Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

Mount Holly AFD-

If you are a fan of summer, then have no fear. Summer makes a return to our area over the weekend and into early next week. The upper trough swings offshore by late Saturday night which should lead to some ridging across the Mid-Atlantic. At the surface, Bermuda high pressure sets up shop and puts us into a more summer- like regime. With southwest flow at the surface and up through the lower levels of the atmosphere, we will see both an increase in temperatures and dew points, leading to a bit more steamy airmass across the region. 850mb temps will rise into the upper teens to around 20 C through the first half of the week. This will translate into high temperatures back into lower 90s with some spots near or into the mid 90s by midweek. The kicker will be that the dew points will rise back into the lower to mid 70s as we progress through the week and this may allow for heat index values in the upper 90s to lower 100s for Monday through Wednesday. Heat headlines may be needed so this time frame will need to be closely monitored.

OC, MD a little over an inch today with a steady 20 mph NE wind and highs only near 70.  EURO redeemed itself today.  

Can see clearing skies on the western horizon.  Next 5 plus days here look sunny with increasing heat.  Hopefully get one more beach day in am before heading back West Friday am.  Looks like I will be coming back to crispy grass and trees that will need watering…

Picture added a little after 8pm.

2FFCB667-DFE1-4847-9699-7941B34ADF65.jpeg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The upcoming period is looking more like the typical hot/humid stretches we have seen this summer, with temps in the low 90s. The 7 days of mid to upper 90s the GFS was advertising was just the GFS doing what it does.

This makes EJ unhappy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tuesday-Thursday exceed 95 each day at BWI at least. Pending if we get any showers and storms Wednesday and Thursday. Although it looks dry until then, dare I say a wet/stormy pattern after that?

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tuesday-Thursday exceed 95 each day at BWI at least. Pending if we get any showers and storms Wednesday and Thursday. Although it looks dry until then, dare I say a wet/stormy pattern after that?

Yeah looks like it will turn more active with storm chances by mid next week, and maybe a shot of severe by late week as a front approaches.

Have been in France for 3+ weeks. Started off warm with 80° in Northern France.  Many rainy and cooler periods the rest of time but we lucked out during the day. Been a wet summer in France, we’re told. Nice fall preview, after initial “heat”. Got to 12,600 feet on Mont Blanc in French Alps.  It is the highest point in Alps — and all of Europe. Had some snow grains falling for a while. Freezing temps. Winter preview!?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

LOL, I just can't buy a rain shower here in the last month. Yesterday I had 75-90 minutes, yes over an hour of thunder and lightning, then about 15-20 raindrops fell on the deck.... watering yard continues. 

Did someone hack your account? Someone close to me? Lol

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

Sounding suspiciously like we're not actually going to bake all this week and that we may get some storms before heading into a wetter period.

Weird how that works, huh?

I mean, it’s not going to exactly be cool this week, but maybe we avoid the triple digits entirely this summer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattie g said:

But seriously...lots of guidance has shifted well NW today. Might be a local droughtbuster for some!

I haven't looked at models in ages, but saw a tweet from Ian that showed the NW shift. Imagine if it was winter. :lol: 

• mappy unpinned this topic