Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

The general pattern this week into next weekend looks conducive for multiple chances of heavy rain and possible flash flooding, with the mid week period being influenced by the remnants of Fred. Just looked at the hi-res rainfall totals and several locales along and south of a line from DC to Dover have seen 4-6" over the past 72 hours. 

gfs_mslp_pwat_us_16.png

There have been two corridors of heavy rainfall the past two weeks one from Dover East and Southeast and another from Philadelphia East Northeast across central Southern New Jersey

18 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Storm total: 4.15”

Monthly total: 6.70”

I had hoped things were going back to normal IMBY the last few months- nope, we’re back to the extreme pattern of 2018-2020.

It has been much more localized. Nothing like the widespread above normal rains for the coastal plain like say last year.

Just under 3" for the month here, but there are places just to my south and east that have twice that in the last 5 days.

23 minutes ago, frd said:

There have been two corridors of heavy rainfall the past two weeks one from Dover East and Southeast and another from Philadelphia East Northeast across central Southern New Jersey

I was just looking at the monthly rainfall analysis. Your area is in a precip min hole compared to the general area. Looks like a max of an inch for the month from NE MD into N DE.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I was just looking at the monthly rainfall analysis. Your area is in a precip min hole compared to the general area. Looks like a max of an inch for the month from NE MD into N DE.

That might change this week.  LOL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeatherShak said:

Oh no! I fell asleep. Going to check mine now. Hope you don’t have too much of a mess…

Was up until 3 cleaning and shop vac’ing. Thankfully it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Mostly some mats and rugs. I was able to contain most of it to a small area. 

Still more to do but no major damage

• Like 2

The lightning was so intense and of such a long duration that it recharged the battery on my deck's solar lights so they ran until dawn.  Normally, this time of year they conk out by 2 a.m.

I also noticed that for quite a while the lightning was a combination of your standard white along with flashes with a red tinge.

• Like 3

As we were packing up to come home from OC early yesterday morning, we had a surprise thunderstorm develop literally a few thousand feet to the east and move away, which I was glad for since we were loading the car.  I got to see some great lightning strikes over the water and could see the heavy curtain of rain maybe 2000 feet away.  I tried taking a pic but it didn't work.  

It was a good view of what it looks like when I get Germantowned with a storm missing me by a mile or two.  Here is what it looked like on radar as it blew up

image.png.0a4890627bfbacdb863e027834fb9357.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Feels like there is just no in between around here.  The have's get crushed, the not's sit by longingly.  Winter for example.

Spot on.  Very strange.  We were missed the deluge of multiple rounds of t-storms over a 2+ week period.  Finally got a good gully washer Friday night, with the 70mph winds that came with that round and "1.80.  Last night we got .32" while less than 2 miles away got nailed. 

Sorry to hear about your bsmt.  Hope the recovery goes well.  From the looks of things for this week, more on the way this week.  Parts of Alexandria are interesting and prone to flooding anyway.  Throw in the rates last night and that made it even worse.  Saw a report of someone getting 3" in 30 mins.  That's like Bangkok during a tropical event - amazing experience.  

• mappy unpinned this topic