do have to say I was thankful for some of the heavy stuff out near Berryville Sat night. Had a show in Millwood and the rings have been so dry. To the point of so much dust you cannot see the horses going around except for them coughing up a lung from inhaling the dust. Got there yesterday morning to a ring that actually has some puddling in it. Ring did not have to be watered at all and could see the horses and their lungs were all clear. 

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic